Ideal digital camera.....for old farts.

<p>What would you want if you could have your perfect digital camera?<br />Being a old fart with mainly film knowledge this would be my wish list camera.<br /><br />A metal body, with a canon FD mount.<br />A dial to set the asa, another dial on top of the body to set the shutter speed. The F-stop would be set by the lens of course. A match need type exposure meter, not coupled in any way.<br />Basically a digital Canon F1........with a full frame chip.<br />I hate menus or any other play things on cameras........just a camera that lets me photograph what I want, how I want it to look. <br />Oh yes a shutter that fires when I push the button, not when the camera decides its right.<br /><br />I dislike plastic cameras with plastic lens.....and one that everything is automatic.<br /> <br />I like to be THE photographer when I photograph.<br /><br />Am I the only one? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Do you want to be able to use different lenses? By specifing 'FD mount', I think you do, but being an old fart, I know that sometimes my presumtions can be very wrong.<br>

As an old fart, how much weight do you want to pack?<br>

Most dslr's allow manual mode setting of aperture and shutter speed. Few (if any??) come without a meter.<br>

Why are you so sure of wanting full frame chip? And what frame do you want the chip to fully fill?<br>

If you hate menus, get over it. You won't find any digital cameras without any menus. By use of menus you can, for example, configure a camere to operate: in manual mode where you set both Fstop and shutter speed, shutter response when you push the button, etc. <br>

I have 2 nikons, and both are configurable to trip the shutter when button is pressed, I expect most cameras do, although you would be hard pressed any one person who knows the answer for all cameras.<br>

Not a canon user myself, but I believe FD mount is discontinued??<br>

Whether or not you "are the only one" is irrelevent. There probably aren't any cameras conforming exactly to your specs; examining and exploring options, combined with an openess to continued learning, can enable you make rational choices. </p>

<p>Gee Russ, I saw that catchy title</p>

<blockquote>

<h1 >Ideal digital camera.....for old farts.</h1>

</blockquote>

<p>...and sure enough I think, "This looks interesting, am I an old fart?". Well, regardless if I qualify, lol:<br>

I think it would be fun to have the digital camera with all the old manual controls of the old film cameras. I would go as far as to have that manual f/stop too. Basically a manual film camera with a full frame digital sensor. There would be very little to break. It would probably not be my most used camera, but sure would be one I would play with a lot and who knows, maybe it would be my favorite.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>No Canon FD mount digital. Nikon kept legacy glass on board with some DSLRs that use an Ai tab for metering with manual lenses, making them easy to use like an oldie with either manual or aperture priority mode. Looks like you're SOL with Canon; as for the other requirements, they mostly vanished with Canon's late film SLRs, if not earlier. Closest you'll probably get is using a handheld meter, transferring readings to the camera, and being thankful you've not blown 1/3 of a roll.<br>

Make the jump to a DSLR and shoot it <em>your </em>way. They're more flexible than you think. I'm quite a ways from fartdom and still shoot 35mm and medium format but do find digital less painful and compromising than you're painting it here.</p>

<p>I'd disagree only about the ISO dial. It was clutter on the top of the OM-1 and serves even less functional purpose now. With many digicams it's easy enough to set the ISO if you prefer a fixed ISO. I prefer auto ISO with a user selected range, since many current digicams produce nearly identical results within a flexible range (say, ISO 80-200), while allowing the use of faster shutter speeds to minimize motion blur, or aperture to suit DOF.</p>

<p>There are some digicams with well designed controls that don't rigidly mimic manual film cameras, yet are just as functional in their own right.</p>

<p>Agreeing with Lex. Pick up something like a D300, and notice that you can put yourself in a mode where external physical controls impact aperture and shutter speed, and can - without looking in a menu at all - adjust ISO by holding down one single button and using an external dial. You can also set up the camera to shoot when you push the shutter button regardless of what the camera thinks about your exposure or whether anything's in focus. <br /><br />No needle meter, but an in-finder equivalent, in the form of a bar indicator that shows over/under. <br /><br />Essentially, ignore all of the other very useful features, and give it a try. If you want the same features in a 135 format instead of APS-C, off you go to the D700 or similar. I'm sure there are exact counterparts in the Canon universe ... but you're going to have to give on the FD lens issue.</p>

<p>since there never way and may NEVER BE a camera with an fd mount<br>

besides whet they made 25 years ago. the chances are slim and non.<br>

or bob hope or no hope..<br>

Theoretically, It would be a very nice camera for the OF or in my case VOF.<br>

it is do able. I am ambiguous about the ISO dial. it could go either way.<br>

aomething like the canon t50 or t70 with an add-on would eb a start.<br>

these and earller canon cameras do not have DX coding.<br>

and the electronics could be on the bottom like the winder on the A series.<br>

It would kill sales of many other dslr's<br>

this would mean only a troublemaker company would make and sell one.<br>

I have enough T and A cameras to last me 20 years.<br>

Sign me up./ I will take out a loan.</p>

<p>The reason I said FD mount as these are manual only optics. This could be in any mount of you choice that uses older optics.<br /><br />Non plastic optics....<br />Yes I di think the newer Leicas are probably already doing this.<br /><br />Yes I do want a set asa.......<br />If I pick 400 I want it to stay on 400, period.<br />I do not want the camera to (think) about anything, but to follow my commands.<br />Like my F1 does now..........a old film camera with a full frame sensor.</p>

<p>Gimme the controls of a Nikon F and a film adapter pack. They are now making Hollywood movies on digital media and then backing them up with film 'cause digital is will-o-the-wisp and won't be usable very long.<br>

