If you could have only 1 prime(or zoom) lens? Which?

robert_thommes

Lately I've read a few responses where the contibutor mentioned that they use only

one lens 90% of the time, and feel almost "liberated" in doing so. So I thought it

might be interesting if a similar question was asked here; pointing to a lens that

many folks feel is most valuable to them. So..1), if you could have only one lens

and it had to be a PRIME lens, which would it be and why? For the sake of

clarification, let's say it's used on a 1.6X DSLR. And 2), if you could have only one

lens and it was a ZOOM lens, which would it be and why? Thanks for "playing"

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with 24 or 28-whatever zooms is that they are still fairly long on the short end for the APS sensor cameras, if you take my meaning. The lens that corresponds to those on the smaller sensor is the much derided EF-S 17-85mm, which many of us love, warts and all. When I'm at the gardens or on the streets, I rarely have to switch lenses when I'm using it. Close focus, and from the equivalent of 28mm to 135m lens

I'd go with a 50mm lens for a prime. If you're rich, the f/1.2; if poor, the f/1.8. I also really like my 35mm f/2.0, but use 50mm more often on an APS-C body. (I've got the cheap 50mm, since I have a Nikkor f/1.2 that works just fine as a manual lens on my camera).

The 24-105 is a great lens, but for a crop camera, I'd pick the 17-55 f/2.8 hands down. The angular coverage difference between 17 and 24mm is huge. I'd much rather have the range in between 17 and 24 than the range between 55 and 105. But much depends on your shooting style and typical subject matter.

In primes, again, your shooting style would again be really important. I use a 50 f/1.4 a lot, because it's a good portrait lens on a crop camera. But I use a 105 macro even more often, because I shoot a lot of macro.

It doesn't matter if it's FF or 1.3x or 1.6x...

Prime would be the EF 35 f/1.4L and the zoom would be the EF 70-200 f/2.8L.

Plus, the biggest band for your buck would have to be the EF 85 f/1.8.

Why? Construction - Construction - Construction! Sharp & Great Contrast. USM

motor on all three.

There is no doubt, my 70-200 f4L is the lens that I use the most, on my

EOS1n and my 30D. My only prime lens is a Canon 50mm 1.8f, but since purchasing a 24-70 F2.8L lens last year, I now rarely use my 50mm, but it did come in handy for many years.