Image sorting software

<p>I can't seem to find a piece of software that will allow me to sort my images in the manner I would like tag the image and copy it to another directory after I am done tagging all the images. That seems to be easy enough to do. What I can't find in any of the software I have looked at, Lightroom, LightZone, DPP and PhotoMechanic, is the ability to tag the photo and advance to the next photo with a single key stroke. The single key stoke is the important part to me.<br>

For example in DPP using the Quick Check tool, I use the mouse to assign either a 1, 2 or 3 rating to an image. Then I have to click Next. This requires two clicks of the mouse and repositioning the mouse in between clicks. I would prefer to advance to the next image when I click on the 1, 2 or 3.<br>

Does anyone have any suggestions.<br>

thanks,<br>

pat</p>

<p>You can use Adobe Lightroom to sort photos in any order you wish, then rename the files incorporating the sorting order so that they can be kept in the same alphanumeric order in any other program.</p>

<p>You can sort based on file name, date or various metadata values, or simply by dragging the thumbnails. You can advance forward or backward using the arrow keys. Your "single key stroke" requirement is impractical - most images require several adjustments or settings. On which action would you wish to advance? You can CTL-Click and select as many images you wish, in any order, and execute the same tag or operation on all the selected files. I don't see that you have a case.</p>

<p>Edward,<br>

I agree Lightroom very powerful sorting abilities. Perhaps I should have used Ranking rather than Sorting in my post's header. I like to view my images as large as possible before I decide to rate the image. So I like to have a film strip at the bottom and as large an image as possible at the top. In this scenario, Ctl-Clicking doesn't do what I want. From your point of view I can understand why you think "single key stroke" is impractical. But for my workflow demands are slightly different. I first select all the images that need adjustment, then I go back and adjust them. I am looking for software that I can use to quickly rank my images and copy them to a To Be Processed folder. I could then use Lightroom, ACR or whatever I choose to edit those I had selected.<br>

So I am still looking for suggestions regarding single key ranking.</p>

<p>Tony: I haven't tried lightroom since early 2007. I just downloaded LR2. I have tried what you suggested and it is not bad. But still two operations. I am not sure after 1500 to 2000 images how coordinated I will remain. But this is the best solution so far. thanks</p>

<p>M. Patrick, Lightroom does all that you seem to require, filmstrip included. Just select the preferred images, tag them in a color (which equals a number for keyboard only ranking), or assign stars, and move on. You can then go back and so an instant sort on the color or stars for post processing. You don't need a to be processed folder if you dump the initial load into a descriptive collection--though you can easily establish a generic to be processed collection in Lightroom.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Michael, All true but tagging and moving to next photo is a two step process. I can't figure out how to make tagging and advancing a one step process in lightroom. However, good news is to follow.<br>

Photo Mechanic has a check box in its Preferences which will Advance the image when the Tag or Rating change. This is exactly what I was looking for.<br>

Thanks to all who responded.<br>

pat</p>