In a dual monitor setup, which monitor gets calibrated?

<p>My experience is with Mac. You can calibrate both. With my eye1 unit I have to move the menu bar to the monitor I want to calibrate since this software wants to automatically work on the "main" screen. (You can do this in the monitors preference panel.) The software saves to profiles and associates each with the correct monitor.</p>

<p>While I do profile both monitors, I probably really don't need to with my setup. I use the larger monitor to display the photograph I'm working on - so it obviously needs to be calibrated - but I use the other monitor to hold all of my palettes and other windows, and there is not really any great reason for them to need to be calibrated.</p>

<p>The scenario you describe works fine. Just make the external monitor your main monitor for the calibration operation.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I have a similar setting at my home, with an external monitor hooked up to my laptop. Ideally I like to work in a completely color calibrated environment with both monitors matching. However this can only be done if your calibration software supports dual monitor calibration, some of the less expensive options do not.</p>

<p>If you have to choose between one monitor and the other, calibrate your external monitor and leave the laptop screen for palettes and tools.</p>