Impressive find

machts gut

<p>Here's a link I found recently with a comparison between the Canon EOS 5DMarkIII, Pana G3, Oly OM-D and Fuji X-E1 at ISO3200.<br>

I'm impressed how well the Oly and also the inexpensive G3 does.<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=canon_eos5dmkiii&masterSample=5d3_5215&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=canon_eos5dmkiii&slot0Sample=5d3_5215&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=panasonic_dmcg3&slot1Sample=p1000085&slot2Camera=oly_em5&slot2Sample=p1010013&slot3Camera=fujifilm_xe1&slot3Sample=dscf4220&x=0.35230654761904756&y=-0.7127380752904383">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=canon_eos5dmkiii&masterSample=5d3_5215&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=canon_eos5dmkiii&slot0Sample=5d3_5215&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=panasonic_dmcg3&slot1Sample=p1000085&slot2Camera=oly_em5&slot2Sample=p1010013&slot3Camera=fujifilm_xe1&slot3Sample=dscf4220&x=0.35230654761904756&y=-0.7127380752904383</a></p>

<p>"Looking at JPGs tells you how the camera processes JPGs. Noise can always be wiped away along with fine detail. Try looking at RAW files or JPGs of the ends of the feathers."<br>

<br />In generall you are right, Bruce, comparisons of jpgs never lead to an objective judgement. But in this example it reads that the files are all processed with Adobe Camera Raw and not in the camera. The examples show that the noise of the Olympus is not wiped away with the fine details, the details are still there! At least I see more than in the Canon pics, although they should have choosen better parts. Second you can also choose to have a look at the Raw files. And finally I find it impressive not because I think the Oly is the better camera, but because it shows that sensor size is not the important factor when it comes to IQ or as often stated, mFT is inferior to APS-C or FF because the sensor is smaller. There are always good reasons to buy one or the other system.</p>

<p>I've basically ditched my ASP-C gear in favor of µ4/3 because I get better technical IQ. FF still generally has an advantage when it comes to dynamic range & noise. My point is that one has to be careful about drawing conclusions from examples like this. If I can't work with the files myself, then I'm more inclined to trust other photographer's comments who know what they're looking at and have shot many images with a particular camera.</p>

<p><strong>dpreview</strong> does have a fun & impressive comparison tool; but not only sensor performance is represented here. It also shows manufacture lens quality differences. <strong>What lens choice</strong> criteria has been used by <strong>dpreview</strong> in this comparison tool? Maybe standard "kit" lenses? - But for example, there isn't a "kit" for the Nikon 800E.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I find it impressive not because I think the Oly is the better camera, but because it shows that sensor size is not the important factor when it comes to IQ"<em><strong> Stefan T</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>So true...</p>

<p>Alright, just found the pop-up for what lens was used etc. for the comparison tests. (They shoot mainly primes)<br>

Below the magnified image and just right of the words JPEG and RAW, you can see a tiny "sun" icon.<br>

Put your arrow on top of it and a "<strong>Camera settings</strong>" info screen pops up. </p>

<p>"Try looking at the images shot RAW - I would suggest that it is Canon, then Fuji then M43 in terms of IQ"<br>

A perfect example of how subjective the term IQ is. Yes, I know, I brought it up myself. Blame me! For me it's just the other way around. I find the Canon and Fuji images too soft and lacking detail. I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right, it's probably more a question of taste. Maybe it's because I was a Rodinal user for years.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this Stefan!</p>

<p>I agree - the differences are very small, in both JPG and RAW comparisons. Noise is no longer a good reason to prefer a larger format. I see some color advantage for the 5DIII in some parts of this scene, but that is about all.</p>

<p>The only thing I regret is that there was no MFT system when I decided to invest in digital equipment about five years ago. If I would start from scratch today, I wouldn't look at anything else.</p>