In camera picture style settings

Brian Murphy

Picture styles are in camera presets. They are color and saturation settings for processing JPEG images in camera, They only effect jpeg and what ever setting you use becomes baked into the final jpeg image. You can experiment with them to choose the setting of your preference. Really they are just color, saturation setting that someone at Canon came up with. Very rarely I would play with the monochrome, BW and Sepia, more of a novellty for me, but even then I would shoot both JPEG and RAW. When I was new to Canon DSLRs long ago I used presets in jpeg mode until I learned how to process RAW images in post and found I had much more control. It is a choice and they can be fun to experiment with.

If you shoot RAW you can add the setting later in Lightroom. Lightroom calls these presets, you can find many free presets available on the web that can be imported into Lightroom, I even found some that are the Canon Camera Picture Style presets, but there are thousands out there and you can make your own and presets can give you even more control and you can undo a preset with RAW images. You can't undo a JPEG shot with a picture style setting.

1431089183_Inlightroom.thumb.jpg.f9e92c9febb93733e4b19d275028c934.jpg

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

@Mark Keefer +1

I imagine picture styles can be useful if you shoot jpeg (with or without RAW) and have preferred settings (color tone, saturation, sharness, contrast) for different scenes (landscape, portrait, etc.) and don't want to spend much time in PP.

I use Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop. I prefer to shoot in RAW. Sometimes I apply standard/personal presets in PP. I pretty much always manually adjust each of the best photos in PP. Even if I did shoot only in jpeg, I think I'd want a 'neutral' picture style as a baseline and adjust in PP.

• Like 2

what in camera picture style settings a lot of you use.

I've been on a number of trips with at least some professionals in the mix. One of the 'PROs" was the only one of all the shooters who used picture styles, and he had his set for a particular over-sharpened, too-much saturation (IMHO) variant. Over half the people on the 'trek' used RAW, BTW.

• Like 1

I have a new-ish EOS M50, which is a big jump forward for me from my previous digital. I'm really a film user. I am keeping both the RAW and biggest-JPG, but for now (at least) I'm concentrating on getting used to the camera. I have no ambition to spend more of my time in front of the computer. So I am using the built-in styles and I accept the JPG the camera gives me. I have used Neutral most, as well as Monochrome, Faithful and Standard styles: I don't do anything that's 'vivid' (maybe my language from time to time). I don't care much for the colours in the Landscape style. I haven't used Portrait style, or Fine Detail.

So far I'm using the styles as they stand. I realise I can adjust some of the settings in these, and save up to three custom styles too. To do that with any confidence, I'll have to spend some time taking test shots for comparison (and I'm already yawning at the idea). I note that some of the styles I'm using include sharpening, and I seem to prefer the ones that have less of it.

I suppose I might come back to my pictures later and see what the raw will do, but that idea doesn't excite me either.

• Like 1