If you could do it ALL OVER again

bob_k7

<p>Assuming you shoot a wide array of subjects from landscape all the way to sports and portraits, what would your "best bang for the buck" set up be? Body? zooms? primes?<br>

My boyfriend just got his gear ripped off and I was thinking of surprising him with a new set up for Christmas...He was shooting with a 4 year old canon dslr and a couple of nice zooms and 1 prime.<br>

cheers. </p>

<p>bob,</p>

<p>Camera choice is a very personal, very subjective sort of thing. Which is a way of suggesting

that you might be about to get yourself in a lot of hot water by making a well-intentioned but really

bad decision.</p>

<p>For example, was he happy with Canon, or was he thinking about switching? Did he like the

APS-C format, or was he dreaming of going to 8″ × 10″ film but couldn’t

work up the courage to do so?</p>

<p>Rather than make the decisions for him, set him loose on a shopping spree on your dime. I

wouldn’t even suggest a gift certificate, since not everybody wants to shop at the same

camera stores.</p>

<p>That you’re considering this suggests to me that you have a fair amount of disposable

income. If that’s the case, you might want to consider taking him on a trip to New York to

visit one or both of B&H and Adorama. I think that’d be the ideal solution.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Hey guys,<br /> Thank you again for your replies...<br /> Yes, I understand what you were saying about purchasing things for him that might not be exactly what he wants. We actually had a discussion about exactly that a few weeks ago...so I started digging through a bunch of his notes and found something very close to what the first two replies recommended...<br /> TRYING to decipher what he has written down...<br /> 5dii (?) + kit lens/or 24-70 +100 macro L + 70- 200 f4/2.8 is (?)<br /> or<br /> 7d + 17-55 + 100 macro L+ 70-200 f4is/2.8is<br>

Most of the photos he made were in travel (he/we travel at least 3-4x/year), of our dogs, and people doing their daily things abroad. VERY occasionally he'd shoot my daughters sports games, but I know he felt kinda weird with his white lens out there. The biggest he's ever made was maybe 11"x14" (?) I think...<br /> NO aspirations of selling prints, but he was just starting to really get into it, waking up before sunrise for some "golden" minute or hour or time or something. I'd rather stay in a warm bed...Toward the end, he did however have several/many friends ask for his shots to download and print on their own.<br /> blahblahblah...Anyways, thanks for your suggestions.<br /> Jennifer.</p>

<p>I agree with the statement that this is a personal choice. Any attempt to ask about lenses, bodies, etc on photonet elicits many different opinions. This is just a reflection that when it comes to gear everyone has different needs/wants.<br>

If you know what gear he had and whether he was happy with it, we would have a better chance of suggesting "best in class" equivalents.</p>

<p>:o) Tommy, he'd be delighted to hear what you had to say...<br>

I've been saving for quite a while...I figure if he can drop what he did on an engagement ring, I could reciprocate with a wedding present.<br>

Price isn't a big object, but like i said...am looking for best bang for the buck. Was planning on at least $5k...and hoping for less than $10k...<br>

I noticed him researching a ton lately, so I started to do some myself. Like I said...probably no prints larger than 12x18"(?)/ 11x14" (?). <br>

Puts emphasis on Boquet?/blurrrrr?</p>

<p>bob k,<br>

What a wonderful thing. Anyway, for what you are suggesting his end uses, not huge prints, the second option 7d + 17-55 + 100 macro L+ 70-200 f2.8is, makes far and away the most sense. Brand new body, excellent image quality, very good auto focus (a 5D Achilles heel), better video (he might not want it now but just wait till he plays with it) better coverage of focal lengths etc etc. </p>

<p>The 70-200 f2.8 IS is more flexible than the f4 version but much heavier, I own the f2.8 and don't have an issue with it but for traveling many prefer the f4.</p>

<p>The 50 f1.4 is a great little lens too and would be a perfect portrait lens on a 7D.</p>

<p>Hope this helps, Scott.</p>

<p>I don't think its a no brainer to go with a 7D the 5D2 has its advantages and that auto focus issue is exaggerated so often on web forums, yes the 7D is probably better but I would argue most focus issues are pilot error just like the question why is my 50 1.4 is soft wide open. But back to the point, both setups you mention will probably work well but at least for me if your going that high end I would not say take this or that. It can be a very personal choice. Maybe take him shopping and let him pick or make a little gift card that says you get 5K worth of camera gear.<br /> <br /> The 5D2 is better in low light, portraits and you get true focal range while the 7D will have better autofocus and faster frame rate, wireless control just to name a few points. The list is long. As to the 24-70/24-105, 70-200 F4 or 2.8, we could be here all day. Its all good stuff but what is right for some is not right for others. I would not let some random person on a forum pick for you.</p>

