Impressions ?

Now images I post to my portfolio have "Impressions" with a score displayed, the score is quickly quite high. If a hover over the word it then says "Visible in a list as a thumbnail or directly viewed (accrued daily)". Please can anyone explain the meaning of Impressions, how it is used, what is and how is the score accrued and where are they viewed ?

I'm guessing, Ken, that this is the result of Admin's polling to see whether to bring back ratings.

OK Michael I'd not thought of that as a reason but it is a strange scoring system with most totals more than a thousand. I can't find any info reference "Impressions" and till we receive a clear and informative answer it will remain an enigma.

• Like 1

I took a look and this reminds me of what used to be called "Vibe Score"......really. The little squiggle looks the same, so maybe they are bringing it back with a new name. I was happy to not feel the bad "vibe" in V2. It's just one more thing that makes me shake my head and go read a fungal dictionary. Edited by Laura Weishaupt
  • Like 2

I'm seeing this in my portfolio as well.

View numbers are lower than "Impressions" so I guess who ever is getting an impression of one of my images must be telling someone else to get an impression without viewing. That makes no sense. How can you have less views than impressions?

• Like 1

I'm glad this has been mentioned because I couldn't figure out exactly what these impressions are especially when compared with the number of views. If an image has had 40 views,where do the other 1,526 'impressions' come from? The number of times a page with thumbnails has been opened and viewed but not an actual image opened??? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I'm glad this has been mentioned because I couldn't figure out exactly what these impressions are especially when compared with the number of views. If an image has had 40 views,where do the other 1,526 'impressions' come from? The number of times a page with thumbnails has been opened and viewed but not an actual image opened??? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Sandra, I think you just answered the question.

I hadn't thought about thumbnail views as an overall "Impression" of one's entire portfolio vs looking at ONE PICTURE which would count as ONE VIEW. Get it?! I think you solved it! Yay!

• Like 2

Sandra, I think you just answered the question.

I hadn't thought about thumbnail views as an overall "Impression" of one's entire portfolio vs looking at ONE PICTURE which would count as ONE VIEW. Get it?! I think you solved it! Yay!

Thanks to Sandra and Tim that looks like the answer. Because thumbnails on PN2 are so much larger there isn't the need to open individual images and most are viewed as Tim says, that is also another reason number of views on most images remains so low. Thank you.

Thanks to Ken for raising this issue and thanks to all the members who have come up with theory's and creditable answers.

But why are we having to speculate what they mean?

Access to a users manual or a glossary of terms would be one resolution or a least a system of being able to ask whoever if anyone is in control...........have a good day.

• Like 4

a mouse over of impressions explains what it is. In previous threads, people complained that their photos are getting less views because (the theory is) the thumbnails are bigger therefore there is less of a need to click thru. Impressions are how often the thumbnails are viewed, views are those that click on the photo to see a larger version in the modal.
  • Like 3

Thanks, Glenn. If you read the OP, you'll see that Ken transcribed the message we get when we mouse over IMPRESSIONS. Many of us had done that but didn't understand what that text was trying to say. Maybe something like "IMPRESSION IS GENERATED WHEN VIEWING THUMBNAIL. VIEW IS GENERATED WHEN THUMBNAIL IS OPENED."
  • Like 4
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

a mouse over of impressions explains what it is. In previous threads, people complained that their photos are getting less views because (the theory is) the thumbnails are bigger therefore there is less of a need to click thru. Impressions are how often the thumbnails are viewed, views are those that click on the photo to see a larger version in the modal.

Thank you Glenn. That does mean most images posted for critique receive a lot more attention than we thought, good news. Best regards Ken.

• Like 2

Hi Glen, I would also like to thank for your reply. But as Fred G pointed out the message shown when hovering over "impressions" is a little cryptic.

Your reply seemed to imply folks had not seen the explanation, this is not the case. It had been seen but not understood which is evident from the entries to the thread. Best regards GC.

• Like 2

In my opinion this whole "Impressions" thing is bogus. First of all, the thumbnails in the Favorite Photographers Gallery do not show the picture as posted. Most landscape-oriented pictures are trimmed somewhat to fit the space. As for pictures in portrait-orientation, they are absolutely butchered, displaying about half the actual image. As many here know, I was a prolific commenter on the previous incarnation of PN, posting between 10 and 20 comments a day, but I find the present version so poorly designed and frustrating to use that I seldom comment anymore. Navigating through the pictures in the Favorite Photographers gallery is aggravating and time-consuming as the back arrow inevitably returns me to the top of the page and necessitates a great deal of scrolling to return to the place I left. Navigation time varies but is almost never what I consider reasonable. Today the back button takes around ten seconds to reload. There may be other reasons why the number and quality of comments on photos has fallen so dramatically but the operation of the gallery is surely a major one. If after nearly six months there is still no real improvement in the operation of this site, it seems to me that management has run out of both ideas and solutions. Edited by Jack McRitchie
  • Like 2

People wanted to know how often their thumbnail appeared in search results - this is what an impression is, it is not bogus. Member Center is going through an overhaul so there will be more updates in the coming weeks. I hope we can address all of your concerns.
  • Like 2

As for my concerns, they remain pretty much the same as they were last May when I sent you a long and rather carefully organized (if I do say so myself) critique of My Portfolio and all the galleries therein. As I recall you thanked me and promised action back then, too, which I have yet to see.
  • Like 1