Ikoflex Light Leak

steve_mareno1

<p>I bought another Ikoflex TLR that has an unusual light leak. At least I think it's a light leak. At first I had hoped it was a film loading issue w/ the developing tank, but the second roll showed the same thing, even after I had taped up the red window in the bottom of the camera to rule that out. It looks different than other light leaks I've seen. Almost like it's internal. The shutter retainer inside had some marks on it, so I thought maybe someone had taken shutter/lens out at some point and not gotten it tightened down properly (although it was sure hard to loosen). I took the lens/shutter out, and all I saw was that the washers that were there to allow for infinity focus had a notch in them to line things up w/ an alignment pin. Other than that I didn't see anything obvious, so I put it back together and need to shoot another roll, but does this look familiar to anyone here? The back door seals look questionable, but the only bad area looks like it's at the top of the door by the latch, which isn't where the leak seems to be coming from.Thanks.</p><div>00bjen-540765184.jpg.8384691f5c3bb59faca50c1bacf56749.jpg</div>

<p>Looks like two pin hole light leaks to me.<br>

#1- left center of image to bottom center to right third = camera right center to top center to right third<br>

#2- top left corner of image to left third center = camera lower right corner. Weaker leak or less light was in this area.</p>

<p>You could load in dim light, tape the back after closing, shoot another roll to confirm the back seals are the problem source.<br>

In total darkness you could shine a bright light such as a mini mag set to spot at 1 to 2 inches around the lens, shutter, and such while looking inside the camera film compartment to verify its not the shutter or mount. </p>

<p>Thanks Charles. I tried the light test and didn't see anything. Then I tried shining light on the back's edges and and peered into the shutter on B, but it is less than optimal, so I came to no conclusions there. This is actually the first time I've ever had a light leak on a TLR, so I'm due. I bought some cheap film just now for just this sort of thing (5 rolls of Ultrafine 100 for $17 shipped on fleabay). When it comes in I'll load the camera up, tape up the back all along the edges, and see how it goes.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Update. I taped up the back's edges w/ some black electrical tape and went out and shot a roll of film. No more light leaks. Everything worked fine. Whether or not it was the re tightening of the shutter or the camera's back seals that were causing the light leaks I don't know. It took very little time to tape the back, and the tape blended in well w/ the black covering, so I'll simply re tape it next time I shoot it. Pretty happy.</p>

<p>Here's some shots. These are very quirky TLRs that weigh a ton compared to my Bakelite Brillants, but their 3 element Novars produce very nice tonality and are certainly "sharp enough". This particular later model Ikoflex has deep blue color on the coatings, while my earlier one had nearly no coatings. The earlier lens was sharper, but this one has better IQ, although the differences between them are not that much really.</p>

<p>Note: This is the second roll I ran through it after the fix. The Ultrafine Plus 100 roll was a disaster. No light leaks, but wow, that is a terrible film! Stick to Tri-X and Ilford, that's my new mantra. These are from my usual Tri-X w/ a yellow filter, and developed in D76.</p><div>00blPp-540927884.jpg.a53a24a092cfcbc26724d69097152ea3.jpg</div>