I have been approcahed by the governmental tourist authority for one

of my pictures to be published in one of their annual

tourist/advertising guides.

They want a half page (quarter as you look at both pages) picture of

one of my images. The cirulation in 300,000 copies, and is

distributed to USA, Germany, Holland, and UK. It is an annual

publication that promotes the area and has approximately half of the

65 poages for advertising. The picture is of a rainbow coming down

onto a very well known castle in the area that they are promoting.

It is in my portfolio if you want to have a look, also attached.

Called dunstanburgh castle.

Any help greatly appreciated.

For that level of circulation, I would expect something between $300-$500.00. You don't mention what type of rights they want, but if they are talking about exclusive publication or something that restricts your ability to place the image elsewhere, double that.

Don't want to rain on your parade but is the tourist authority the National Trust? If not, do you have a property release from them for commercial use of the photo? It might not be a big deal, but then again, it might. Heck, I'm not even sure it might be an issue (depends on which side of the pond you're on probably), but it never hurts to be sure.

Had a friend who did doctoral research on old castles for which he did quite a lot of shooting. No problem. Many are fantastic shots that he could have sold. But since this was academic research, he never bothered with releases and he's been kicking himself ever since.

BTW, I'd edge towards at least $500US. True, it's not a huge printing, but it's a multi-country release.

For an advertising brochure with: worldwide circulation, 1/2 page size, print run of

300,000, and if it is truly a rare (because of the rainbow placement) image?

Somewhere in the (US) $3,000 to $4,200 range will be your top end. <P>Drop the

"rare" classification & you are in the $1,500 to $1,700 range. That would be about

how

much ($1,400 to $2,000) I would go for even if they call it an editorial usage. <P> Of

course getting that will depend on your negotiating skills their budget, and how much

they absolutely desire that image. It is always easier to negotiate downward than

upward.<P>

Did a search on an image to be used in a brochure for a period of one year for the countries that you mentioned, with a total publication of 500K. The cost was $1505 for the sample image. Keep in mind I think Getty gets 40% of that fee. Any additional use of the image is extra.