Independent Lens Test Sources?

I'm a great admirer of Erwin Puts, we had coffee and a nice conversation in his home town in the Netherlands a few years ago, he's definitely not the fraud some people imply. And he's the only one whos tests are thorough and controlled enough to be trustable. But even when he's right it doesn't mean necessarily that its relevant to everyone. For example he points out the many flaws in the 50 Summilux-M performance and yet that's the one I use the most and I love the look from it. And Erwin never called me names for not agreeing with him.

<i>I'm looking for controlled tests vs subjective impressions</i><br><br>

Depending on what you shoot, there are many who would say that it's the subjective impressions that count. Most published tests pit one lens against another (or others) then draw general conclusions based on a sample of one in each case. No-one bothers to replicate such tests so the methodology is pretty unreliable.<br><br>

In any case, resolution tests or MTF charts suggest differences between lenses that are not discriminable in many photographs. Better to spend some time searching and reading the archives here for verbal reports. You would be surprised at the frequency of agreement in some cases.

I am a big believer in lens test by laboratories. Certainly lens test labs based their report on one lens sample, hence it is possible

two different labs have different accessments<p>

However, you can compare the results from different labs, you will find that there more consensous then difference<p>

photodo, chasseur d'image, foto Magazin, color foto, popular photography, all published lens tests.