If Canon could make one lens that they don't offer now, what would it be?

photohns

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM. I don't need it but it will surely elimate future posts of " 24-105 f/4L IS vs. 24-70 f/2.8L" that we constantly see popping up.

For myself, it has to be EF 400mm f/5.6L IS USM. I like the lightweight/small size of this lens, I can handhold it all day long and with a 1.6x body this lens becomes 640 so IS would make it even sexier.

For me its an easy choice. Forget all those exotic zooms, lets have an affordable standard lens for 1.6 crop that is sharp across the frame. Something that is not too fast and heavy, and not just sharp in the centre. A brand new 30mm f2 would be ideal. Failing that, a 28/1.8 mark II that is up to the standards of other Canon primes like the 85/1.8.

A Mark II of the EF-S 17-85mm IS that corrected its optical warts (barrel distortion, CA) while maintaining functionality. Better still, a EF version of the same lens that would also fit on FF bodies as well as crop (it would serve for a ultrawide to portrait lens on the 5D, say.).

I've been looking wistfully at the Nikon 16-85 VR wondering why Canon can't upgrade the 17-85 IS the way they did

such a fine job replacing the 75-300 IS with the 70-300 IS (non-DO). It's so frustrating to see them update the 1.2 and

1.4 lenses and charge huge sums for them while putting out cheap plastic crap for budget concious amatuers.

"Let them eat cake" comes to mind.