Ikomat 520/2

I don't remember the exact expression. Maybe there's more than one... it goes "Do a good deed", or "Don't miss the chance to do a good

deed daily", or maybe it was something like "don't let a good deed go unrewarded." Well anyway I had the extreme good fortune to get a

6x9 Folder from a collaborater here on this Forum . I'm really grateful and pleased and I wanted to put this thing in action. I had to get some

more Fixer and this took a while for various reasons. But I finally got it mixed and shot the first roll yesterday!

This model is called the Ikomat and I read somewhere that this is the US model for the Ikonta. Its name is clearly embossed in the leatherette at the Top and the model designation 520/2 embossed on the bottomThese folders were made for about 25 or 30 years in a many film formats with various lenses, shutters and focusing systems. This Model has the Novar Anastigmatic, in a Derval shutter. The shutter works great. This is one of the round type mounted on the top of the lens. It takes a little fumbling to find the exact T setting, but the I can feel the tightening of the shutter moving from the 25 to the 50 settings and then to the maximum 100. Tripping the shutter is gentle and feels just right. There is no tension to set first before you fire the shutter. It's just an immediate downward flip. I don't know the exact year for this one, but I think it was a pre-war model. The only listing for Derval shutter on Claytons list is for the 645 model and the 6x9 models lists no shutter but says 1930-1940. This thing is in amazing condition for a pre-war camera.

I loaded it with some HP5+ that'S out-of date, and is lightly fogged. I set my meter for 200 and developed it for 13 minutes in D76 1:1. In bright sunlight the results are a bit soft, though I can't really see any problem. The best result was in open shade at least for this round. I think I will try to clean the lens. How do you remove the focusing element on the front? Anyone? I did clean the front and the back as well as the finder before using. Apropos the finder. I learned a lesson with the finder.I thought I had some room to play and wanted a flat focal plane, so I didn't tilt the camera thinking I had some margin for error! Lesson ! Trust the Finder! I took a walk through the city park here in Duesseldorf. It's really quite large. Some portions go back to the late 1700s. Other parts were added 30 years later in one of the first planned parks. It's called the Hofgarten and it is truly a delight.<div>00Wt3r-261161684.thumb.jpg.a880ef97895f64893b9224e7ddbd9919.jpg</div>

<p>Whatever the actual causes, the effect in some of the pictures comes across looking like halation in the old days. Gives a nice period look to the images.</p>

<p>Why anyone would ever buy one of the cheap plastic cameras when there are so many beautiful oldies available is more than I can figure out -- unless of course, you buy <strong><em>old</em></strong> cheap plastic cameras -- that's another story!</p>

<p>Es macht großen Spaß, mit alten sachen zu spielen!<br>

I've found the best way to exploit these old uncoated Tessars and Triplets is to use a yellow or orange filter and shoot contrasty subjects. The glow of whites is very pleasing, especially sun-drenched buildings and faces.<br>

Glad to see the ol' girl back in action. Fantastic that it's still providing enjoyment 70 years and going ( and both sides of the Pond, too) ! </p>

<p> </p>

Thanks Folks for all the kind remarks and thanks again Gabor, Didn't know you could do Deutsch! Need to try some filters:Rick,you always have great pics of the camera lucky me this one is in good shape; Ray, indeed, I was counting on some latitude, but there were some hard situations and I did have to tweak two of these a bit;SP, I noticed too the depth on the left I think this one is sharper on the edges than in the center; Louis, thanks, vintage does seem to come through; Mike, I wish it was a bit sharper, but it does work in B&W

<p>Chuck,</p>

<p>Nice camera and photos. I checked through my old catalogs and I think I found your camera.</p>

<p>This listing I am including is from a 1936 Central Camera catalog. It shows an Ikomat C with a Norval lens and a Derval shutter.</p>

<p>McKeown's lists the Ikonta C (520/2) as the equivalent. It lists the dates as 1930-1940. </p>

<p>It looks like a fun camera. Hope to see more photos.</p>