In Apprecation of the Isolette II

I mentioned in a recent post that I'd acquired a very tidy Agfa Isolette II, undoubtedly the best example I've come across, and I've finally found time to run a couple of films and to get together some samples. Here's a portrait of the pretty old thing, wearing a Prazisa rangefinder of about the same era.

Agfa Isolette II

Isolette.thumb.jpg.0c9237df045eb929d0bcf608b9c29d02.jpg

Now, Bill Bowes is our resident Isolette guru and I hope he'll flesh out this thread, but here are a few snippets of information. The Isolettes were a family of folding cameras manufactured in Germany by Agfa Camera Werk, the first Isolette appearing in 1938. They were mid-range in terms of quality and price, never pretending to compete with the higher class (and much more expensive) offering from makers such as Zeiss and Voigtlander, but representing sound and solid construction at a very competitive price. Over the next two decades many variations were produced, culminating in the Isolette L of 1958, with rangefinders and exposure meters added along the way. I believe the Isolette II was marketed in the USA as the Ansco Speedex 4.5 "Special".

This particular camera is an early viewfinder Isolette II, dating from around 1952. It's identifiable as an early model by the strange little lever on the rear of the camera, just below the top deck, which acts as as a sort of shutter lock, enabling time exposures. Later models removed this function to the shutter speed ring, in conventional fashion. It also has poorer-quality bellows than the later Isolette II's, though this set is still in good condition. The milled wheel on the opposite end of the top deck from the winding wheel features a depth-of-field scale, and this was replaced by a film type reminder graphic in later models. Shutters were Prontor SV or SVS, and it appears that the most common lens was the 85mm Apotar f/4.5, a hard-coated Cooke triplet, though the excellent four-element 85mm Solinar f/4.5 was available as a more expensive alternative.

The camera is very rigid when open, helped by a sensible domed baseplate which adds strength to the construction and also seats the camera in a level position without the need of a folding foot. Interior finish is exceptionally tidy, with a swing-out cradle to assist film loading, and a spring fitting below the take-up spool that pops the film out when the locating knob is withdrawn, a nice feature that saves a lot of fishing around with a fingernail. The sticker on the interior of this copy suggests that the camera was supplied by "Turners Ltd. of Newcastle-on-Tyne, Britain's leading photographic suppliers".

Interior

1191309103_Isoletteopen.thumb.jpg.7bf32ace20ce702476c58a35bde3250b.jpg

I enjoyed using the Isolette, despite it being a throwback in ergonomic terms to pre-WWII cameras. The shutter release is very sensitive and precise, and the viewfinder more or less accurate... Well, I've used far worse. The Apotar lens is surprisingly good, with excellent contrast and overall sharpness when stopped down to the sweet spot between f/8 and f/16. The samples I'll post were taken on Arista EDU Ultra 100 or 200, developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on an Epson V700 Photo using Silverfast SE software.

Planters

1967769378_PlantersPnet.thumb.jpg.d98da8763f5d2a851bc5f2f1fe040525.jpg

Wairarapa Moana

1395429956_WairarapaMoana.thumb.jpg.c14e62da5d352128269c48f46f85748c.jpg

Toyota

1371451362_ToyotaPnet.thumb.jpg.41eff875be4ace6b227a1e05fb784859.jpg

Campers

607440264_CampingPnet.thumb.jpg.a07b48384171b1ecdb6e539f7d3bb866.jpg

Market

500488795_MarketPnet.thumb.jpg.c9a57afdd97fd3668b77a7fec792f26f.jpg

Windbreak

2104298400_WindBreakPnet.thumb.jpg.ef6e7fb5bd373b02e53b2cdcea42c00c.jpg

Wakefields

708812815_WakefieldsPnet.thumb.jpg.fa7e6a175e86f6dada5189d16ef49a80.jpg

Specimen Ash Tree

1417158317_SpecimenAshTree.thumb.jpg.097a0cbf635d4c4ffc9f9badbe7fedd8.jpg

Private

1723831661_PrivatePnet.thumb.jpg.2fcc10e5a55f6a5e2aa5e2b7a8fadea0.jpg

• Like 1

Wow ! ! Rick has really scored a gem this time. . .My II was in "good" shape, but this beauty, Classic for sure. About the only thing I might add to Ricks narrative is that the red lever under the shutter barrel (see his picture) 146089391_DSCF6561-horzcombor.thumb.jpg.85492a64cc57e7682827ab9c8e8e6001.jpg is the 10 second shutter timer. When I am doing tripod work, the timer is used to trip the shutter if the speeds drop under 1/25th second. Otherwise, the cable release is used.

Rick has the push on lens hood & K2 filter that Agfa made. OEM units were also available, but either is REALLY hard to find these days. I opted for a 1 3/16 - 30mm push-on adapter to the then current Series 5 (Series V) filters. The lens hood is a Series V, so it screws into the adapter ring ( AR -silver in photo). A filter is dropped into the AR & the lens hood positions it. My unit's were acquired off Ebay.

When I am afield, my II or III ( in photo) is inside a Lowepro Exit 110 bag. Small (& cheap!) the bag holds all the gear, including an emergency poncho for me!

Ricks photos speak for the quality that this series of cameras yields. Aloha, Bill

1380780141_2k17-027-010ces10cebcr.thumb.jpg.15fae05ac995673268d8197b3d693984.jpg Just an add-on. Both of my Isolettes are marked in meters for the focusing ring. The III has a non-coupled range finder but I find it ify under 3 meters. In my kit is a thin, mechanical tape 10 ft long, also marked in meters. Use that tape & some crisp, close ups will emerge on your films. Aloha, Bill

These days, my main use of a 6x6 folder is as second camera, because it packs well or if hiking where it is hilly and rocky, I'll just bring the folder.

Kudos on the Isolette II. It's a well packaged little medium format shooter. By that I mean, the film winder and shutter release button are on the right side of the camera. The body isn't too small, which allows for good hand-held exposures.

My current favorite is a Perkeo II that still has a working film counter and winder stop for each frame.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Very Fine indeed. Love your tone especially on the foliage.. special mention to Campers, I Liked Windbreak a lot too,. All were excellent. The triplet does a great job in your hands. I just came into a 6.3 folder from Adox. It's called Golf. Very pleased for less than 10,00 EUR with shipping.

IYou mention all scans are using Silverfast. Can you recommend it? Your work is always so nice! The Agfas with only one exception are not in my assembly. The few I've seen were in less than ideal condition. Verdigris or poor bellows etc. I would be open if one fell in my lap!

Thanks for the responses! Yes, Chuck, I've tried VueScan, and have Silverfast and the native Epson scan software available, and find Silverfast the best for my needs, though it's possibly it takes a little more effort to become become familiar with. Thanks for the additions, Bill, and thank you Andrew, SP, Cory and JDM for your contributions.