If they are not already there, how to make postcards of your images

Making "postcards" from your images

As a documentary photographer in my profession, some of my images have, in the words of my daughter (a trained photographer at one of the Art Institutes), been characterized as "kinda postacardy, Dad". I am well aware that this assessment is not limited to my immediate family, but so it goes.:oops:

Most of my family are artists of one sort or another (painters, photographers, singers, theatrical directors and producers, etc.). I am the one member of the family who is a "critic".

So here are some tips for the "postcardy" amongst us.

Here is a street scene in San Juan, PR

SAN-JUAN-06_114b.jpg.489ea102f3f011b27d8fbd2ccfcbafe3.jpg

Here it is Photoshopped into a post card.

First turn up saturation to "11".

Then pound the hell out of the image in PS, as needed.

Then use "Texturizer" in Photoshop to add the 'fabric impressions' used on many old postcards.

Perhaps add lettering or other postcard characteristics and voila!

1514827396_PostCardStreetPhoto2.jpg.6a17c77ef60a3c04941caf220962d1ae.jpg

For lagniappe, here is an early 20th century post card image for the back side. If you want hard copy, print on thin cardboard.

Post-card-back-5o.jpg.5c51c13bde59d9faf58f9f38e246c4cb.jpg

You can use something similar to do other kinds of cards.

Pete-Gray-card.jpg.210999e6cd44b1ed0be985ec5f9f044f.jpg

Please, this is intended as "vat vee call a choke". :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Fascinating, @JDMvW! I would love to see any other examples you have or links to similar 'postacardy 'images.

On a personal note, I think that you are truly blessed with a family of artists of one sort or another (painters, photographers, singers, theatrical directors, producers, etc.). FWIW, I have two daughters, one of which attended a school with integrated dance and drama classes from grades 6 to 17 and is now a nurse My other daughter attended a school with integrated dance classes between grades 5 and 17 and went on to get a bachelor's degree in dance, drama and vocals. She's now a freelance dancer, actress and presenter.

I'm delighted (and proud) of what they've both achieved. But I'm truly grateful for the 'artistic' school environments in which they were able to develop as individuals. No competition, no put-downs, no bullying, just cooperation and encouragement and support for each other.

• Like 1

Back in the large negative, roll-film, folding camera days there were cameras that were specifically for making postcards. Kodak made some. The non-medium side of the paper had postcard printing like the one I showed (but not that specific one).

Somewhere, perhaps in the room "whose name shall not be mentioned," I have some family mailed images, but...

Eastman Kodak Company

I suppose you can glue it on heavier stock paper or cardboard or print on heavier stock if your printer allows this. DIfferent than emailing your vacation picture.

Walgreens does postcards. They're local around the country so you can run in and make them up on the spot and then mail them.

Postcards | Walgreens Photo

What was the question from the OP that you are 'trying' to address?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

The OP didn't ask a question rather starting a conversation about postcard photos.

Exactly. The first question that landed here that wasn't answered (I wonder why) was from you.

I added to that conversation. Do you have anything to add?

I did; asking why are you going OT?

Maybe to get back OT for those that can DIY:

Best postcard design software | Adobe

Tips for printing your photos as greeting cards

60lb. Pecos River Gloss Greeting Cards

Edited by digitaldog

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Since I no longer have a home printer, discovering that Walgreens does postcards is really positive. I think I'll run off and order a couple of them. Then mail them out. Should be fun and a great conversation piece with friends and relatives. Who gets postcards in the mail anymore? Reminds me when I went camping as a kid when I was seven for three weeks. My parents gave me 21 pre-stamped and addressed postcards so I could let them know I was alive once a day. I think I came home with around 8. :)

Record all the steps to do so with “action” key. I have one set up for horizontal and one vertical. This way, you can choose a batch, and voila, the images are set up for printing. I set mine up for 5.25 doubled x 6.75, print on 13x19. Once cut and folded, they fit in a 5x7 envelope. It’s not a money maker, so I consider it advertising.

• 3 weeks later...
Back in the large negative, roll-film, folding camera days there were cameras that were specifically for making postcards. Kodak made some. The non-medium side of the paper had postcard printing like the one I showed (but not that specific one).

(snip)

As well as I know, 122 film is close to postcard sized.

I think I have some of that paper, that I got along with some other old photographic supplies.

Some of the other old paper that I got works much better than some (almost) new paper.

I believe it is contact print speed, so might be slow for enlarging, but could still work.

Someday ...

-- glen