increased edge density

gary_meader

OK, so I've heard of the increased edge density on tray

developed sheet film for years, but now that I am doing 8x10, I

get to experience it for myself. I'm using HP5+, D-76 in a tray.

The tray is roughly 8x10, but there's enough room to pick the film

up. My agaitation is; end over end, continuous and mild for the

1st min. then the film lays in the developer for 50 sec., then

agitation for 10 sec /min. The density problem is along the

8"side of the negs. So what do you all do to avoid this? 8x10

would be a lot more fun if the negs looked good! Thanks

For 50 years I've wondered why the old timers (and George Tice) always put so much emphasis on edge burning their prints. I never needed to do it, and I've shot everything from Minox to 4x5. After reading your post I finally put 2+2 together. Thanks! (PS, I think that he's right about using 11x14 trays.)

Twas asked: What is end over end versus side over side agitation.

If Gary is always picking up the sheet by the 8" end, I would think there would be more developer left on the 8" ends of the film during the course of developement. If he alternated by picking up the film along the 11" side, that would cut in half the time the extra developer was on the 8" edge. I've never developed 8x10 film in an 8x10 tray and the 8x10 paper I've developed was in much larger trays, so I'm just thinkin' out loud here. But I was taught to lift the paper by alternating all 4 sides during agitation.

PJW

Hello,

Yes to larger trays, more developer soln., rotate the stack of film after each cycle of agitation, and I think you should try nearly constant agitation. Keep rotating the sheets through the stack. Letting the film sit there in a stack lets the dev. seep in at the edges but doesn't let the rest of the film get fresh solution.

Hi,

Using a larger tray as already suggested is a good idea and also you might want to check your film holders for light leaks. I have some older holders and I always have an area of increased density along the 8" edge that is adjacent to the slot for the dark slide. I had increased density along the hinge side until I repaired the tape.

I hope this helps.

Art Nichols

Use a larger tray for sure. But that's not your problem. I bet this is

noticeable mostly with subjects that are light in tone. The

problem is bellows flare. Only way around it is to use an 11x14

(or a 10x12) with an 8x10 back. If that is impossible, and I realize

that it is (no one does that), make sure you use a lens shade.

I've been shooting 8x10 for a short while. Of course, I do my own darkroom work. I developed my sheets in an 8x10 tray with HC-110. My agitation was picking up a side of the tray every second or two, alternating side/top every 10 seconds or so. No problems that were obvious.

I have since switched to a Jobo CPE and 2840 drum. No problems at all. Every once in a while i get a slightly underfixed section, but it is always out of the image area, and I'm working on this problem now.