Image Size FAQ.

hartpaul

I note a question about this was asked on 10 th Jan but would like to explore more. There it was said that the image size has always been 1000 [pixels longest side}. When I joined up I was directed to the Community Guidelines here

Forum Guidelines | Photo.net

These were updated in 2015. There it says 700 pixels and less than 100 Kb. That also seemed to be referring to forum posts.

I gather from some comments that this has changed. So can a mod or admin please answer these questions.

1. What is the maximum (and minimum if it exists) for photos uploaded to a profile in pixels and also KB if applicable?

2. What is the maximum (and minimum if it exists) for photos uploaded to a forum post in pixels and KB if applicable?

3. Would it be possible to set up a FAQ page or sticky post where new members or returning members can find this information and also other suggested questions that are commonly asked?

1. If you mean "portfolio" by the word "profile" - then it is possible to upload considerably large files to your Portfolio. Previous to PN2.0 there was a limit of 1500px x 1500px for Portfolio upload and I think that's a good idea to follow that now too. (reason in #2 below)

2. There is more than one method of including an image in a Forum Post. If the image is very large (let's say for example 'a full size JPEG' from a late model DSLR) and the full size image is inserted then some (maybe most) readers of the thread were experiencing difficulties when they clicked on large images to "View Full Size" - I am not sure of that situation still exists, but for the sake of convenience I think that the 1000px max (or 1500px max) is a good rule to use when loading any image to either your Portfolio or to a Forum Thread and that size provides a reasonable quality image which can be viewed in line or viewed full size if one is interested.

3. Pretty sure that Leslie's hard work here below covers a lot of this - and I have just remade them as Sticky.Threads.

Part 1

Part 2

WW

Thank you very much for that . If I followed the guidelines as mentioned I would be limited to images 700 pixels on longest side and less than 100 KB.

I had looked at some images and tried to find their dimensions and many were up to 1500 pixels or more and definitely over 100 KB so I wanted to make sure. I had tried to use the Contact link at the bottom but that also goes to a blank page so no help there.

Looks like the Community Guidelines also needs to be rewritten.

• Like 1