Ilford disposable cameras

anton_kratz

<p>I have two disposable b/w film cameras from Ilford (these: http://500px.com/photo/55680768).<br>

There are warnings on the box to *not* open the cameras. Still I will want to get the film out.<br>

Anything I need to consider when opening these after exposure?<br>

<strong>Especially, does anyone know if the film is still in the cartridge?</strong> Or is the film somehow wound directly into the cameras?<br>

I ask because it would be much more convenient for me to give the film in cartridge form for developing. The lab where this will be developed will probably not know how to work with these disposable cameras, or not care, or charge extra.</p>

<p>How the camera operates will give you a clue. On an old Fuji I had sitting around, the exposure number counts down, and after the last exposure, the advance wheel spun freely.</p>

<p>I broke it open and it has a standard 35mm cartridge and the film was entirely inside the cartridge. But, I can't promise that the Ilford will be the same.</p>

<p>Why don't they want you to open it? 1) If it has a flash, there are dangerous voltages inside. 2) Some parts may be re-usable and the developer may get credit if they return the camera to the factory.</p>

<p>You have a good plan, most developers won't know what to do with it.</p>

<p>I don't remember what shots are on my camera, so I need to decide if they are worth developing. </p>

<p>Depending on the camera design, the film might be preloaded so that taking the shot and winding the film advance actually returns the film into the cassette. This would help minimize the risk of fogging exposed frames in case anyone accidentally opened the cameras in light. This type may not have an externally visible film rewind knob. If there is an externally visible rewind knob the film is probably loaded, advanced and rewound normally as with most other cameras.</p>

<p>As John said, any minilab should be able to handle the XP2 Super version of Ilford's single use cameras. For the past few years some minilabs see more single use cameras than anything else, and often sell them and reload them for customers. Until last year our corner pharmacy handled those, and the cameras weren't really "single use" since the minilab operator would reload film on the spot for the customer using the same camera.</p>

<p>Ilford offered a prepaid version of the single use cameras in the UK that included processing. I'm not sure whether that offer was expanded to any other market.</p>

<p>Ilford has also <a href="http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=171">contracted with a b&w processing lab in California for processing</a> and printing b&w film, if you'd like to mail it to the US. But the cost might be prohibitive.</p>

<p>One safety aspect you MUST be aware of is the built in flash. If you crack that sucker open in the dark and get a blast from one of the capacitors you will either need to call an ambulance or the undertaker. They can kill you, no joke!</p>

<p>As others have said, any decent lab can deal with disposable cameras. Plenty of people still use them. My advice would be to send to a proper lab (not some junky supermarket 1 hour place). Make sure you warn them about it being black and white film if it is not XP2.</p>