If you had $5k - $6k for a camera outfit what would you get?

mark_ennis

<p>Hi all,<br>

I'm new to the forum and would like some advice please. I'm somewhat new to DSLR cameras. Back in my college days I did develop my own black and white film with excellent results. I've taken tons of digital pics with a sony that is just shy of a DSLR.<br>

As the subject states my father would like to get me a complete camera setup in $5k to $6k range. My brother in law has a 50d which I have used some and enjoyed. I have decided on the Canon 7d in order to get the HD Video. What I can't decide on is which lens or lenses to get.<br>

I have allocated the following so far ( BHPhotovideo.com is where I'm planning on purchasing from):<br>

Canon 7d $1700<br>

Accessories - 2 extra batteries, 2 16gig Sandisk extreme pro CFs, Speelite 430EX II, backpack & tripod<br>

$1200<br>

so far I've spent $2900<br>

I shoot mostly outdoor in sunlight, desert, mountains, back packing, fishing, sporting events as well as indoor family events, dinners, Birthdays,<br>

Which lenses would you all get if you could spend $2k to $3K?<br>

Thanks<br /> Mark</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I don't know if you're going to get any good answers as everyone's needs are different and you're not going to be able to cover everything with quality glass for 2-3K. </p>

<p>The no-brainer suggestion would be the 24-70/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 but that may not be wide enough for you or long enough for you. </p>

<p>What I myself have done is get the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the 100-400L leaving me about 1K which I will be using shortly on either on the new 100/2.8L or putting towards the older (and more expensive) 180/3.5L. </p>

<p>Have you already bought all this stuff? $1200 on accessories? Those Extreme Pro's are really expensive, and might not be necessary. Have you considered the Extreme IV line instead, or even the Lexar Professional? Maybe you only need a pair of 8GB cards instead of 16GB each? You're only getting one light, and it's not even the 580 EX II? Are you getting a carbon-fiber tripod, or what?</p>

<p>What I'm getting at, is maybe you have a little bit of "free money Christmas fever". You think that $6k is an unlimited supply of money, but if you start wasting it you will soon realize it isn't all that much. You could blow the entire wad on one lens like a 600mm and be completely limited. If you've already spent half the money, and don't even have a single lens, you need to seriously reconsider what the heck you are doing. This sounds a little bit like winning the lottery and then blowing everything on a sports car and a mansion and then starving to death.</p>

<p>Cool your jets and shop a little more conservatively, and you can get a nice 16-35mm, 50mm, 70-200mm, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm macro, and all the memory cards and batteries that you need. Make a list of everything you want, and make it fit within your budget. If you get the sense that you don't have enough money, then you are wasting it somewhere. There's no reason you can't get every single piece of glass and accessory you could ever need for $6k.</p>

<p>Ok - all good points. Let us restart a bit. You're getting $5k - $6k. You must present a wish list of exact items and then you purchase it all in one shot and get reimbursed. Nothing has been purchased yet.<br>

I've chosen the 7d only because my brother-in-law will be the teacher and has a 50d and highly suggested I get the 7d since he would be more familiar in helping me learn it. He is very good in my opinion and has suggested a lens or two. I'm asking for another opinion is all but I'd like to stick with the 7d as the body.<br>

Another though is that next christmas we can easily ask for $3k in more camera equipment, ie lenses. For that matter I can afford to spend $2k myself as well. This is just for starters.<br>

We go fly fishing in Wyoming which is 20 miles from electricity, horse back in, and thus need plenty of memory cards and batteries for 7 days. Most likely won't be keeping ALL the raw photos mostly jpegs.<br>

If you wanted to just spend it on the 7d, batteries, memory and lenses what would you do?<br>

I realize that everyone is going to have their own opinion. I'm just looking for solid advice on lenses. If you wanted to just get one, two or three what would you do? Which lenses are your favorite that are always with you for outdoor shooting. Indoor lenses appear to less expensive for what I need them for. My big concern is outdoor stuff.<br>

I seriously appreciate your personal thoughts.<br>

Thanks so much<br>

Mark</p>

<p>If I, personally, had $6k to spend on a Canon system from the ground up, I would shop as follows:</p>

