Images won't copy to thumb drive?

<p>I'm trying to copy 1.75 gig of images to a 2 gig thumb drive. It stops at image #156 every time despite having used less than a third of the available space on the drive.</p>

<p>I tried reformatting the thumb drive</p>

<p>I tried using a different program for the copy</p>

<p>I tried to copy just one image after the stop to no avail</p>

<p>I cleared my recycle bin</p>

<p>Anyone else ever experience this?</p>

<p>Booray,</p>

<p>Have you tried copying the images to anything ELSE, like an external hard drive? I'd want to know if there's a disk error that's causing the read part of the copy operation to fail. I would kind of expect a more informative error message if that were the case, but I don't know for sure that you can expect that.</p>

<p>I'm also wondering if the copy operation is creating a cache on the target drive that is causing a problem. Have you tried copying the files in smaller parcels? In other words, instead of dragging all 500 images at once over to the target drive so you can leave and get some coffee, try copying 100 images at a time.</p>

<p>Will </p>

<p>I tried copying in 100 files chunks and it stopped at the same point. First 100 files went fine, second 100 stopped with same error message</p>

<p>I tried copying 200 files to my external drive and it went fine with no problem at all.</p>

<p>While this might not have been the cause in your case, also note, that the capacity given for any drive is referring to its raw, <strong>unformatted</strong> state.<br /> The actual, <strong>usable</strong> capacity is always lower. For instance my 4 GB thumb drive only has a capacity of 3.6 GB for holding data.</p>

<p>It's not an operating system limitation; it's a filesystem limitation. Removable flash media, such as USB keys and memory cards for cameras, almost always use some variation on FAT filesystems that came from the DOS/Windows world (often FAT16 on lower-capacity devices and FAT32 on higher-capacity devices). But the various limitations are built into the filesystem design and will apply even if you're accessing the drive from some other operating system.</p>