IIIf RDST Midland value?

<p>I think I might have won the Leica lottery on a recent purchase, which I made to get a camera to use, not to put on a shelf and look at. Then again, maybe not -- but posting here is the first step to finding out if I have. As much as I have disdain for the concept of putting cameras on shelves and not using them, if I can turn a healthy profit by flipping my current camera and using the proceeds to get even more user-grade photo equipment, why not?<br>

I have a Leica IIIf RDST, serial number 773899. <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmnum.htm">Stephen Gandy's list</a> indicates that this means it was assembled in Canada, despite the chrome saying "Ernst Leitz GMBH Wetzlar".<br>

It is <em>not</em> pristine; there is a shallow 2mm ding on the top edge of the chrome near the speed dial, and the Vulcanite was chipped in two places (and I used Liquid Electrical Tape to repair the chips, not wanting them to spread further). (Something tells me that if it's lusted after by collectors, I probably knocked a lot off its value by doing that, but I didn't know the significance of the serial number at the time.)<br>

I purchased it for $420. Is it <em>really</em> probably worth something like 5 or 10 times this value, despite what I've done to it?</p>

<p>Collectors generally want MINT cameras, and nothing less. Any flaw will significantly reduce the value of the item in question. I suspect that your camera is probably worth what you paid for it. Not saying Canada on the body means it is not as collectible. Collectors are a strange breed. They are the ones who use a flashlight to look through lenses, trying to find any kind of flaw they can. I've never heard of a IIIf worth much more than yours. The IIIg is the one that seems to be worth way too much, and for that money most shooters would buy an M3 anyway.</p>

<p>No, I think you haven't won the lottery, unless the "Ernst Leitz GMBH Wetzlar" is upside down. There are lots of 'supposed to bees' around, including upgrades from II to III models. I don't know if anybody gets excited about list mismatches, but the condition sounds fairly ordinary, and that usually puts the rabid collector off. I think, use it, as you intended.</p>

<p><em>Collectors are a strange breed. They are the ones who use a flashlight to look through lenses, trying to find any kind of flaw they can.</em><br>

If this is strange, what's normal? Checking lenses with a flashlight saves an awful lot of money and grief, no matter what you want the lens for. A lens can be really horrible and still look OK by reflected light!</p>

<p>David Barts, your IIIf may have been assembled in Canada from German parts (at that time only the Canadian lenses were both manufactured and assembled at Midland), but it was produced in fairly large numbers (although much less than at Wetzlar) and the less than mint condition probably does not allow much appreciation in value over a Wetzlar model inthe same condition. If it was a IIIg assembled at Midland it may have a high value, as so very few (in the low hundreds) were assembled there.</p>

<p>What interests the collector is often very specific. I have a Solms fabricated 35mm Summicron ASPH in mint condition that was produced at Leica with a Summilux inscribed f1.4 (and f2) markings on its depth of field scale, with the rest of the markings, f2.8 or f4 on, corresponding to the actual Summicron DOF scale markings. Leica thinks that it is likely the tech that made a mistake in assembly, probably just after a production run of the f1.4 Summiluxes.</p>

<p>I asked of course, but there is not a mad rush to acquire this apparently interesting collectible. As the scale works accurately as it is, I will just keep shooting with it and be simply amused that I havea quirky lens. You are probably best to also use yours in that manner. But I may be mistaken, I am not a collector.</p>

I have an opportunity on a iiif with 5cm f2 lens and original leather case. From the pictures it looks in very good

condition. The serial say it has been built in Germany 1952/1953 (red dial). How much yould you pay for that kit?