Imacon flextight Photo with Windows 7 64bit

<p>Hi All,<br>

I bought an Imacon Flextight Photo last night. The previous owner was running it on a Mac with a firewire cable and SCSI adaptor. I was this in action.<br>

I'd like to run it on my PC with windows 7 64bit. If I buy a firewire PCI card for my PC will I be able to run the scanner with the latest Flex color software? Will the firewire adaptor work on windows?<br>

Thanks<br>

Jon</p>

<p>You cant run it under Windows 7. It is supported only for Windows XP. It is pain in the ass to get it work with Scsi card. Your easiest and best solution is to get powermac with 8.5 OS, 9 OS or X OS with scsi card. It is slow but it works. It will never be supported for newer versions. Silverfast and Vuescan doesn't support Imacon scanners.<br>

Sincerely; jukka</p>

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I saw this posting and wanted to place some instructions on the web for getting an Imacon Flextight Precision II (SCSI) scanner to work on two different laptops with a number of different configurations. The first laptop is a Lenovo T61 running Windows 7 32 bit. The second laptop is a MacBook Pro with Retina Display (model year 2012) running Windows 7 64 bit via BootCamp. (Note: You can't get the scanner to run on Mac OS X Lion 10.8 due to the lack of support for the PowerPC software that used to run older Imacon scanners on Macs.)</p>

<p>All instructions assume the use of the legacy FlexColor 4.0.3 software for Windows available for download from the support section of Hasselblad's website.</p>

<p>I'll post these instructions from easiest to most challenging.</p>

<p>Last but not least, at the end of all this I'll tell you how to save some money replacing your original Imacon power supply should it blow, as mine did.</p>

<p>CONFIGURATION 1:</p>

<p>Lenovo T61, Windows 7 32 bit<br>

Imacon Flextight Precision II scanner (SCSI)<br>

Adaptec 1480B UltraSCSI PCMCIA card</p>

<p>FlexColor 4.0.3</p>

<p>This is the easiest setup by far. Connect the scanner via SCSI cable to the Adaptec 1480B UltraSCSI PCMCIA card. Plug the card into the computer's PCMCIA slot. Turn on the scanner. Turn on the computer (booting into Windows 7 32 bit).</p>

<p>I set this up ages ago so don't remember all the details, but Windows 7 32 bit should have no problem recognizing the Adaptec 1480B UltraSCSI PCMCIA card. I believe you then just need to load drivers for the Imacon scanner. I'll go into this in more detail for the MacBook Pro configuration below, but basically you need to use the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager) to load the driver listed as "Imacon P2/DTP Scanner SCSI Loader for SCSI" as found in the "WinXP' folder of the "INF" folder of the FlexColor application in Windows Explorer.</p>

<p>As I said, this was easy enough that I never made any notes on it. I also tried an Adaptec 1460D FastSCSI card, but it didn't work.</p>

<p>CONFIGURATION 2:</p>

<p>Lenovo T61, Windows 7 32 bit<br>

IEEE 1394 FireWire PCMCIA Card<br>

OrangeMicro FireWire to SCSI Converter (similar models from Ratoc and 2ndWave should work as well)<br>

Granite Digital SCSI Hot-Swap Terminator</p>

<p>FlexColor 4.0.3</p>

<p>This configuration gets trickier. Basically you're converting SCSI to FireWire. One of the big hurdles lies in recognizing that Windows 7 "updated" its handling of FireWire, so you need to roll back to a legacy version of the 1394 FireWire driver.</p>

<p>To begin, insert the IEEE 1394 FireWire PCMCIA Card into the PCMCIA slot. Windows 7 32 bit should recognize it just fine, but now you need to roll back the driver. To do so, go to the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager) and look for the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane. Then...</p>

<p>1- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane<br>

2- Right click the host controller node and select "Update driver software ..."<br>

3- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"<br>

4- Select "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer ..." and check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.<br>

5- Choose the second option---"1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)', and click next to update the driver.</p>

<p>Here's a site with more details on this:</p>

<p>http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1/</p>

<p>With the FireWire driver rolled back, shut down the computer. Next, set up the Rube Goldberg-like chain of adapters as follows:</p>

