I'll be the first one to complain about the 5D MKII :)

peter_langfelder

As of now everyone seems to be in love with the new 5D Mk II, so I'll complain a bit. My two biggest gripes about

my old trusty 5D are 1. the position of AF points in the viewfinder (too central), and 2. mirror lockup hidden in

custom functions. The mirror lockup becomes especially tiring if you also want to set and re-set custom white

balance. Every indication is that the 5D MKII is, in these two regards, unchanged. Further, less irritating but

also apparently unchanged: the focus points' active area seems to be larger than indicated, or shift at close

focus (or both); and the exposure compensation/meter scale is restricted to +/-2 stops, which isn't always

enough. And while I'm complaining, I might add that the landscape sample image posted on canon japan looks

distinctively P&S-like. Plenty of color fringing near borders and little texture in the low-contrast, darker areas.

A border crop of the landscape sample image from Canon Japan is attached for illustration.<div>00QsSk-71447684.jpg.9e76648fb0a7153ce5bebf463dce6383.jpg</div>

I'd complain about the lacking of dual CF or mix of CF and SF card. Especially with HD video ... you may need to

store video on one side and images the other... It makes more sens though, otherwise, Canon would stop making the

1Ds3 if the 5D2 were "so perfect".

Now it makes more sense to use 16 + GIG CF cards. I know that some limit themselves to 2 GIG CF cards (I've been

shooting with dual 16 GIG on my 1D3 and 16 GIG with the 5D without hazards so far. Keep knocking woods).

Yeah, how many parts in the camera compares to how many parts in the CF card? What is the ratio of "chance"' that

one fails or another?

Ah dunno, ah thinks the position of the AF points is a moot point. Most of us only use the center AF point anyway. Why?

The joystick is too slow to select AF points except for landscapes. I want ECF back! As for the AF point being bigger than

indicated, that's how they've always been, at least since my first 3 AF sensor body I bought in 1990 (EOS 10S). It only takes a

few minutes of experimenting to figure it out and adapt your technique. I'd rather not see the AF boxes at all (like

the 1D series).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi Puppy, the joystick works so-so to ok for me, mostly. ECF would certainly be very welcome though. IIRC the focus point indications were quite accurate on my old EOS 3 (sold in the meantime, can't verify anymore). Definitely not as bad as the 5D.

When I transitioned from the 3 to 5D, compositions of my social situation photos went dramatically downhill (way too much empty space at the top) until I started doing the focus-recompose dance. Trouble is my subjects often move and recomposing means losing focus altogether. If Canon never produced the EOS 3, I guess we might not be complaining, but it has, and it's baffling that a 10-year old semi-pro camera that last sold for $800 still beats, in terms of usability, the newest $2700 semi-pro body.

Here's a quote from Canon USA site:

<p><i>

The EOS 5D Mark II has a sophisticated AF system consisting of 9 user-selectable AF points, along with a total of 6 additional vertical and horizontal AF assist points. The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal lines at f/5.6.

</i>

<p>

I hope this is just mistaken carryover from the old description... nothing I can find from Canon would indicate the AF points are actually all cross type. That would be doubly sad.

<P>From dpreview specs:

<P>• 9-point TTL CMOS sensor </P>

<P>• 6 "Invisible Assist AF points"</P>

<P>• <B>All points cross-type for lenses of F5.6 or faster</B></P>

<P>• Center point additionally sensitive with lenses of F2.8 or faster</P>

<P>• AF working range: -0.5 - 18 EV (at 23°C, ISO 100)

</P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I cant believe I see complaining about the functionality of a camera that hasnt even been tested yet. None of you

have used it yet and already complaining about the focus points/joystick function/color fringing blah blah blah. The

landscape shot was only f7.1 and the parts of the image that being complained about are 3 miles away from the

focus plain in the far corners of a wide angle "Zoom" lens.

Also notice the unbareable haze in that area. Very

smoggy

looking. Not a clear shot. My god, give it a fighting chance. Is this where our expectations have gotten us. We

expect to see actual "texture" in moss 2 miles away using a wide angle zoom lens at 28mm. Sorry, but if you

expect this, even the

Phase One P65 wont be enough for you and its $41,000. Times are good I guess when complaining gets to be this

brutal.

<I>We expect to see actual "texture" in moss 2 miles away</i><P>

And when I print it, I want to <B>feel</b> that texture! ;-)<P>

<I>Theres no high speed sync option for the 5D/ 5DMKII ? That would be lame..... </i><P>

Canonites can set high speed sync on their flash and think 12 mp would be lame. ;-)

I was hoping that they expand the focusing points. I'm not a photo technician, but I ran into allot of situations where the focusing points on the EOS 30D could not cut it. They were either too low, or too close to the center point. It's not easy doing a compose/recompose when you are shooting at night and you have the camera sitting on a tripod. Also forget about shooting at night, if I can't see it with my own eyes then why bother shooting it. I was also hoping for -3/+3 better -4/+4 compensation. Also a Focusing aid like they have on the Olympus E3 and Robust weather sealing. I like the idea of 21 megapixels though.

All Canon EOS since the Elan II released in 1996 (maybe even earlier) or so has FP high speed sync if matched up with Canon EX Speedlite. I guess they don't mentioned that "feature" since it's been available for over a decade. Yes, the 5D has that too.

As far as mirror lockup, my lowly 40D allow me to assign one of the custom preset on the dial for any specific custom function combination. I'll be surprised if the new 5D does not have that.

For those who can't believe I'm already complaining: I know very well what the shortcomings of my 5D are, and they don't seem to be addressed by the upgrade. The focus points definitely not, the MLU most likely not. It surprises me that no one complains about the legions of fans already loving new and hence untested features, but people are in arms when I point out that Canon didn't improve things that to me needed improving (and some were better implemented on a camera from 10 years ago).

I am fully aware that the test shot shows the shortcomings of the lens and quite possibly the photographer who chose a distant, hazy landscape. I think it also shows that the higher resolution of the camera will often serve only to highlight the shortcomings of the lens in front of it, including a new L series zoom. Another reason why I think Canon could have usefully put the emphasis of the upgrade a little less on the sheer resolution and a little more on the basic features.

The only reference to 9 cross-type points, the one on dpreview.com, is now gone. Reading what Canon says:

<p><i>The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal

lines at f/5.6.</i>

<p>means only the central AF point is cross-type, and that only with lenses f/2.8 or faster. No high precision

focusing point here, unlike on the 40D. I know I haven't seen the camera yet, but this is disappointing.