improvised studio.........the lunchroom @ work

kenneth_beatty

Main light (from left) is too low, casting a shadow sideways across her face. It's also very hard so that the shadow is not only sideways, but very well defined. I would raise it, and diffuse it. Your fill, which is an okay contrasting color, is almost as bright as the main. I would power it down and perhaps move it further back (take care to keep it out of your lens, if you do). Almost all my shots are in a improvised studio, or at least the ones I like are... t<div>00BZCK-22457384.jpg.5ccc68e3a4026d5c03ec09c45b8654d8.jpg</div>

You should try to turn down one of those lights, especially for people with rounder faces. The point of a main and a fill, is that one is less bright than the other, which allows for some softer shadows on the face, which enables us to understand how the person's face is shaped. With no shadows, a face looks flat with little dimension, and with shadows too hard (dark and abrupt) we think the shadows <i>are</i> the shape of the face... t<div>00BZVn-22463884.jpg.8df225ffd30b68b2604c5f98ff4c586e.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...