Imacon Flextight Scanner

<p>I am trying to get an Imacon Flextight scanner made in 1999 to work with a late 2004 Dell pc running Windows XP. Everything works fine, except the software and the scanner won't talk. The scsi shows up in the Device Driver section. However, the scanner does not show up in the Camera/Scanner window of the Control Panel. I have installed and then uninstalled ColorFlex 3.2.3 twice. I have also tried what looks like the original 1999 software, Flex Color 1.9.1. It thinks it is not compatible with XP. Any help would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Are you turning the scanner (SCSI device) on before booting up the system?</p>

<p>Does the SCSI scanner need to be (or is) terminated? If it is the only SCSI device is it set to zero (0)?</p>

<p>Do you have an adaptec card that is OK with your system? Last I remember, the 2930 and/or the 2940 were good cards...cards by other manufacturers may not be. (As an aside, there was a time in 1998-2000 when installing a SCSI card was a test of a marriage/relationship...).</p>

<p>Finally, there might be a file you need to download from Microsoft that will allow SCSI devices to work in the XP environment - but this is the XP 64 bit program (looks like you have the 32 bit variety). Unfortunately it does not seem like Vuescan supports Imacon scanners:</p>

<p>http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported</p>

<p>but you might send Ed Hamrick an email asking him about Vuescan supporting Imacon SCSI scanners since Hasselblad seems to be abandoning them. (See the bottom of the refernced page as Ed includes info on SCSI scanners in some Windows programs).</p>

<p>Just some random ideas,</p>

<p>rdc/nyc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You also need to look at the scanner to see what SCSI address it is set at. Try setting it to a different address number (other than 7), and as advised earlier, the device must be turned on to be found by the system. I have a flatbed scanner and the system will lose the address. If I change from 5 to 6 or 6 to 5 and reboot the computer, the device will be found. You need to turn off the scanner when resetting the address, then turn on the scanner, let it boot up and do it's turn-on routine, and then turn on the computer.</p>

<p>Watch during boot up. You should see the system find the card first, and then the device as part of the boot up screens. If it does not find the card - then you either need to unplug and replug the SCSI card - or the card is bad.</p>

<p>Gentlemen, I booted up the computer with the scanner turned on and then re-installed Imacon FlexColor 3.2.3. I opened the sofware and it talked to the scanner. I set the perameters to what I put into the scanner and hit Preview. The scanner went through its thing to scan across the film. A window popped up entitled "Preparing scanner" with a "Stop" button and progress bar. At that point the software locked up, no progress. I had to shut down the software with Windows Task Manager as it was "not responding". Any ideas? Thanks.</p>

<p>Is your termination in order. Some cards are different in dealing with termination electronically (active) and passive where you just put a plug on the device at the end of the chain. </p>

<p>My memory is faulty in the exact details on this but I remember when my Mac had built in SCSI where the internal electronics of the computer provided the 5 volt termination power and all that was need on my Arcus II flatbed scanner was a passive non-electronic plug. Some cards were different in this regard where their needed to be a host to provide powered termination where electronic termination had to be specified by the devices on the chain. The card had to be set on which was to provide this powered termination.</p>

<p>I could be wrong on this but the web has endless info on this subject that is more thorough in explaining and solving your issue than can be tackled in this thread. I'm just glad I no longer have to deal with such complexity.</p>

<p>MacGuru's were and probably still are insanely informative in this area in explaining everything you want to know about SCSI.</p>

<p>I'm sure there's got to be an equivalent Window's site.</p>

<p>You might try Large Format Photography forum.</p>

<p>http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/</p>

<p>I had some trouble with a different SCSI scanner.</p>

<p>On the advice of someone posting elsewhere, I then googled my exact model of SCSI card, and downloaded and installed the XP driver. After that the scanner started working just fine. It's turned into an amazingly stable arrangement.</p>

<p>Thanks, Tim and Michael. I do have a treminator on the scanner. It came with it on it. I can only assume it is working ok. Also, I went on line to Adeptec to download software. No software was available because they said my scsi card had XP inbedded it it. I left a support question with them.</p>

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Steve, despite I have a Mac I fell my recommendation could work for you.<br>

Get a Ratoc SCSI to Firewire converter, http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html, this worked for me like a charm! As I see now, Ratoc also have a SCSI to USB adapter, which might work too. <br>

Furthermore, the latest Flexcolor version supporting the original Flextight Photo model (which I have) is 4.0.4. </p>