geoff_mcauliffe

Warm Water (125F or 52C)...................24 oz 750.0 cc

Metol......................................30 gn 2.0 gm

Sodium Sulfite, dessicated...........3 oz 145 gn 100.0 gm

Hydroquinone...............................75 gn 5.0 gm

Borax......................................30 gn 2.0 gm

Add Cold Water to make 32 oz 1.0 ltr

<p>

Apparently identical to Kodak D-76, by the way.

Dear collegue,

Someone gave you D-76 formula instead of ID-11. Even if the difference is very slight, both formulaes are not identical. ID-11 formula is given in Jack Coote's book "Ilford Monochrome Darkroom Practice" published by Focal Press (page 97) :

metol : 3 g

Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) : 100 g

hydroquinone : 5 g

borax : 2 g

D-76 needs only 2 g of metol. That is the only difference with ID-11. However, the D-76 package solution seems to be slightly different than the published formula : it is said the metol is replaced by phenidone and borax by sodium metaborate.

But practical differencies between the two formulaes are impossible to distinguish.

I am French. Are you American ?

Happy mixing !

Thanks Philippe for setting that straight. I was somewhat surprised to find my source (Carroll's Photographic Lab Handbook) saying they were the same; I had it in my mind that there was some slight difference. After reading your reply, I checked a back issue of The British Journal Photographic Annual, a good source for all sorts of formulae, and it listed D.76 and then said that it was marketed under several brand names such as ID-11, M & B 320, and Johnsons Fine Grain with small formula variations. Having used both D.76 and ID-11, I personally feel that variations in development technique could create much more difference in a negative than the use of one or the other of these developers.