Image size for plasma TV

<p>We have a new flat screen TV for xmas and one hope I had for it is not working out too well. I hoped it was possible to resize an image to fit the TV and it would look as good as for monitor wallpaper. But they don't look so hot. Like all TVs of this class it has a resolution of 1920 x 1080; the problem I anticipated is that this resolution is on a screen about 44" wide which of course is much bigger than a monitor. So I figured that as long as the viewer didn't get too close, the image would be fine. But the images I've tried look over sharpened even if they are not sharpened at all (except a bit in raw). I tried making the canvas size exactly 1920 x 1040, twice that and four times that, only the exact size works at all, the other two can't be read or turn purple, (not enough memory in the TV or Blu-ray player?). I am converting to jpegs. Maybe there's a better format?<br>

A real blu-ray disc is very sharp and still looks OK close up.<br>

Anyone have any luck with this issue? Thanks.</p>

<p>You'll have to explain the steps you're taking to create the final HD-format JPG file, including describing when and how you're sharpening the image once you get it to its final size/resolution.<br /><br />Also: how are you actually getting the image to the TV? On disk, played through a DVD player? Does the TV or whatever device you're using have a sharpening routine or setting that you can disable or tune for signals coming into the TV from different sources?</p>

<p>John,<br /> My photos look great on my 46" Sony Bravia. I use a PlayStation3 to view photos, a fantastic machine for HD slide shows with music BTW (manual music play). HDTV photo display was my main reason for the PS3 purchase and I have no regrets. PS3 costs no more than many Blue Ray players, but does so much more. PS3 has built in card readers, internal hard drive, WiFi, and Web browser, not to mention the gaming options, music CD importing etc.</p>

<p>However, due to the factory saturation and very high contrast settings on the TV set, images were too contrasty. Shadows were too dark and highlights to bright.</p>

<p>I did change the pictures setting on the TV and saw an improvement over the Sony factory setting. There was a "vivid" setting on the Sony TV by default. I changed it to a different setting and found stills looked more natural.</p>

<p>Maybe too high a contrast setting on your TV is causing your images to look over-sharpened. That would be my guess as opposed to image resolution or format.</p>