<p>Canon 5D - $1100<br>

Canon 17-40mm f/4 - $600<br>

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - $300<br>

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - $450<br>

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS - $1500<br>

Canon 85mm f/1.8 - $400<br>

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro - $500<br>

2x Lexar Professional 8GB CF cards - $100<br>

4x batteries - $24<br>

Tripod - $45<br>

2x LumoPro LP120 Speedlights - $260<br>

2x lightstands w/modifiers, etc - $160<br>

Cybersync transmitter and 2 receivers - $200<br>

Camera cases - $100</p>

<p>Total: $5,739</p>

<p>Just to stir the pot, and in hopes that you'll actually touch more than one camera body to get at sense for ergonomics (which is especially important when you're out shooting in the field), consider:<br /><br />Nikon D300s<br />17-55/2.8<br />70-200/2.8<br />10-24 ultrawide<br />50/1.4<br /><br />and you'll still have some $ for some extra batteries/storage and even a flash you can use off-camera. Terrific camera, good in rough conditions, and now with dual memory card writing and HD video. The main thing, though (because it or the Canon will do you fine<em>): touch the camera</em>. It's all about your happiness in handling and using it. </p>

<p>OK. I'll take a shot at it.<br>

$1900 for the 7D + 28-135mm. That's not the best lens in the world, but it's not bad and it's terrific for $200.<br>

17-55mm f/2.8. This one IS a terrific lens. A little less than $1000.<br>

50mm f/1.8. Another no-brainer. About $100<br>

70-200mm f/4L IS. Another great lens. About $1200<br>

About $800-$900 worth of Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and a good head. I like the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, but some folks aren't nuts about it. Alternately (this is really bad advice, but lots of folks seem to want to go this way), get a much cheaper carbon fiber tripod. Lots of people like Feisol. Adorama has a store-brand that some folks like. If you don't use it much, something like that might be OK.<br>

That brings you up to about $5000. Less if you go with a cheap tripod. Did I mention that I think that's a bad idea?<br>

As far as "accessories" go, I'd get ONE spare battery, a couple of 8 GB UDMA flash cards (see if you can find some rebates, etc), 580 exII flash, and a nice bag/backpack/etc. to put it all in. That will just about put you at $6000.<br>

Howzat for spending somebody else's money?<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>I would definelty agree on the 70-200f2.8, probably non IS (my pick) and add a 1.4 extender, if any sporting events are at night, you'll need the f2.8. Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for wide shots, several to pick from in the mid-range, 85 f1.8 for portraits/indoor sports. </p>

<p>If you decide to focus on wildlife, next year you can ask for one of the big L zooms.</p>

<p>Many roads lead to Rome. Get lenses with IS if you're planning on shooting video. How about: 10-22 (landscape), 17-55 IS (outdoor, indoor with flash, sports), plus a fast prime (100/2.8 IS macro, or maybe 85/1.8 or 100/2) or a zoom (how about 70-200/4 IS or 70-300/4-5.6 IS) for sports, tighter portraits, and shallow dof shooting.</p>

<p>The new 15-85 is worth a look as well. Comes as a kit lens with the 7D which will save you some $$. Pretty hard to beat 17-55 as a walk-around lens, though.</p>

<p>The 7d is a 1.6 crop factor and from what you say you are going to be primarily shooting my suggestions are:<br>

10-22mm or 17-40mm<br>

24-105mm F4 L is usm<br>

70-200mm F4 L is usm<br>

50mm f/1.4 usm or 28mm f/1.8 for low light indoor stuff -- for that 7d a 50mm = 80mm on FF<br>

580 flash<br>

series 3 or better gitzo tripod and a heavy duty ball head with at least one extra quick release plate.<br>

No electricity then several back up batteries kept a a decent temperature.<br>

Lexar 4gb pro 300x udma cards x 4 or ? instead of the 8gb for that 20 miles in the boondocks stuff in case of something happening would not lose 8gb of photos at once if a card went bad or damaged especially since you don't say you are going to have any other backup or portable device that runs on batteries to download to.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I wouldn't spend that much on my "outfit." I'd just wear the clothes that I have on. Maybe I'd buy a new pair of boots! :)</p>

