Ideas for New England Photo Shoots?

photojen

<p>My buddies are visiting me here in Connecticut from Indiana in less than a month (members here William and Kara Brothers)...We have a lot in common, but as far as what we are into for photography we vary. I like bugs and flowers and waterfalls and stuff... They like abandoned things, interesting people and such. Though we do both like seascape-type shots...</p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone has a location suggestion(s) in the NE/Lower NY State area (preferably with in a 100-200 mile radius of the Hartford, CT area) that would be of interest to my friends...anything unique, abandoned or creepy or just wicked cool. I have no idea where to start looking for locations of interest to my friends, because I don't shoot places like this myself.</p>

<p>Thanks for ANY input and have a good one.</p>

<p>Waterfall--Kent Falls State Park (Western CT)<br />Flowers--Tower Hill Botanical Garden in Boyleston MA<br />Butterflies--there is a place near the main Yankee Candle Factory store in Deerfield MA(recommended to me, but I've never actually been there)<br />CT Shoreline<br />Mystic Seaport--Abbotts is a somewhat tricky 15 minutes away--in case anyone likes fresh clams or lobster<br />Bluff Point State park has a 4 mile hiking trail along "undeveloped" land--been over 10 years since I've done it. <br />Hammonassett Beach/Meigs Point/Willard Island--lots of shoreline birds once the crowds go away. Lenny & Joes is a block away in case someone wants fresh seafood<br />CT Audubon society in Milford CT--great birding spot--next to a salt marsh, beach for birds, and Stuart B. McKinney NWR</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Zack, Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory is amazing. One of my favorites places to shoot. Well worth the trip. I shoot there in the winter, when I need my 'bug fix'. I have been to almost every place you have mentioned :) One of my other faves is Kent State Park and the Saville Dam.</p>

<p>Lenny and Joe's? Sooo delicious.</p>

<p>I lived in the north Boston area for a while, and I have to say that you can pretty much drive out of the cities (and there's plenty to photograph IN the cities too), and find great stuff to shoot. I mean, Indiana is a lot nicer than people give it credit for, but you're going to have visitors in the fall in New England, and you don't know what to show them? (hint: think trees and foliage).</p>

<p>I know, I know...fall is my favorite season...just looking for something different. We will spend a few days at my cabin in Vermont (thinking trees and foilage)...and then hit the Ren Faire in CT...a friend of mine is working on getting us into the old Remington Factory in CT...they want to shoot the Boston skyline at night...</p>

<p>Wish I didn't find your post Jennifer. ;)<br>

I was born and raised in Conn. Sniff-Sniff</p>

<p>Other than the best foliage in the world, I would suggest any of the following seashore towns along I-95.</p>

<p>Guilford, (My Fav) ;)...Madison, Saybrook, Old Saybrook.<br>

You have incredible seafaring themes to shoot, really old.<br>

A trip to New Haven will provide some great architectural shoots if you like that.<br>

Yale University comes to mind.<br>

All these towns are just a few miles off I-95. They are steeped in history and tradition AND off the beaten path where most tourists never bother to look.</p>

<p>Ya got me thinking now; so if you see some guy with 2 cameras attached to his body, moving in some really odd positions; ya..That's me, looking for "The Shot" ;)</p>

<p>Gravestones of colonials born in the fifteen hundreds (amazing, such markers of that period have all been lost in my part of Quebec), on that heritage trail in Boston, plus some of the older buildings on the trail. The market is fun for people shots, Beacon hill for the rather austere and polite architecture (an "urban" Deerfield), cobblestone street patterns and lighting of the streets from low sun position.</p>

<p>North and west of Hartford:<br>

1) Forest Park in Springfield (park, gardens, small zoo)<br>

2) Smith College Botanic Gardens<br>

3) Stanley Park in Westfield, MA<br>

4) Berkshires in western MA<br>

5) Quabbin Reservoir area<br>

6) Southwick Animal Park (http://www.southwickszoo.com/homePage.html#)<br>

7) Sturbridge Village<br>

8) Mohawk Trail - Rt. 2 in MA - especially the Hairpin Turn in North Adams - see 3 states (drive SLOW and heed warnings - it is a very sharp U-turn down a mountain with a cliff)<br>

9) Rt. 7 and Rt. 8 north CT and MA in western part of the states<br>

10) Northampton and Amherst, MA<br>

11) Hartford Botanical Garden<br>

12) Berkshire Botanical Gardens - Stockbridge, MA<br>

13) Mount Holyoke College Botanical Gardens<br>

14) All along the Connecticut River (CT, MA, Vermont)</p>

<p>I am at Forest Park weekly...<br />Smith College's Tulips Show is awesome...<br />Stanley Park is a favorite, especially the mill...<br />I fish at Quabbin all the time...<br />And that hairpin is crazy, especially on the back of a Harley :)<br />Never been to Walden Pond, though the novel is amazing~ I will have to visit.</p>

<p>You - the one with a house in Vermont and the Red sox fan who goes to Boston, should not need Ideas on this.<br /> Take a ride to your house thru Mass and stop along the way. You know where to go.<br /> When you get to VT you also know to go further North than Dover.<br /> But if you want to take some great photos, I can tell you where to get some tickets to a Yankee game at the new stadium</p>