Digital is very handy but so was Polaroid. How long did THAT last?</p>

<p>Gee, when I set my EOS digital to manual focus on the lens, set to shutter priority, set shutter speed, then it works just like your ideal.</p>

<p>If I am willing to use aperture priority, then I just stick on one of my many Nikon non-AI lenses, set the aperture on the lens, focus manually, and voila!</p>

<p>I may be more of an old sh*t, than an old fart, though.</p>

<p>Right. Every Nikon body I use - from the old film bodies once in a while, to the brand new ones - can be easily set up to do only what and when I want them to. This is very easy.<br /><br />And there are some very good, reasonably priced Nikon DSLRs that will work beautifully with classic metal-and-glass, manual focus lenses. <br /><br />Wayne: the whole "digital won't be usable very long" notion is just wrong. Data can (and regularly is) transformed from one format and/or media to the next - all the time. My images exist in more than one format, stored in perfect copies in multiple geographic locations. Alas, my thousands of negatives are all in one place, and are only a single ugly fire or water event from being lost forever (unless I digitize them!). <br /><br />As a guy who <em>also</em> has a Nikon F, I can assure you I'm much happier with the control available on the newer technology - even when I'm using it all in entirely manual mode.</p>

<p>Russ, have you considered staying with film? There is a Canon FD Forum here at Photo.net, and a number of film-related forums too. My impression is that you probably aren't ready for digital yet. I worked with film from 1969-1999 and gradually made the complete shift from analog to digital. Lately I've been working with a little Fujifilm X10, that reminds me a lot of rangefinder film cameras from the eighties or so in its weight, metal construction, feel, appearance and controls. But its processes are unquestioningly digital. For me some of the nostalgia is satisfied but not all. Unfortunately such a camera would I think, still be too far from what you're asking. (I am 64 years old.)</p>

<p>I would say that modern DSLR cameras (I can speak for the upper end Canons, which are constructed of stainless steel and magnesium alloy) have a lot to offer old farts/fartesses like us. You may like the aperture dial on the lens, but a modern dSLR lets you spin a wheel on the body, and then there's another wheel to spin to set shutter speed. You never have to remove a hand from the body to dial in your exposure! You have the "M" mode that you can set with a dial on top of the camera, and that will prevent the camera from trying to think. Look through the viewfinder, and you have a match needle system.</p>

<p>If you like manual focus lenses, change out the focusing screen for a split prism (not available on all cameras, but on many). Then mount up the appropriate adapter, and use whatever old manual focus lenses your heart desires. The Nikkors and M42 SMC Takumars are my favorites. Oh, and here's a kick for you: You'll be able to set the shutter speed on the camera body and the aperture on the lens! The only caveat is that you'll lose the auto stop-down on the lens. You'll have to focus with the lens wide open, and then stop down to the desired aperture for your exposure, which is no big deal if you're shooting from a tripod.</p>

<p>Having said all of this, I really like modern lenses with modern optical design and auto focus! I use the AF semi-manually, whereby I use a button on the back to lock in focus at the center point, re-frame, and then shoot. I also like the use of reinforced plastics, which greatly lighten the camera. (I'm not as young as I used to be.) But if metal and manual everything are your cup of tea, you can do it splendidly with a modern dSLR.</p>

<p>Man I am 80. I have had all those old cameras at one time or another. I have a Canon 7D, T4i, and a Sony NEX5N. I have never felt too old to move along with the times. I also, horror of horrors, use Lightroom and photoshop. I am not too old to stay up to date. I am also not so mentally lazy that I cannot enjoy learning a new and different camera and a new exciting technology. The payoff. I am making better pictures more consistently than I ever have and I had my own wedding business where I shot film with medium format. Step out on a limb. Be a little adventurous and get something state of the art and learn it. You can operate manually as much as you want once you know how to use a digital camera. I would have been far better off for a number of reasons had I done weddings with todays digital equipment. I like old cars and flew old piston airplanes but if I want to go someplace I'd rather be in a 787. I am a really old fart who doesn't need to step back into the past. My goal is still quality images with the best and newest stuff I can afford.</p>

<p>I can and do shoot with digital cameras........you guys are kinda harsh.<br />I was just thinking out loud, maybe you guys never think?<br /><br />Sorry I bugged some of you so much.<br /><br />Yes I too used to shoot professionally....all Hasselblads.....and have learned to shoot digital. <br />But I do miss simpler cameras. more robust cameras. <br /><br />As I stated this was about what I would like to see in a camera.<br />I guess you guess you guys are happy with the current crop of plastic auto cameras.<br /><br />Most of you missed the point completely, some did not. But most did........I was not asking for help, just stating what I would love in a limited production camera.<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess you guess you guys are happy with the current crop of plastic auto cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If anyone's a little testy, Russ, it's because observations like that ring so false, and suggest that you haven't - despite your assertions - actually worked with a decently made DSLR.</p>

<p>We seem to get thes posts about once every 2 - 3 months: all I want is a really simple, no frills digital camera just like my "fill in the blank" film camera. If what Francisco has referenced regarding a Nikon patent is true, maybe there is a market for a simple digital camera.</p>

<p>I just happen to have a couple of FEs gathering dust. Being the cheap older fart that I am, I'd consider, repeat, consider, spending a couple hundred dollars (at most) for a digital back for one of my FEs. My D300 works so well for me, though, that I don't have a burning need for anything else.</p>