In terms of bokeh, what is the best Nikon MF 50mm lenses that delivers?

cc_chang2

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have decided to buy a Panasonic GH1 and mount Nikon lenses on it. I have a 50/1.8 AFD lens, but do not like the bokeh that it produces. I have a Sigma 50/1.4 that delivers outstanding bokeh but it does not have an aperture ring. Most of the adapters now do not allow aperture control of G-lenses and those that do are expensive and may not work well. I am thus interested in looking into old MF 50 mm lenses that may be cheaper and work better than the 50/1.8 in the area of bokeh. Just to clarify by good bokeh, I mean it is "creamy" and not "busy." Thanks.</p>

<p>I love my Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50 for it's background-blur.<br>

Don't know if this vintage lens delivers good or bad bokeh - I just like it and prefer it's background-rendition over the one from the 50/1.2 Ais.<br>

The 50/1.4 AF-D renders out-of-focus highlights horrible.<br>

Hope this helps and please excuse my english, georg.</p><div>00UgBD-178507584.jpg.1ab7c80bd050bb9ddfd109fc06402a54.jpg</div>

<p>None of the 50mm Nikkors I've owned or tried had consistently pleasant bokeh in all conditions. The 50/2 AI is very good with some backgrounds but demonstrates nisen-bokeh in backgrounds with hard edges, particularly straight lines, typical of many Nikkors. The 50/1.8D AF and 50/1.4D AF Nikkors seemed identical in my tests so I got the 50/1.8. It's pretty much like the 50/2, pleasant with some backgrounds, busy in others. When I want to use a lens wide open for a soft look - not mushy, just flattering softness and low contrast - I'll use the 50/2 AI. Good lens, just not the best bokeh I've seen.</p>

<p>If you want a manual focus Nikkor and don't mind a longer focal length, the 85/2 AIS has pleasant or at least inoffensive bokeh. It's about the size length as a typical 50mm, a little heavier, almost as sharp as my 105/2.5 AI, and with satisfactory rendering of out of focus backgrounds - no problems with nisen-bokeh that I've seen. Good value used too.</p>

<p>And since your Panasonic offers the option to use other lens mounts...<br>

The only lenses I've personally used with consistently pleasant bokeh were manual focus Zuikos for the OM-series. The older silver nose 50/1.4 Zuiko was a peach. The very inexpensive 50/1.8 multi-coated Zuikos have very pleasant bokeh and are sharp and contrastier than the earlier silver nose Zuikos. (Avoid the 50/3.5 Zuiko macro if you want soft bokeh - like most macro lenses it's designed for sharpness, not pleasant bokeh.)</p>

<p>Runner-ups, the Canon FD series 50mm. The older 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 breechlock ring era FD's were also good. The S.C. and S.S.C. breechlock ring FD's in general were very pleasant lenses, a good balance between satisfactory sharpness and satisfactory bokeh.</p>