"I'm going to take all your cameras ... You've got 10 seconds before I make you go."

<p>From WTRF television web site:<br /> <br /> JUST IN: OHIO VALLEY MALL SECURITY GUARD FIRED: The mall security guard at the center of a parking lot brawl with another woman has been fired. Mall Director of Corporate Communications, Joe Bell, told WTRF that an internal investigation has been concluded, and company officials "determined that the guard had not performed to the standards required of the company's security guards.</p>

<p>And the Belmont county prosecutor is reviewing the case and will decide if any charges will be filed against her or the others involved.</p>

a mall security guard is NOT a police officer and does not have the same powers as a sworn officer

IF the lady had a problem she should have called the REAL police

she did NOT

it is also possible if the mall security guard is an off-duty police officer and does not identify herself,

she is not acting as an officer and does not have the same power.

she is trying to enforce some kind of RULE

that is not the same as a law.

besides the security officer cannot touch or strike or otherwise act against a person'

since she is not a police person

In some cases such as theft from the mall.

it depends on local laws as to what the guard can do.

If she strikes a person, the other person can and often will act in self-defence.

Possibly injuring the security officer. The likely result will be the security officer will lose her job.

and can be sued. You cannot go around hitting or grabbing people.

You can act to prevent yourself from being assaulted.

<p>Enforcing mall rules is an enormous burden to place on a minimum-wage mall security guard when even a seasoned attorney might take a few hours to research the law and interpret how a judge might apply the law under these circumstances. </p>

<p>In my view, the mall management should offer an apology to the public, take full responsibility, reinstate the guard's employment and promise better training.</p>

• Like 1

<blockquote>

<p>In my view, the mall management should offer an apology to the public, take full responsibility, reinstate the guard's employment and promise better training.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I completely agree with you Michael. However ridiculous this woman's performance was and however annoying these people can be, they are there representing their employers and carrying out their wishes. </p>

<p>Good grief. Poorly trained, young and inexperienced security guard escalated a pointless situation. She let it get out of control when it didn't have to. The security guard got too caught up in a power trip to use common sense not to let this get so out of hand. This should make a nice training video how not to handle a situation.</p>

<p>It could have been avoided entirely. The intent of mall rules on no photography are for reasons other than people shooting iPhone video of the wreck off a highway hundreds of feet off mall property. These people were not taking pictures of the mall, they were not casing the mall for robbery, there was no foot cam looking up skirts or catching people in dressing rooms, there was an obvious wreck and people were capturing the scene of a crash. Images that could prove useful for law enforcement, rescue personnel and insurance companies, not to mention news. Amateur video captured by cell phones on TV news is common these days.</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

"Those may be some of the stupidest people on the planet... ...it was that dumb."

Agree 100%

"even a seasoned attorney might take a few hours to research the law and interpret how a judge might apply the law under these circumstances."

It will take only a few seconds. Its private property. Dumb isn't a protected class. They can be compelled to leave even for silly reasons. Although the procedure would be different of course.

"In my view, the mall management should, take full responsibility, reinstate the guard's employment and promise better training."

How do you know there wasn't? The lady's conduct defied common sense. Its possible that no amount of training would prevent this person from poor behavior. Reinstating someone so out of control will only result in exposure for liability for negligent retention when she screws up again. (Especially if she gets some Krav Maga training to use in future scuffles like this one.)

<blockquote>

<p>" Reinstating someone so out of control will only result in exposure for liability for negligent retention when she screws up again. (<strong><em>Especially if she gets some Krav Maga training</em></strong> to use in future scuffles like this one.)"</p>

</blockquote>

<p> . . . speaking of which: the Lady in the orange top and bike helmet swept the security guard's leg well enough, to down her, quite quickly.<br>

WW<br>

</p>

<p>Second lesson: If you are armed with some kind of defensive weapon, learn how to get it out of the holster!<br>

Third lesson: If she had been a cop, armed with a gun, someone would have been seriously hurt.<br>

Fourth lesson: completely ridiculous to pretend to have rules, telling you, that you cannot photograph in a public space (open public access, no visible signs, no entrance fees) owned by someone (yes, I know, it's common practice). <br>

Fifth lesson: it is damn stupid to disguise a parking guard so she looks like a police officer, which invites for confusion of the officer and the public. <br>

... and surely: better training: any parking guard should be able to stop any physical assault from women or men with helms, and learn to calm down. Better fitness would be useful too. </p>

<p>This is excellent. I know it's serious, but when the incompetent wrestling starts I can't stop laughing. I love it that the people with the video cameras are just standing there while the very excited security guard yells at them and not doing anything.</p>

<p>I don't generally like the idea of firing people, but I have to agree with the mall. First of all, if they weren't on mall property their rules shouldn't apply. Second, even though it's probably very hard to do, yelling at people just gets their back up. It's unprofessional and ineffective. Then if the guard thinks he or she is right, and the other person won't comply, he or she should call the office to get a read. The office can decide whether to call the police.</p>

<p>That was really such a stupid performance that the mall probably just said "do we want this person representing us?" It looked like a guard with delusions of competence.</p>

The video shows a sad-funny-pathetic situation but unfortunateloy Big Brother is taking over in a lot of areas of our society.The guard was way over her head but this is how our rights get eroded bit by bit like the Chinese water torture.Taking photographs is such an evil practice isn't it -- like witchcraft and devil worship.

<p>I'm at a loss to understand what she was so offended by. The people were - admittedly - on mall property, but they were in the parking lot and were shooting an incident away from the mall and far off property. </p>

<p>Clearly there is a lack of training involved here, leading to a total misunderstanding of her role, her duties and the correct and appropriate response. There's also, however, a complete lack of common sense and discretion which is why it seems right that she should be seeking more suitable employment at this time.</p>

<p>The whole incident could have been easily avoided if people would follow the rules. You can't just stroll onto private property and do what you want. The rubberneckers were congregating next to and on a private road. If the security guard doesn't break up the crowd more legions of the curious are going to congregate. So you have an accident and EMS, police and fire might need to park where this crowd is. You also have mall traffic on the road where these people are loitering. And you have one underpaid security guard with no back up to manage this growing clusterf--k. Give people at work a break. I hate it when I am out in public get ready to take a shot and because I have a big unusual camera people linger in my shot because they think they are going to get famous. If someone is working get out of their way.</p>

<p>Jeff, I think people are generally pretty cooperative if you don't act like a Nazi storm trooper. How about this approach, in a loud, authoritative voice:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Hey y'all, I need you to back away from this area to make room for the emergency vehicles. Could y'all back up, please?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Geez, I kinda feel sorry for the guard, though it's her fault she made an utter fool of herself. She was so far out of her depth she had no clue how to deal with it. I don't see how she could have received <em>any</em> training in handling people. She should have at least been paired up with someone considerably more experienced. </p>