In need of a w/a lens for my 5D

charles_lipton

Hi..

Currently I own the 24-105mm, 135mm f/2L and the 100mm USM Macro; nothing wider

than 24mm or longer that 135mm (but that's a whole 'nother issue). When I

owned the 20D I used th 17-40mm as my primary walkaround lens. I sold the 20D

and the 17-40mm to help finance the 5D. Now I wish I had it back, sorta.

The 17-40mm is a bit old and long in the tooth. I wonder if there are any

rumors, conjecture, speculation or opinion as to maybe a new or IS version in

the works? I'd really like the 16-35mm II but it's out of my budget.

Suggestions? Nice comments welcomed.

Thanks

Sounds like the 17-40 is your best option. For group shots you probably use a flash so f4

should be fine. I cant see paying double for the 1 extra stop either.

its not that old only about 4 years old, still a high quality lens.

I agree on the 17-40 L. Very nice on a 5D. But then you think it's "long in the tooth" - makes me laugh as this is the view normally held by the technojunkies who just want the latest gadget, not they will actually use them. Go for it!

17-40L vote. I have it on my 40D, and I absolutely love it. There really isn't anything else in the category.... 16-35 2.8 is twice the price. Maybe the Sigma 12-24? You'll probably take a hit in quality with that one though.

IS on a wide angle lens? Not sure why anyone would want that...

I recently acquired a Zuiko 21mm f3.5 MF lens for my wide angle. It's about as wide as I ever want to go on a 5D, and relatively inexpensive at about $400 (+adapter)

The vignetting is pretty noticeable up to about f8, but it's quite sharp and well built.

I hear the f2.0 is even nicer, but usually runs about $1K.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/21mm.htm

"I'd really like the 16-35mm II but it's out of my budget. Suggestions?"

Raise the budget and get the EF 16-35 F2.8L USM II - it's worth every cent if you shoot landscape.

Remember - budgets are a guide only, not a target or a limit!

Cheers,

Colin

photo.net/photos/colinsouthern

Seriously, how hard is it to raise the extra cash if you REALLY want it? What could you auction? Overtime? Sell your soul to the devil? If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.<div>00PHh6-43121284.jpg.cfe6919f033a26730cbaaf42d22a36ce.jpg</div>

OK there's another good option. I recently got the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4. It's sharper than my 17-40 was (even after it was calibrated by Canon). It focuses a tad slower but still pretty fast. And the size is about as compact as you could expect for a lens of this range, about 2/3 the size of the 17-40. All this for only $300. Check out B&H. This lens used to sell for over $400. I think it is one of the most under rated lenses out there.

Yep, you're 100% correct. I wanted a full frame camera not the 1.6X crop on the 20D so I sold the 20D. I should have kept the 17-40mm to be my wide angle lens on the 5D. More bad kharma? When I had my 20D I also had the 70-200mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 300mm f/4 IS and 28-70mm f/2.8L. I regret having sold them all to buy the 24-105mm + 5D. But, hindsight, etc......Now I'm paying alot more to get the same coverage.

When I first got into EOS, a salesman told me to make glass first priority.

I've yet to sell any lens: largely because I wouldn't know where to begin, but also because I figure if I wanted the lens for a certain purpose, made the decision to buy it, and it delivers, then why am I selling it?

If you want something new and are strapped for cash, a few months patience beats a lens sale, every time.