I'm official! Now what?

A little history first. I've been a hobbiest for many years, starting with film and darkroom classes in high school. Being a young, dumb kid I didn't work hard or really pay attention to what I COULD become. I worked a few jobs behind the camera like mall portrait studios, and found myself photographing cars for friends. This turned into some pretty cool gigs! I was flown around the country by Penske for awhile shooting their promo events! This will always be a highlight in my photography career.. anyways. Fast forward ten years and I had dropped off with my photography, felt I couldn't make a consistent living. Went to school for the medical field and that's what I've been doing since. About two years ago I got a wild hair and decided to buy a new camera. It revitalized my interests and I decided that I was going to put my head down and find a way. My photography skills are not bad. I'm a very technical person. I can learn techniques and styles very easily. Not much for the "art" I'm just not a unique enough thinker to create my own master piece. I decided the best way I could do this was business school. Two years in and I feel like I know you all personally.. and every other photo forum too. (Long time lurker).

So this is what I've done..

I refused to charge for any work while I was "building" myself. I still put myself out there though, told everyone my plans and asked for volunteers to shoot every chance I got. This was something that confused and even down right angered some of my fellow photogs. I decided I would not charge until I was licensed, insured, and have all of the necessary equipment and contracts. This has been a long long two years of over time and ramen noodles.. but I've made it. I am now all of those things. So I made a simple post on my media outlets sayin that it's official that I am open for business. With in that 24 hours I book 6 weddings! Holy crap!!

I guess what I'm saying is, is business school is worth it, put your head down and work, and learn to market for the future.

I would appreciate any tips yall may have to offer for being fresh out of the gate. Maybe stuff you wished you had known. I wanted to do this right, and I feel I've put my best possible foot forward. However there is always room for error, it's impossible to be prepared for it all, and I'm still wet behind the ears and know very little. What mistakes have been made and how did you over come?