If you think Gary's Lightsphere is expensive...

bruce_rubenstein

If you like his Lightsphere, maybe you would like him to shoot your

wedding: <a

href="http://www.storybookweddings.com/pricing3589/coverage.html">Gary

Fong Wedding Fee</a>, then again, maybe not. How about your kid: <a

href="http://www.storybookweddings.com/pricing3589/children.html">Gary

Fong Children Photography Fee</a>, it does include one 5x7.

Rumor has it that he doesn't really want to do weddings anymore and

hasn't shot any for quite some time.

Funny thing about America (The US)...<br>

People come from all over the world.<br>

Gary Fong is an American dude, living in America (The US).<br>

Instead of "Smith" his last name is "Fong"<br>

When Fong says "a buck" that means one US dollar.

ummm- he shot a wedding I was at- maybe 3 years ago. The bride said she paid $7000 I think- which included only web proofing. The pictures were- ok, nothing special in the least (no editing at all). He was very nice though. He must have recently lost his mind charging that- or he never wants to shoot another wedding.

This is a good thing. When the higher end of the market exceeds $20K, $50K, and now $100K, it brings up minimum pricing for the rest of us. In my area, the "middle market" is reaching $7K to 9K, with a few brave studios pushing $20K.

I like to think it's similar to real estate -- $1 million condos are being built next to $300K condos around me, so the value goes up for everyone.

Or, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Jamie, I give you an "A" for ingenuity with your Milkshpere. I'm sure its fine for shooting your family and friends.

In fairness to Gary Fong, the Lightsphere variants are marketed to professional event photographers. While equipment doesn't make the photographer, I wouldn't want to show up for a job with a milk bottle on my flash. It would be declasse.

Interestingly enough those famous people he has photographed seam to have stopped in 2001 as their are no more barely heard of Hockey players weddings or the niece of someone famous listed in his Biography.

Maybe he's saving himself for someone who can appreciate his level of work.

I usually charge 10% less, just so that I can stay one step ahead of the competition. So, my prices start at $108k. HA!

It sounds like Gary Fong is the Tiger Shulman of Wedding photography - he may or may not be very good, but he gets them paying through the nose.

Wedding photography is assembly line photography anyway. If this dude can get away with charging an arm and a leg for the same assembly line bullshit we all do, then more power to him.