<p>IEEE 1394 FireWire PCMCIA Card<br>

to<br>

OrangeMicro Converter via FireWire cable, with OrangeMicro AC adapter plugged in<br>

to<br>

Granite Digital SCSI Hot-Swap Terminator, with Granite adapter plugged in. "TERM CIRCUIT" switch should be off and "TERM PWR TO BUS" should be ON.<br>

to<br>

Imacon Flextight Precision II scanner via SCSI cable</p>

<p>Turn on the scanner.<br>

Boot the computer.</p>

<p>Windows 7 32 bit should see the scanner. Now you'll need to load the right driver. Go to the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager). The Imacon scanner should be shown, possibly as an "Unknown Device". Right click on the scanner and select "Update driver software ..." Next, select "Browse my computer for driver software". Choose the option "Search for driver software in this location:". Hit the Browse button and go to the FlexColor "INF" folder (typically ...\Program Files\Hasselblad\FlexColor English v4.0.3\INF). In the INF folder should be a "WinXP" folder. Select the "IMACON.INF" file in the "WinXP" folder. Next, you'll be presented with a list of drivers to choose from. For the FlexTight Precision II, select "Imacon FlexTight Precision II Scanner for SCSI".</p>

<p>Go ahead and run FlexTight 4.0.3. It should see the scanner just fine. If it doesn't you may need one reboot after having loaded the driver (just make sure the scanner is on before booting).</p>

<p>CONFIGURATION 3:</p>

<p>MacBook Pro with Retina Display (model year 2012) running Windows 7 64 bit via Boot Camp<br>

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter<br>

OrangeMicro FireWire to SCSI Converter (similar models from Ratoc and 2ndWave should work as well)<br>

Granite Digital SCSI Hot-Swap Terminator</p>

<p>FlexColor 4.0.3</p>

<p>This was the most complicated setup to get working, but I wanted to take advantage of the retina display for use with the scanner. There are a number of big hurdles here. First you'll be converting SCSI to FireWire to Thunderbolt. As noted under CONFIGURATION 2, one of the big problems lies in recognizing that Windows 7 "updated" its handling of FireWire, so you need to roll back to a legacy version of the 1394 FireWire driver.</p>

<p>The other big problem is that the original Imacon drivers are designed for 32 bit Windows, not 64 bit. So you'll need to modify the INF driver file to trick it into working on Windows 7 64 bit.</p>

<p>You need to take three broad steps. They follow:</p>

<p>1) Prepare the process by modifying the scanner INF file to trick it into working on Windows 7 64 bit.</p>

<p>To do so, go to the FlexColor "INF" folder (typically ...\Program Files(x86)\Hasselblad\FlexColor English v4.0.3\INF). Inside that folder, open the "WinXP" folder. Double-click on the file "IMACON.INF". It should open in Notepad. Look for the following lines:</p>

<p>[Manufacturer]<br>

%Mfg%=Models</p>

<p>[Models]</p>

<p>Modify these three lines to look like this:</p>

<p>[Manufacturer]<br>

%Mfg%=Models,NTamd64</p>

<p>[Models.NTamd64]</p>

<p>Save the file as a new file (e.g. IMACON2.INF) in the same directory.<br>

Leave this alone for now. We'll come back to it.</p>

<p>2) The next trick involves rolling back the IEEE 1394 FireWire drivers that will run the OrangeMicro Converter. The problem is that Window 7 "updated" its handling of FireWire, so you have to undo this.</p>

<p>I found this to be problematic. If I had the whole adapter chain set up from scanner to computer, my MacBook Pro wouldn't boot into Window 7 64 bit. It would just hang. So to get this step to work, set up the chain of adapters as follows (leaving out the Granite Digital adapter):</p>

<p>Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter<br>

Firewire cable to OrangeMicro Converter, with OrangeMicro AC adapter plugged in<br>

OrangeMicro Converter to Flextight Precision II via SCSI cable</p>

<p>With the computer off, plug this series of adapters into the computer.<br>

Turn on the scanner.<br>

Then boot the computer into Windows 7 64 bit.</p>

<p>Go to the Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager) and look under "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" (if the OrangeMicro Converter is working, this should show up).</p>

<p>1- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane<br>

2- Right click the host controller node and select "Update driver software ..."<br>

3- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"<br>

4- Select "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer ..." and check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.<br>

5- Choose the second option---"1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)', and click next to update the driver.</p>

<p>Here's a site with more details on this:<br>

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1/</p>

<p>With the FireWire driver rolled back, shut down the computer and scanner.</p>

<p>3) Now you need to get Windows 7 64 bit to recognize the scanner and load the proper INF driver file. Here's where I stumbled for hours, but I think the following directions should cut to the chase and work to get Windows 7 64 bit to see the scanner and load a functioning driver. With the computer off, set up the chain of adapters as follows:</p>

<p>Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter<br>

Firewire cable to OrangeMicro Converter, with OrangeMicro AC adapter plugged in<br>

OrangeMicro adapter to Granite Digital SCSI Hot-Swap Terminator, with Granite adapter plugged in. "TERM CIRCUIT" switch should be off and "TERM PWR TO BUS" should be ON.<br>

Granite Digital adapter to Flextight Precision II via SCSI cable</p>

<p>Turn on the scanner.<br>

Turn on the computer.</p>

<p>With luck, Windows 7 64 bit will boot just fine.<br>

Click the Windows Start Button and go to "Devices and Printers".<br>

At this point, the Imacon scanner should be listed under "Unknown Devices" as something like "Imacon SCSI Loader L302 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device".</p>

<p>Now, go back to the Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager). The device manager should show the Imacon scanner as an "Unknown Device" in its tree layout.</p>

<p>Right click on the scanner and select "Update driver software ...".<br>

Select "Browse my computer for driver software".<br>

Choose the option "Search for driver software in this location:".<br>

Hit the Browse button and go to the "WinXP" folder where you left the modified INF file (e.g. ...\Program Files(x86)\Hasselblad\FlexColor English v4.0.3\INF\WinXP).<br>

Select that file. It should load and allow you to choose the driver you would like. For the Flextight Precision II select "Imacon FlexTight Precision II Scanner for SCSI".</p>

<p>With any luck, this will load, and you should be away to the races. Go ahead and run FlexTight 4.0.3. It should see the scanner just fine. If it doesn't, you may need one reboot after loading the driver.</p>

<p>IMACON POWER SUPPLY</p>

<p>The original power supply to my Imacon Flextight Precision II scanner somehow blew. If I plugged it in, it would emit a constant clicking sound, and no power would get to the scanner. Hasselblad (and places like B&H) sell a replacement power supply for $350 plus shipping. You can do better.</p>

<p>Somewhat amazingly, Protek Power, the company that made the original power supply, is still in business and still making these kinds of power supplies. The original power supply is no longer available, but a replacement model works perfectly. You'll want the Protek Power "PUP60-32" model. You can get it for about $100 from www.psui.com (as of early 2013). Here's a link:</p>

<p>http://www.psui.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?defaction=search&keywords=pup60-32&x=-336&y=-207</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Hi, I don't know if anyone is still interested but the Imacon Flextight II/III works fine on Windows 7 64 bit without any weird and wonderful workarounds. It's just not completely obvious (as I discovered this weekend) you just need the right SCSI card/driver and the right version of Flexcolor - the software is free - worst case scenario is that you spend £10 on a SCSI card. Let me know if you need any help.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>Further to my previous post, the configuration I am using is an Adaptec 19160 SCSI card with 64-bit driver. The latest 64-bit versions of Flexcolor do not appear to work with the Flextight scanners. I am using an older 32-bit version, v4.0.3. If the scanner is the only SCSI device connected to your PC, or it is the last of a chain of devices it will require a SCSI terminator to be connected to it's second SCSI socket. The scanner should be turned on before turning on the PC. When the PC is booting you should see a list of SCSI devices. The scanner should appear as 'Imacon SCSI Loader'. When launching Flexcolor, the scanner should appear in the devices list. If these two conditions are met then the scanner should work correctly.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Hello</p>

<p>I just purchased a Flextight Precision II scanner and am planning on connecting it to a 64-bit WIN 7 machine. I noticed some posts on this thread that lead me to believe it can be done. </p>

<p>However, this thread is a few years old, and I was hoping that the original contributors might be able to offer any new tips or insights?</p>

<p>Thanks so much,</p>

<p>Carlos</p>