<p>That said, a 5D2 system with f/4 lenses and a 580 EX gives you about the most bang for the buck. A D700 system would be more durable, but the IQ would be lower. Noise is a problem with Sony systems even though they have great glass. I think the Canon lenses may be the weakest of the three, but the f/4's are light and relatively inexpensive, so it's still a great deal.</p>

<p>Why not just buy the 7D with the kit lens shoot with that for a while and then buy the lenses that you actually find you need. That way you can built a system for you that suits your needs. You might find that you don't need anything else or that you would rather pick up some small prime lenses instead of big zooms.</p>

<p>While we are shopping... Don't forget post processing. What do you have? Will you want Lightroom, Photoshop CS4? Another hard drive to store pics?</p>

<p>I like the idea of the 7D. I have a 7D, 10-22, 24-70L, and a 100-400L. (next two lenses will be a 400 5.6 and 180L macro)</p>

<p>Dream 7D setup, with the outdoors in mind:</p>

<p>- 7D ($1700)<br>

- 17-40mm f/4L ($600) + 77mm UV filter ($50)<br>

- 24-105mm f/4L IS ($1000)<br>

- 70-200mm f/4L IS ($1200)<br>

- 1.4x Tele Extender ($300)</p>

<p>All weather-sealed setup covering 17-280mm with great optics and IS, for just about $5000. IS helps for dawn/dusk/night shots. If you do mostly wildlife, where IS can be less useful than f/2.8, you can sub out the following:</p>

<p>- 24-105mm f/4L IS ---> 24-70mm f/2.8L ($1200)<br>

- 70-200mm f/4L IS ---> 70-200mm f/2.8L ($1200)</p>

<p>If you want extra reach (like for birding), sub out any of the 4 above for:</p>

<p>- 300mm f/4L IS --OR-- 400mm f/5.6L<br>

($1200)</p>

<p>Add in batteries and memory to taste. I have no idea how many batteries you will need since I don't know how much Live View and video (if any) you will be taking; these are the real battery drainers.</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer genuine Canon batteries since I don't trust Chinese ripoffs with my potentially explosive chemistry. And with memory, more of less is more! 2 4GB cards are better than 1 8GB card, for redundancy purposes. Rotate the cards once or twice a day and the loss/corruption of one won't completely doom your shooting for any given day. But bigger cards are better if you are shooting video, so you will have to consider your own needs.</p>

<p>Have you heard of <a href="http://www.atpinc.com/p2-4a.php?sn=00000162">ATP Promax</a> memory cards? They're supposedly water-, freeze-, dust- and shock-proof. They don't really cost more than other name brands, so it can't hurt to try them.</p>

<p>All the glass mentioned on the thread is great, so you can't really make a truly wrong choice. Your dad must be a great guy. Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>build your outfit around your lenses...i'd put more money into glass and less into the camera body and accessories...you will upgrade your camera much sooner then your lenses...i use the 24-70 for most events...i have a terrific portrait lenses 85mm 1.2, but you may not need to spend that type of money if you just want a decent lenses and not a top performer...i also have the 105mm 2.8 for macro, the 135mm 2.0, because I love these lenses and a 70-200 with a 1.4 tele converter...you will quickly learn that the glass is the most important piece of equipment you can purchase and once you get the bug for L glass, you could go haywire...i shoot with a 5D...truthfully, i'm not as familiar with the 7D...you almost need to see how your interest matures for the rest</p>

<p>Body/accessory-wise, it seems pretty well-discussed. But lens selection depends on how you like to shoot. Me for instance, I'd get a Tamron 18-270 VC (since I take day trips pretty often and like to only bring one bag), the 70-200 f/4L (since I shoot Roller Derby, but not enough to spring for the heavier f/2.8), and a crapload of prime lenses. Actually, that's a lie ... probably just the 85 f/1.2 and 50 f/1.2. Then again, that's just what I do. I very rarely use wide angle, and I will always shoot a prime lens when possible for the better depth-of-field control and bokeh.</p>

