ideas on mounting an industar 300mm f/4.5

marlon_kuzmick

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

apologies in advance if this has been asked on the forum already---I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.</p>

<p>Has anyone ever mounted one of these Soviet Industar 37's? It's a 300mm f/4.5 (and it's HUGE). Does anyone know the size of the threads on the back? Do they fit any specific size of shutter or flange?</p>

<p>Has anyone managed to attach one of these things to a lens board? If so, how did you do it?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help in advance--you all are immensely knowledgeable--I don't know what people did before the internets were here to help us out!</p>

<p>best,<br>

MK</p>

<p>Maybe a machine shop or gunsmith can help determine the dimensions...even make up a ring for it.</p>

<p>Now this may not be too helpful, but...Generally speaking, there are only three types of mounting flange or ring: Too large, too small, and wrong pitch thread!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>OK, go ahead and whip me, beat me, whatever - I deserve it. I could have answered your question a week and a half ago, but was "too busy" to go dig out the I-37 from the pile of Soviet junk.</p>

<p>The 300mm Industar-37 uses a metric mounting flange designated M80-0.75. That's an 80mm hole, with the thread pitch being 0.75mm. In Yankee terms, that's 3.146" (79.91mm) for the threads on the barrel (Major Diameter), and about 3.126" (79.40mm) for the threads on the flange (Minor Diameter). A pitch of M0.75 equals pretty close to 34 TPI.</p>

<p>If you're planning to use a Packard shutter, be aware that the back end of the I-37 sticks out a full inch beyond the front surface of the flange, and will interfere with the shutter unless you can separate them.</p>

<p>Also, the Soviet designers, answering to different manufacturing goals than you would wish, set the rear cell directly into the barrel, i.e., you cannot unscrew it. The same situation applies to the 210mm I-51 (flange: M60x0.75), but not (fortunately for those of us who use big cameras) the 450mm I-11M (flange: M71x1.00). If you want to mount the I-37 into a shutter, you'll have to mount the rear elements into a cell of your own manufacture.</p>

<p>Any other questions?</p>

<p>Charley</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I know this is not any help mounting the lens, but if you keep your eye on the bay you can find eventually find one. As far as the shutter is concerned, that has been solved without damaging your camera with a packard. Take a look at this configuration of a slip on shutter for the Industar lens. It is a gravity driven shutter with speeds from one quarter to five hundred.</p><div>00TSC6-137459584.jpg.99c8c2db1c705e68725e568dd612c68a.jpg</div>

• 8 years later...
I have a question since you seem to be an Industar fountain of info. Any idea what hole size I need for the 11m which is a

process version of the 37? I ordered one and I need to send hole size to my board maker.

On a thread this old, to have any luck at all you need to highlight something in the post the person made, and click reply. There is a chance the person is still on board, quoting will alert them. Best of luck with it!

Bill, be patient. You can measure the lens when it arrives.

If you can't be patient, ask y'r question on Large Format Photography Forum You're much more likely to find someone who can help you there than here.

The I-37 is a copy of a 300/4.5 CZJ Tessar. The I-11m (all of them, there are many focal lengths) are copies of CZJ Apo-Tessars. Apo-Tessars aren't versions of jes' plain Tessars, they're new computations. Apochromatic, low distortion, low coverage, ...