Image stabilization on the 6D vs 5D IV

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by joel_p, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I noticed that the new 6D II specs indicate that it will feature an optical image stabiliser. This is not featured on the recently released 5D IV. Is this a software feature? i.e. will this likely be made available on the 5d via a software update?

dcstep likes this.
  2. Hi, no IS in specs from Canon.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. "optical image stabiliser", - means in lens.
  4. They are saying image stabilser is in 6D II, but I think is is only for video.
  5. m frame rate of 60p when capturing Full HD video. It also offers Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.

It looks indeed that its only for video. But still a nice feature that's not currently on the 5div which only came out a few months ago. Again, I wonder if that is a hardware or software feature? If it's software then it could be made available on the 5d.....
  6. According to. Canon unveils EOS 6D Mark II and EOS Rebel SL2 | TechRadar

"Full HD video recording is supported up to 60fps, and you can also call upon digital five-axis image stabilization to help steady footage. This can work in concert with lens-based IS when a lens that includes the system is mounted on the body."

However, when I look through Canon's own specification list for the 6D II at,
    EOS 6D Mark II
    I see no mention of image stabilization, so I am not too sure what it has.
  7. It doesn't seem to be an optical IS. Seems software based. I doubt it would ever come to the 5DIV simply because the 5DIV is positioned as a professional camera and I believe like myself many professionals shoot video on a tripod with a fluid head or some other type of glide cam / stabilizer. I would much rather do that than rely on in-camera don't know what your going to get IS for professional work. Also, if I do need IS I and most people who own a 5DIV have at least one L-series lens with IS or Tamron with VC.