Import duty for new camera purchased in the UK and shipped to the USA?

randall cherry

I couldn't venture a guess on the rates, Randall, but I will say that after years of trading and shipping, only once, was I nabbed for inbound duty. That was on an expensive Pelikan fountain pen that I purchased online from Taiwan, I believe. I think the bill (payable to a broker on behalf of FedEx) was about $30, but that's immaterial to England and a camera, 5 years later. And since there is virtaully no camera manufacture left in the US, there is probably little duty concern on importation of camera equipment.

The bottom line is that it is highly unlikely that you will be nabbed; I've gotten tons of stuff from Canada, England, Holland, etc. and only one or two have actually been opened, much less levied.

That's not to say that yours won't be a first, but I'll bet that you get it "free." Frankly, I'd be more concerned about resolution of any US-based warranty claim that might be in the offing...

good luck,

Ray Hull

I am not going to suggest that Occulus is wrong, but many shippers feed their invoices and

airway bills electronically into Fedex and UPS computer systems. Import duties (and sales tax)

can be charged without anyone opening the parcel. Living in Holland, everything from the

USA arriving through UPS, Fedex, etc. is charged with duties and taxes. Only undocumented

parcels arriving through the postal system have a good chance of arriving duty free. Off

course it could be different in the opposite direction.

Here is a nasty little story: I bought a Rollei TLR over the internet from a camera store in

Tokyo. When it arrived I found it had a lens separation that was barely visible in the jpegs

they'd sent. However, once I saw it in person I could see it in the jpegs. I returned it and

they paid the shipping. However, when the FedEx bill arrived a month later, it included an

almost $90 item for import duty. On the advice of a FedEx employee (I work directly

above a FedEx office and he and I are friendly) I protested the claim. But FedEx did not

allow my claim and I had to pay the duty.

Ed

Although Randall hasn't confirmed Douglas' guess as to the make of camera, if it is indeed a Mamiya, there may be major problems in any warranty claim.

I recall recently reading that MamiyaUSA wont repair cameras purchased out of the country. In addition, if I recall correctly, repairs wont be made even if the purchaser is willing to pay!

Hasselblad, likewise, refuse to do warranty repairs if the cameras is purchased out of the USA. Their one proviso is that if you made such purchase when you were physically in such country, then it's okay. BUT...you have to prove it with such documents as an airline ticket in your name at such purchase date, or stamped passport! Good luck in your endeavours.

ok lets be intelligent here. I can see MAC not wanting to perform warranty work on cameras they didn't sell, but come on; not perform work for hire just because you didn't buy the camera through them? Thats just plain too stupid to even suggest. NOWHERE on their site do they even mention such a thing. It would be one thing if the USA model was materially DIFFERENT than the either Japanese or international (and you could argue different parts), but it's not. Repair is a revenue stream for them, and from their price estimates, not a bad one. The only warnings they have is that the old camera repairs are subject to them having spares to do the work.

Why do people make cr&p like this up?

MAC isn't Mamiya. They are not even related to Mamiya.<br>They just managed to get the Mamiya name registered, and protected, in the USA, so that nothing bearing the Mamiya name can enter the country without it being a trademark violation. Not even the one and only real Mamiya can do that, so they have to go through MAC if they want to sell anything in the US. MAC has aggresively pursued 'violators'.<br>The cr?p is not what you think people are making up, but this entire situation, and what made it possible.

Thanks for everyone's response.

The camera is a new Mamiya 7II packaged with the 80mm lens from Robert White.

The confirmation email from Robert White indicated that I would have to pay an import duty, but didn't indicate how much.

I called customs at my local international airport, and they said "no duty on film cameras." Not sure how much faith I have in that statement, though.

Except for the reputation for the rangefinder system going out of adjustment, these cameras are known to be very reliable. The costs savings on the purchase price justifies the very small chance of sending the camera back to RW for warranty work.

--Randall

"okay let's be intelligent here"

For the benefit of Jim Feldman, I would like to state that I consider myself reasonably intelligent. Not a genius but neither a moron.

If you read my post carefully, you will note that I said "If I recall correctly". Now it seems "Q.G" supports my "recall" I do not make up crap, as you seem to want to refer to it. I respectfully suggest that people communicating via this forum check out for the facts, before making scathing remarks against others.

Can either of you cite any publicly available, authoritative source, that says MAC won't repair (outside warranty) kit that was not originally retailed in the USA?

Until 1998, MAC was for all intents and purposes, a subsidiary of Mamiya (which in turn was due to restrictions imposed on Japan by the US after WWII to protect domestic mfg's). Since it's MAC that issues the waranty (vs Mamiya), they are well within their rights to limit access to warranty work.

In any event, I'll contact them Monday AM and get a definitive answer instead of just a bunch of speculation on everyone's part.

We don't need to if you're going to check it out.

This whole thread/discussion has been promulgated on the basis that Randall may need warranty work done for his offshore purchase. Now that we know it's a Mamiya that he's buying we also know that warranty work/coverage from MAC is not available within the USA for a purchase made outside.

Although I am comfortable with the risk of possibly sending the camera back to Robert White if it needs work and I want to exercise the warranty, I'd be curious whether MAC will do non-warranty work on a non-U.S.-purchased camera . . . ?

I assume there are at least a few reliable independent repair shops who would do non-warranty work on my little "bastard child." :-)

--Randall

Forumites,

I have been buying photographic equipment from Germany, Japan, the UK,

France, and Italy. I have always insisted that it be shipped by their

national postal system, NOT a common carrier such as UPS, DHL or FedEx. That way the shipment does not have to go through a broker. I have never yet had to pay import duties, tarriffs etc. The US Postal

Service delivers everything to me.

Jerry