<p>If you're not sure what you want to shoot, start with the Tamron 18-270 VC. Or the Canon 18-200 IS, if you care what the brandname is. The Canon is a little better, but personally I don't think it's better enough to make up for the fact that the Tamron is cheaper and more versatile - especially when I want to pack light. Then buy a 50 f/1.8 or 1.4, because you're going to own one at some point in your life anyway.</p>

<p>If you're usually outdoors (and it sounds like you will be), think about settings. At f/8-f/11 (common daylight settings) the 15-85 IS is just as good as a 24-70L, weighs and costs less, and is more versatile. But that's definitely not the case at wider apertures. If you almost never use the long end of the zoom (as is my case), then buying a 70-200 f/2.8 is probably a poor choice, since the extra weight won't be worth it. If you use wide angles a lot, the Canon 10-22 is a better investment than a Tamron or Sigma version. If you only use them occassionally, I'd save your money.<br>

I always recommend starting with a super-versatile lens, and a single low-light lens. That way you can take any photo you want, no matter what the situation. Until you know what kind of photography really interests you, buying specialized gear right off the bat is a good way to get a few really pretty, really expensive white paperweights.</p>

I think Richard Hatch has the best all-around setup with the 10-22, 24-70L and 100-400L. That covers the equivelent of

16-640mm range, and leaves you just enough cash for your accessories. And those are 3 spectacular lenses. Good call

Richard.

<ul>

<li>Photoshop</li>

<li>A current computer with lots of RAM</li>

<li>RAID for online storage, and a sensible backup and archiving strategy for the array </li>

<li>Graphic arts grade display</li>

<li>Epson photo printer</li>

<li>Monitor and printer calibration system</li>

<li>Good tutorials and reference material to learn how to use it all</li>

</ul>

Mark, you will indeed get answers as varied as the people who give them, but the bottom line is, I would not go out and blow 6k at a go. I would get your 7D and then RENT a number of lenses. A wide, a normal and perhaps a long telephoto. I would consider:

<br>- Wide/super-wide angle: Canon 10-22, 17-40L or 17-55, Tokina 11-16 or Tamron's new 17-50 f/2.8VC.

<br>- Medium telephoto: 24-105L. Does your brother in law have the 28-135 IS? If so, you could perhaps borrow that and see how you like it on your 7D.

<br>- Long telephoto: 70-200 f/4L IS

<p>I am curious about this statement: "Another though is that next christmas we can easily ask for $3k in more camera equipment, ie lenses."

<p>Is someone else funding your purchase? As has been said, 1200USD is pretty high for accessories. Invest in *appropriate* glass. I would also advocate for getting a larger number of 4GB cards. You don't want to lose 16GB of data in one fell swoop. Also get plenty of portable storage. When backpacking, consider carrying a laptop for backing up stuff and a photo-backpack to carry both the camera system and your laptop. I know little of tripods. I have a Slik 400DX which works well for me.

<p>Make a few weekend trips and shoot with those first. 5-6k is not an amount you want to spend all at once especially if you're not sure what exactly you want. Check the files later and see what your most-used focal lengths and apertures were and make notes on what you felt was missing. Consult with your 'tutor' as well, but ultimately the decision will be based on your shooting style and will depend on you. There's little sense in having a range of 10-200mm potentially covered if you don't know what your shooting preference is. Else you'll just have wasted a lot of cash to end up with expensive dust-collectors ;-) From the sound of it, you don't <i>need</i> the fastest glass as you'll be shooting outdoors most of the time and will have a tripod.

<p>Going totally prime 7D, 24L, 50L, 100L Macro.<br>

Adorama $'s: 1700+1700+1600+1050, after that you'll have to beg for a memorycard and a bag.</p>

<p>Zoomy / wider&longer alternative: 7D + 15-85 + 70-200/4IS + 50/1.4 +100L Macro + x1.4 extender<br>

Adorama $'s: 1700+720+1135+360+1050+310 plus some cash left for memory, flash and a bag.</p>

<p>Other fun stuff: studioflashes, trips, courses, model fees, entry fees.</p>