I'd like to see where a user is from

Trigger_Happy

Perhaps posters could be persuaded to provide location details with images that might benefit from it - I try to do this myself, in the hopes that other people would be interested to know where the photo was taken. Sometimes this is more relevant than the equipment used, interesting though this can be.
  • Like 1

You can fill in your home location in your personal details page (photo.net/discuss/account/personal-details), and I just have done. I only include the location of where I took a picture if it strikes me as important at the time. Most of my posts here are in 'no words' threads, so text is limited, and I usually keep it to camera, film and developer.

None of my pictures are uploaded at photo.net - I keep them at Flickr, where there's usually more detail and context, if anyone's interested enough to click through.

• Like 1

You can fill in your home location in your personal details page (photo.net/discuss/account/personal-details), and I just have done. I only include the location of where I took a picture if it strikes me as important at the time. Most of my posts here are in 'no words' threads, so text is limited, and I usually keep it to camera, film and developer.

None of my pictures are uploaded at photo.net - I keep them at Flickr, where there's usually more detail and context, if anyone's interested enough to click through.

Ah, now I see it.

Funny thing though; I can't get to that page from my account page. So how did you navigate to it?

Edited by TriggerHappy

Ah, now I see it.

Funny thing though; I can't get to that page from my account page. So how did you navigate to it?

At the top of the page you can see your avatar, directly under that is your name.

Hover your mouse over your name and a drop down menu appears. At the top on the left hand side is 'personal details'.

Click on this :)

Phil Greenspun, remember him?, long ago suggested we attach a location to our name or avatar. I did until it was scrubbed by the latest version of PN. I put it down to a desire for more privacy or secrecy or sensitivity to having personal stuff attached on line. Could be wrong. I am still in Honolulu and glad of it. It puts me in a far time zone from New York and that is useful to know I guess.
  • Like 1

Ken pointed out the menu for "personal details". Once you are there, click on "Custom Title". Users can add a location in that field if they want to, and it would appear under their avatar and name in forum posts.

not everyone has access to their “personal details” although i am sure most people do.

• Like 1

ive been asking this since the upgrades. it is useful because sometimes language gets in the way of a point. understanding their location tells me to be a bit more patient.

in the classifides its important for figuring postage.

if a fellow photographer is having a problem, perhaps if they were local, we could meet.

but to play clickity click, is just frustrating and distracting.

wow personal details, custom title did the trick!

thanks, now spread the word?

Edited by paul ron
  • Like 2
The more you say, the less people listen.

At the top of the page you can see your avatar, directly under that is your name.

Hover your mouse over your name and a drop down menu appears. At the top on the left hand side is 'personal details'.

Click on this :)

Nopes. I don't have this option there. I have: recent activity, my account, my portfolio, my favorites, my account.

note the “Personal Details” option that should be above Signature is missing.

Is it something to do with what you are viewing on? PC, Mac, Ipad, phone...

I've now looked at two different computers, my phone and my tablet. I don't have that option anywhere. However, my platforms are all Windows/Chrome/Android.

I’m certain it is a permissions issue. I’ve never had access to Personal Details apart from a small window when i was granted admin user status (i could edit and delete other users’ comments). during that time i was able to add the Norman T Naffington byline and delete the default avatar but once those elevated permissions were revoked i’ve not been able to edit Personal Details nor change my avatar.

although my avatar and screen name is different on my profile page-

naffy | photo.net

• Like 1

I've now looked at two different computers, my phone and my tablet. I don't have that option anywhere. However, my platforms are all Windows/Chrome/Android.

I'm at a loss then :)

I am logged in as administrator on my laptop. Norman may have a point.

(standard I3 laptop, Windows 7, Firefox)

its not you or anything to do with rights. its the stupid menu system here! i cant seem to get to it today no matter which menu i try going to.

menus differ from pc to tablet and macs. there are menus that dont work like trying to get from the forums to my portfolio.

why they havent standardized menus is baffeling. so many places from area to area. why not global drop downs? sign in needs its own page? stupid!

on my computer, pc xp pro firefox, if i click on my top right avi i get a drop down.

on my tablet, android 5, that only gets me an error message and does nothing unless in in a certain area then it sends me to a settings page but thats rare.

hey guys, ive got $30 in an envelope waiting for you... only if you get this donkey moving.

The more you say, the less people listen.