Identifiying Lense Mounts

<p>I recently acquired some lenses off ebay, at the advice of my mother, but am having trouble determining which ones are which. I have tested 9 of the 20, and have taken pictures of the 11 I haven't been able to identify. (http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=7084563).<br /> Really, what I want to know is if there are adapters for them. I know one is an interchangeable bayonet, but don't know where to find that plate.<br /> I have a Canon Rebel 2000 SLR and a Canon Rebel XS DSLR. I have two mount adapters already, a Fotodiox M42-EOS V.2 and a Fotodiox Nikon-EOS, just want to know what else to buy.<br /> Here's a list of all the ones I bought.<br /> <em>For Vivitar TX Interchangeable Bayonet Mount:</em></p>

<ul>

<li><em>Auto Vivitar Tele-Zoom 90-230mm F4.5 Lens - </em>Lens K</li>

</ul>

<p>For Minolta MD Bayonet Mount:</p>

<ul>

<li>Prospec Zoom 70-210mm F4-5.6 Lens</li>

<li>Albinar ADG MC Macro Zoom 80-200mm F3.9 Lens</li>

<li>Auto Vivitar Tele-Zoom 85-205mm F3.8 Lens</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>For Pentax M42 Screw Mount:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Soligor 450mm F8 Lens</strong></li>

<li><strong>Super Cosina 80-200mm F4.5-5.6 Lens - </strong>I know I have tested these</li>

</ul>

<p><br />For Pentax K Bayonet Mount:</p>

<ul>

<li>Samyang MC Auto Zoom 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Lens</li>

<li>Kiron Kino Precision MC Macro Zoom 35-135mm F4 Lens</li>

<li>Sears Multicoated Auto Zoom 80-200mm F4 Lens</li>

<li>Rokinon MC Macro Auto Zoom 80-200mm F4.5 Lens</li>

<li>Sakar MC Zoom 80-200mm F4.5 Lens</li>

</ul>

<p>For Canon FD Bayonet Mount:</p>

<ul>

<li>Vivitar SMS MC Macro Focusing Zoom 28-85mm F3.5-4.5 Lens</li>

<li>Kiron Kino Precision MC Macro 70-210mm F4 Lens</li>

<li>Canon Zoom Lens FD 70-210mm F4 Lens</li>

<li>Focal MC Auto Zoom 80-200mm F3.5 Lens</li>

<li>CPC Phase 2 CCT MC Auto Zoom 80-200mm F4.5 Lens</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>For For Nikon Bayonet Mount:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Aetna Rokunar Auto Zoom 70-210mm F4 Lens</strong></li>

<li><strong>Rokinon Auto Zoom Super Coated 80-200mm F4.5 Lens</strong></li>

<li><strong>Star-D C Auto Zoom 80-205mm F4.5 Lens</strong></li>

<li><strong>Phoenix AF Zoom 100-300mm F5.6-6.7 Lens - </strong>I have tested these, I believe...I am not sure.</li>

</ul>

<p>So as you can see, I have tested Nine but can only identify bout 6 of them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you know which lens it is, please let me know the Lens letter and which one it pertains to.<br /> And any advice about what adapters I should buy would be appreciated. Thanks a million.</p>

<p>rick olesons lend mount identification guide<br>

http://members.tripod.com/rick_oleson/index-99.html</p>

<p>nice clear pictures<br>

in there are other :" interchangable mounts"<br>

if you have a canon rebel. the options are limited.<br>

canon fd/fl requires an adapter with an optical element<br>

so the lenses can be used on newer eos cameras.<br>

the aetna rokunar lens counld be a YS mount with unscrews like a T adapter.<br>

but has auto diaphram. it is a faitly rare system.<br>

The lens, if it is that type, can be used as a manual lens on most any camera.<br>

The other lenses, that can be cucessfully adapted to you eos. will also me used manually,<br>

this will give you other focal lengths, but use will be somewhat awkaward</p>

<p>AT least with the lens mount ID guide you will know whach camera they will fit.<br>

I would consider purchasing an inexpensive film slr.<br>

and selling the others.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Samantha, what is the purpose of all this? Most of these lenses are third party telephoto zooms, covering very similar ranges and dating from (I guess) the 1970's and 1980's. They were probably just about OK at the time but the image quality won't be great, even if they are in good condition with no fungus etc. Unless you are doing some kind of research project on old zoom lenses I can't see where you are going with it. I would keep the Canon 70-210 F4 which is probably the best of the bunch, and try and get hold of a nice Canon manual focus film body to use with it.<br>

Just my opinion, feel free to ignore!</p>

<p>RE: John<br>

I don't have very much money to spend on newer lenses, so overall its much cheaper for me to go old and get adapters. The ones I have tested, I did so on my DSLR, and they worked great. Yeah I have to manually do the aperture, but I don't mind to have some decent lenses.<br>

I have figured out what lenses go with what, thank you Michael, that version of the the blog post seemed better then the others.<br>

