IDVD

marc_morris

<p>Hi Fellow photographers,<br>

I am looking for a new software to make slideshow . I used IDVD on my old computer.<br>

This was not included on my new Imac.<br>

I am thinking of a high res slideshow with some nice effects , also able to add music .<br>

<br />Must be mac compatible .</p>

<p>Many thanks,</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>iDVD is gone, Steve Jobs decided that since he won't be making anymore DVDs you shouldn't either. You can use DVD Creator or Toast to burn DVDs.<br>

<br />As far as making the slideshow, check out Photo to Movie for an inexpensive but still fairly comprehensive solution or you could use a video editing program like Final Cut Pro or Premiere. iPhoto and iMovie could also be used but the controls are limited.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, ProShow Gold/Producer is Windows-only. I read a similar thread here where someone recommended FotoMagico4 for OS X from Boinx Software. Nice, clean interface, and has both a storyboard, and a timeline interface. I especially like how it opens Aperture and iTunes libraries (for laying down quick music tracks in the timeline), directly from within its own file manager interface (it will open both iPhoto and Lightroom libraries directly as well). You can also mark sync points on playback by hitting the 'M' key, or adjust these points manually in the timeline using the displayed audio waveform as a guide.</p>

<p>It is a little buggy however--on the first slideshow I created, FotoMagico unceremoniously just up and quit--I lost the entire slideshow (it wasn't much of a loss, as I was just experimenting). This was on the latest version of Mountain Lion, on a quad-core i7 Mac, with 16GB of RAM. It's fun and easy-to-use, but buy at your own risk ($100 USD).</p>

<p>Rich said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . Also, there's FotoMagico and PulpMotion that are made for slideshows . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah, maybe I heard about it from Rich. Too bad I didn't check out the Aquafadas product, Pulp Motion, first, since they're also publishers of one of the most acclaimed professional InDesign-based e-book tools used in the industry. PulpMotion looks pretty slick, and like FotoMagico, also has the ability to open iPhoto, Aperture, and Lightroom libraries directly (but, apparently, not iTunes).<br>

<br>

PulpMotion also appears to have some very sophisticated transition editors, and all-around looks to be a solid app with lots of features. One feature I couldn't find (which it may have, but I just couldn't find it on their website), which FotoMagico has, is the ability to adjust individual leading and kerning (not just tracking) on superimposed type. But aside from that, PulpMotion may be the more capable app (and hopefully, the more stable one as well).</p>

<p>I said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>PulpMotion . . . has the ability to open iPhoto, Aperture, and Lightroom libraries directly (but, apparently, not iTunes).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apparently, PulpMotion <em>can</em> open files directly from iTunes or GarageBand libraries (download demo to confirm). However, there's another caveat: an early 2013 review mentioned several forced quits by the application. Apparently, PulpMotion is also somewhat unstable.</p>

<p>I just tried the PulpMotion demo--meh. It's a prettier on the website. On my desktop, it's . . . meh. It's got a lot of powerful pre-built animations, but I could find no type control anywhere in the help, or in the Aquafadas user forums. It does come with a a few dozen pre-built background/animation templates, some of which look pretty slick (a few do look a bit cheesy, though). I didn't try to build any custom animations myself, but if the templates are any indication of the app's custom animation capability, it seems like it can do some pretty cool AfterEffects-like stuff.</p>

<p>However, without precise type control (e.g., kerning, leading), any presentations which include type will look amateurish--this is always a deal-breaker for me in applications like this. But, if type isn't that important to you, download the trial and give it a go. FotoMagico isn't perfect either (e.g., lack of keyboard shortcuts--how hard is that to code?), but it's got a nice interface, and has good typographical control. Note that FotoMagico doesn't have anywhere near the amount of transitions or pre-built themes that the Aquafadas' product has, but I found FotoMagico to be more intuitive, and a lot easier to use. I'm happy I chose FotoMagico over PulpMotion.</p>

<p>Whichever one you choose, I would recommend buying it from the App Store (I bought my copy of FotoMagico there--PulpMotion is also sold there). This makes installing on multiple computers (which both apps allow) a breeze.</p>

<p>After exploring the PulpMotion user manual a bit, the application does have some unique features worth considering (which FotoMagica lacks). Of particular interest is its "zones of interest" feature. You can create 3D-like "photo panels" complete with "reflections" (see user manual for illustrated example). This is something that you would normally have to do in something like AfterEffects, then insert into Final Cut Pro (FCP). Another interesting feature is its "media layouts." Again, if you don't care about type, PulpMotion does have some powerful features.</p>

<p>If you are just looking to make simple slide shows that are set to music with dissolves and such, iPhoto should already be on your Mac. That is all I ever use for wedding slide shows as I don't do many effects and tricks ... preferring to let the images speak for themselves. If you double click any iPhoto image, it opens in Photoshop for additional retouching. </p>

<p>Very simple interface, and music is sourced from your iTunes library for private use, or anything you may have purchased rights to.</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>