Image contest guidelines, general practices

amul

<p>I'm working on a multidisciplinary project including writers, fabric artists, and several other mediums to create a shared fictional setting for our projects to exist in. One idea I had about generating income and publicity for this project was to throw contests, in which participants are encouraged to create their own pieces set in our world (we release our setting material under a Creative Commons license).<br>

The writers in this project are very surprised that I consider it normal to pay entry fees for a contest. They're so shocked that I find myself questioning my own beliefs about the commonality of entry fees for visual art contests.<br>

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions about whether or not entry fees are common for photographic contests, visual art contests, and non-visual art contests. What is the general practice for these? What distinguishes a scam contest from a legitimate contest?</p>

<p><em>What distinguishes a scam contest from a legitimate contest?</em><br>

Well its kind of obvious in that a scam is a scam whether its a photo contest or not. A legitimate contest is one that's not a scam and is run honestly with transparency as to its rules and processes. Then there's the hybrid of these which is the now common rights grabbing variety which is "legitimate" because its all in the fine print. A fee paying contest may be subject to various laws and regulations so I would keep an eye on that issue.</p>

<p>What is a "shared fictional setting for our projects to exist in" BTW?</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>I suppose a better way to phrase my question would be, "If I were to set up a contest, what steps do I need to take to make sure it is worthwhile to the people entering the contest?"<br>

I'm somewhat versed in PLUS and appropriate usage rights, so that part wouldn't be an issue.</p>

<p>By "shared fictional setting," I mean that we've created a world, much like is done in science fiction (eg, "I, Robot," "Lord of the Rings," "Gattacca" etc.), and have released the setting material under a Derivatives, Share-Alike Commercial license. The writers tell stories set in the world, the artists draw scenes, fashion designers create outfits worn by the inhabitants of the world, etc. We release this setting material publicly, not just to the original team of collaborating artists.<br>

The term that's being bandied about is Alternate Reality Fiction. For a more indepth explanation, see this article that was written by someone not associated with our project (called "Continuous Coast"): http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2008/10/alternate-reality-fiction.html</p>

<p>The people will want to know that funds are needed to keep the project going. If potential contestants think they are paying fees to fund the project while others who do not participate don't, they will probably want some other return such as a valuable prize potential. If recognition is not valuable to them, it may need to be of monetary or other value. Would you enter a fee paying contest to fund a project while others in the project sit on the sidelines offering nothing?</p>