Identify 4x5 equipment?

joe_monahan2

<p>I won this auction (Omega 4x5), but wondering about some of the equipment that will ship with the camera. I see roll film holders but can't tell if they are for the 4x5? And if so are they 120 size roll film holders?<br>

Are the tubes with lenses at one end for focusing? Do they replace the black sheet one might otherwise cover their head with in order to better focus?<br>

Finally, I know there is at least 1 company producing polaroid film, but I assume I probably won't find film for the polaroid film back?<br>

Joe</p>

<div>00cD1X-543950384.jpg.0d7a25ac0869822f4da4961b8eb8aa5f.jpg</div>

<p>The roll holder is for the Mamiya Press system, fits no other MF camera. As mentioned already, takes 120 film. As not mentioned, if it has the masks it can be used to shoot 6x45, 6x6, and 6x7. There's a box that says it holds a roll slider that will allow mounting it on the Omega view camera.</p>

<p>The square pyramid with a lens at the small end is an in-line viewing hood for a view camera, might (great stress might) to the rear of the Omega's focusing panel.</p>

<p>So it looks like some useful equipment. I hope the bellows are OK.<br>

If I understand: the roll film holder will (maybe) fit the 4x5 with the adapters included. And the Polaroid back should allow me to shoot Fuji B&W Instant Film? Is this 4x5 film? How is the quality compared to a printed contact print?</p>

<p>Assuming the adapter is for Mamiya Universal backs and not RB/RZ 6x7 then the Mamiya film back should fit. Incidentally, there should be marks for 6x7 and 6x9 on the ground glass for framing with this back.<br>

The Fuji Instant Film that is readily available is 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 pack film, not the full 4x5. As for quality, it isn't equal to a good large format contact print but it can be quite good since you will be using a much better lens than most Polaroid cameras ever came with.</p>

<p>The primary professional use of instant film with view cameras was proofing electronic flash lighting setups. (Nowadays a digital camera is likely to be used for that.)<br>

With the exception of Type 52 P/N film, Polaroid film wasn't really a way to make a high-resolution picture.</p>

<p>If you do want to shoot the Fuji B&W, it's iso 3000 (ish) and was just announced as being discontinued, so buy a bunch now if you want it. They are continuing to make the color instant film as far as is known. Neither is quite as good as a contact print, but they are useful to see if you have your general process and shot down. Most of the possible screwups are still doable with them and you can get them out of your system before using film.</p>