Ideal background material for pets

Discussion in 'Portraits and Fashion' started by corey_narsted, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best material to use as a background/foundation for pet photos? I need something that is both durable (claws tend to be rough on seamless paper) and easy to clean quickly (nervous doggies = mess). I`ve been leaning towards vinyl so far, but was wondering about using seamless as background and white plexiglass sheets as foundation.

2. That plexy will also scratch up pretty quick, and the slippery surface can make the critters more anxious. Linoleum and vinyl seem the most likely, if you can't work in a natural setting or use (washable!) textiles/carpet sections.

3. Shower board is pretty durable and white. Not very easy to transport and slick. I think Matt's recommendation to work on natural surfaces (outdoors) is a good one. I recommend a setting that is familiar to the dog. In fact, that's a good place to start with any species, including humans... t

4. Thanks, I`ll look into the shower board for studio purposes. I agree that ideally natural settings are best (that`s what I`ve been working with so far) but the backdrop is for more of an assembly-line type of shoot (maybe 5 minutes per animal) for a fundraiser idea I have.