Thanks for everyone's advice</p>

<p>Samantha, I'm going to agree with John. As much as it isn't fun to hear, you didn't make the most prudent purchase. Everyone wants to save money, but you have to be careful and do it right. There are many old lenses that just aren't worth paying for, and there is a reason that it was sold to you in that bunch. That collection of lenses that you picked up, to put it mildly, look like the reject pile of a lens hoarder. You are not the first one to realize that you can adapt third-party lenses to your camera. Many people spend their weekends going to local garage sales and buying camera collections that people have in their garages, either that they haven't used in a long time, or that their parents passed down to them many years ago. They pack up the reject lenses that aren't worth anything and/or are optically deficient, and they sell them in bundles like you just bought. As a general rule, mainly primes from that era are really worth adapting. Zoom lenses from yesteryear weren't anything astounding. Plus, since your EOS cameras have such a large register distance, many of those lenses aren't worth adapting, as you either lose focus past a few feet, or you have to buy an optically-correcting adapter that is both expensive, and degrades the image even further. In the future, consider coming here BEFORE making your purchase, instead of afterwards. There are many budget EOS lenses that will give you great results, certainly superior to those lenses that you mention. For example, I used to own an EOS camera with a 35-105mm and a 50mm f/1.8. Both are worth next to nothing today, but image quality wise, they are just fine lenses. Those two lenses, plus a new 75-300mm, would give you autofocus, auto metering, and respectable enough image quality.</p>

<p>Do you have any other lenses right now, that natively mount on your EOS cameras? From the kit that you bought, most of those lenses are redundant or don't fit on your camera. Minolta MD and Canon FD are too much work to adapt, because of that register distance. Pentax K lenses will adapt readily, but you don't have anything worth adapting, except maybe the Kino. But, as I mentioned, you can just buy an EOS lens like the 28-105mm and have identical or superior performance, plus autofocus and not spending any money on adapters. From the lenses that you've already tested, I'd keep the M42 450mm lens, if its performance is any good, and the Nikon Aetna lens, unless the Rokinon or Star-D have noticeably better performance than it. Get rid of the rest by selling them off. Lucky for you, Nikon mount and Pentax K mount lenses sell easily enough, since the current DSLRs still mount them.</p>

<p>RE Ariel<br>

Thank you so much for the in depth look at the lenses I bought. I only paid bout $30 on the whole lot, so I don't feel like I lost much, even if I only keep one or two.<br>

I do have a native lens from the XS kit, but unfortunately my rebel 2000 one got stolen last year, as well as my tele-macro lens, which I am still trying to replace. Out of the ones I have tested, I didn't feel like I lost much image quality, but I still need to take a closer look at the test images.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Samantha, zoom lenses of the vintage you are looking at were often weak performers by modern standards. They were also often weak performers compared to prime focus lenses of the same period - i.e. lenses with just a single focal length such as a 50mm lens or a 35mm lens or a 150mm lens or whatever. So I suggest if you want to use older lenses (nothiung wrong with that) then I suggest you try older and cheaper primes rather than older and cheaper zooms.</p>

<p>Samantha,</p>

<p>Let's take the lenses one mount at a time. I am assuming the lenses work and are clean.</p>

<p><em>Auto Vivitar Tele-Zoom 90-230mm F4.5 Lens - </em>Lens K I am wondering if this is the same as the Pentax K mount. I would compare it with the lenses you have. You can buy TX adapters on Ebay.</p>

<p>Minolta MD. For an EOS to Minolta MD adapter you will need an adapter with a lens element. This will affect the quality. The Vivitar 80-205 should be the best of the bunch.</p>

<p>Pentax M42. As you know these will work fine.</p>

<p>Pentax K mount. You can get an adapter for EOS to Pentax K mount. The Kiron 35-135mm is the only one that looks interesting.</p>

<p>Canon FD. An EOS to Canon FD mount adapter requires a lens element which will affect quality. The Vivitar, Kiron, and Canon zoom lenses are all good. I would check them out and sell them on Ebay. You can easily get you money back.</p>

<p>Nikon F mount. You can see that they all work fine with your adapter. Unfortunately none are top quality lenses.</p>

<p>I don't know if I would invest in more adapters. I like Colin's idea of investing in prime lenses. The M42 mount would be the most cost effective. You also could look to Nikon's huge selection of lenses but they would be more costly.</p>

<p>For even the off brand lenses you can get 10-20 dollars on Ebay as long as they work and are clean.</p>

• 5 years later...

Welcome, James.

I can definitively say "not Nikon F or Canon EF" (I've shot with both), but that's probably not all that helpful.

Less definitively, because I don't own a camera to compare it with, I think that red "PK" is a clue - it looks like Pentax K-mount, from what Wikipedia tells me.

If nobody posts more definitively on this thread, I'd try the Pentax gear forum and ask if it looks familiar.

I hope that's a start, until someone more educated can chime in! Good luck.

It's definitely a third-party variant of the original Pentax K mount. Just be very careful if you plan to mount this on a Pentax DSLR. Make sure that the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever (at 3 o'clock of the image of the lens mount) is not too big for the DSLR.

Read the section of this article: go to "Third Party Variants of the K-mount"

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Edited by photo_galleries