<p>Again thank you for all your replies...but getting back to the original question...not about me, but rather about you guys...</p>

<p>"Assuming you shoot a wide array of subjects from landscape all the way to sports and portraits, what would your "best bang for the buck" set up be? Body? zooms? primes?"<br>

Jenn~</p>

<p>Me:</p>

<p>7D, 70-200/4L IS, 100/2.8 Macro L IS, 50/1.4<br>

I'm sure of.</p>

<p>(Currently use a 50D plus those lenses except the Macro which is very, very high on my wishlist.)</p>

<p>After that it gets complicated.</p>

<p>Probably a 500D + 50/1.8 for fun.<br>

(I love my 400D & 50/1.8 combo. It's so much fun in such a small package.)</p>

<p>Wide zoom I'm not so sure of. Maybe an 15-85/IS. (Other contenders 17-40L for it's colors, contrast, MFD, operation and build quility or the 17-55/2.8/IS because G. Dan always says one should have it when using a crop camera...)</p>

<p>Very long: I'd guess a 400/5.6 L and a 500/4 IS.</p>

<p>Tommy,</p>

<p>Low light performance and depth of field are both directly related to enlargement size. Crank the

ISO and be heavy-handed with the noise reduction, and the 7D will <em>still</em> make great,

clean, sharp prints at the sizes desktop printers print at. Similarly, being a few millimeters off focus

won’t be visible at that those sizes, and the differences in depth of field won’t be

noticeable, either.</p>

<p>But at 24″ × 36″, assuming good glass and good technique, the 5DII

<em>will</em> be the clear winner (though the 7D will still be quite good).</p>

<p>So, unless one plans on regularly printing on a large format printer, there really isn’t any

compelling reason to get the 5DII over the 7D. Similarly, unless one plans on regularly making door-sized prints, there’s no reason to go to medium format over 135, or to large format unless

you’re making prints the size of barn doors. (And, of course, by “prints,” I

mean something you’ll be viewing from a few inches away.)</p>

<p>That’s not to say that the larger formats are a <em>bad</em> choice. For example, they offer much more room for cropping, and many prefer the ergonomics. And there’re those who, though they rarely print large, want the option to do so for the rare special print that deserves it. But, generally, there’s no real-world advantage to shooting with a camera larger than APS-C for the overwhelming majority of photographers.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Ben If you shoot a 40D at 3200 and a 5d2 at 3200 the 5d2 will have cleaner results. Is that not better low light performance? You will also get better or more background blur at the same focal length due to the larger sensor. Again if I am wrong please explain, in real work shooting it seems to be the case.<br>

<br /> That being said, I don't doubt that both cameras are very capable just very different but If I had a choice I would personally take, as I did, the 5D2 since its better for portraits and in low light. I really don't need the super fast frame rate, I used to turn my 40D down to 3 fps so the 5D2 suits me just fine in that area.<br>

<br /> Back to the OP. My ideal setup is a 5d2 with a 24-105 ( great deal if you get the kit ) with a 50 or 85 prime and a 70-200 2.8 with a 580 EX2. I also have a 270 flash that I love for travel or in my small setup which is usually just a small prime or 2 along with the 270 flash.<br>

<br /> A 7D with a 17-55 2.8 would also be a great setup along with a 70-200 and a 28, 35 or 50mm prime.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You could have him put together a <em>Wish List</em> on the B&H website. That way there is no guessing (or embarrassment)! The 5DII + 50mm f/1.4 makes a <em>great</em> statement, as well as being an excellent base to build upon. But, as some have already said, there's nothing wrong with the 7D either, it just hasn't established itself widely yet. Good Luck!</p>

<p>I agree with the two responses above. Wish list at B+H then buy it for him. Then the surprise is when he gets it. That way he gets exactly what he wants (good communication is the key to a good marriage)</p>

<p>The second option I support is get him a 5DII, and a 70-200mm 2.8IS. Then if there is more budget he can buy additional lenses. This gives him the best in class lens and a great body. This give you something to give him and he also has the ability to pick out additional lenses/flash.</p>

<p>Tommy,</p>

<p>I’m not suggesting that the 5DII won’t give better results. I <em>am</em>

suggesting that, <em>on an 8″ × 10″ print,</em> you won’t be able to tell

the difference. Sure, there’ll be more noise from the 7D than the 5DII, but it’ll be so minimal and so fine-grained — <em>at that print size</em> — that the difference is negligible.</p>

<p>You have to use a printer larger than what will fit on a desktop to be able to tell the difference.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>