If you're into street photography...

guy_gervais

<p>I see some really great photos but also lots of stuff your dog could take with a camera around his neck . That's what I will never understand about this "thing" called street photography, everything seems to work for somebody. Or is it just the artsy way to go?</p>

<p>I agree regardless of my earlier comment, Markus. Some of the stuff does look similar to when I accidently hit the stutter when the lens is pointed at my feet. But the good shots (and there are many) are very good with some real standouts.</p>

<p>The commentary is very good as well. I like his writing style.</p>

<p>OK Markus, it's now public, you cannot get away from writing that article!</p>

<p>And I too have wasted, ahem, spent a fair share of time today reading Johnny's photo comments. Having been a young child at the time many of those were taken (in the U.K.), it is interesting to see how they were interpreted through word and image by somebody as articulate in both as Johnny Stiletto. If that's his real name!</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing the link guy. While I have not checked out the writing which I will, I have looked at some of the photos. Some great and then some not good at all...Still, they will appeal to some...</p>

<p>The beauty of street photography is that there are no rules. Blurry shots, out of focus, noisy, grainy, throw the rule book out the window. Underexposed, over exposed, its the capture that matters and while many can do it, only a few really get it...You ask 5 different street shutterbugs what street is, and you will likely get 5 different answers...crooked composition, perfect,,,rule of thirds? What rule....The closer, the dirtier, the smellier, the better....</p>

<p>Actually, Peter, they are not used in many places and they are going away. The use of flash-based sites is in decline and has been so for a long time. It's mostly people in the design and photography world that still use them. The reason is two-fold, I believe: designers and the like know the importance of graphical design on one hand; and they are not technically savvy so they can be sold a bill of goods by web designers on the other. Fortunately more and more photographers are using normal sites nowadays. No point in wasting your time on those still making it hard to see their work.</p>

<p>Oh, and adjusting my browser would not help; it's my eyes that hurt from the typeface and size and I can't adjust them.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing, Guy. i will agree that a lot of us can take some shots accidentally that may end up looking not so different than these but will propose that in many ways--especially true in the medium of digital photography which encourages prolific image production--that editing work can be just as important as the shutter-snapping part. Anybody with four hours and some extra memory cards can snap hundreds of pictures walking around city streets, but it takes something more to take the time & effort to select the stand-outs and write down your thoughts on them. No doubt a good number of these also benefit substantially from nostalgism. I don't think I'm the only one here who finds shots of people & cities from 20-50 years ago significantly more interesting than similar shots taken last week.</p>

<p>Site looks great! I agree that the commentary turns a lot of these uh...photos... into works of art. Sometimes tho, I think that just a title can be enough for a photo, especially if the idea is to leave questions unanswered.</p>

<p>As far as the presentation, it looks on on firefox 3.0(linux) on a 21" lcd. Granted: it doesn't take up very much of the screen here, but it's still readable.</p>

<p>This one is really good..My fav so far..I agree the writing is what makes some of these photos great..I better start brushing up on my grammar and get rid of the guetto slang I am used to .</p>

<p><a href="http://www.aliasjohnnystiletto.com/#/knife-fork-camera/leopard-skin-boots">http://www.aliasjohnnystiletto.com/#/knife-fork-camera/leopard-skin-boots</a></p>

<p>A few more favs.<br>

Ok, a few more favs.<br>

<a href="http://www.aliasjohnnystiletto.com/#/slow-days-and-cigarettes/manhattan">Love this shot.</a><br>

<a href="http://www.aliasjohnnystiletto.com/#/small-moments-big-city/jagger">This is brilliant!</a><br>

<a href="http://www.aliasjohnnystiletto.com/#/small-moments-big-city/heels">Ok, my new favorite.</a></p>

<p> </p>