Iconic designs

Yesterday I was driving my Series III Land Rover (1972 88 inch) with

my Leica MP slung over the centre seat-back cushion, and I

thought, "Here are two really iconic products." Later I remembered I

was wearing Levis 501s at the time.

What other iconic products can be used every day? Another forum

member suggested Ray-Bans, and there are always Rolex watches (I've

never owned either). But it's an interesting thought.

Photographically the only other products I can easily think of are a

Nikon F (preferably with a motor drive), a Minox and a Speed

Graphic. I'm talking about products non-photographers will recognize

too, which lets out (say) Gandolfi or Gitzo.

I've posted this under Leica because I reckoned that Leica

photographers already have one iconic product...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Roger

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photographically speaking:

Rolleiflex TLR. I get far more comments in any country when using my battered old Rollei Automat than I do with my M2. I'm not saying that is a good thing, it is just an observation.

Roger, don't go there. Oop's too late.

Ther is a compendium of books in Costco that list 1000 iconic designs and their history.

Paperclip

Spring clip

Swiss army knife

Wood handled hunting knife

Veg peeler

Chairs by the dozen

Harley Davison

Aga stove

Bic biro ..............................

Photographically, the Icon must be the Rolleiflex which was the item of choice from the

late 20's until the mid-60's. Will a product have such command again?

Weston meter.

Linhof 5x4.

Hasselblad 500's

despite some folks figuring there are a lot more intesting things in life to think about. . . well, i figure that most of us are on here to shoot the breeze and waste a little time. . . those that don't want to waste time on the thread can opt out of it. . . . commenting on it seems like an even bigger waste of time that could have been used to think about things. . . .

that being said (and, look at me, all that time wasted), i think maybe some converse chuck taylors would qualify. . . and, maybe because i'm partial to the bike, any 60s - mid 70s triumph motorcycle. . . .

Everyone, especially Gary: thanks.

I'm not sure that a converse chuck taylor qualifies because I haven't the faintest idea what it is, and I can't be alone in this. Heartily agree about the Triumphs, though.

Perhaps Mitch would be kind enough to tell us exactly what does engage his mighty intellect.

"What is this world, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare."

Cheers,

Roger

Fender Telecaster. Bic biro. Schott Perfecto. Eames Billy Wilder lounger.

Faema E61. VW Beetle. Volvo Amazon. Kalashnikov AK47. Zippo. Fishtail

parka. Heuer Carrera. Lee 101J. Wurlitzer 1015. Belstaff Rallymaster.

Meccano. Apple Macintosh. Macintosh macintosh.

My iconic product for today is a Tiltall tripod.

It's ideal for use with a Leica, and Leica owned the Tiltall company for a time. It is still available new, at $99.95 plus tax in the USA and about GBP 63.00 in the UK (including taxes).

Mine dates from the 1970s, and it is getting a little worn now. So I am just about to order a new one. It's nice to be able to buy an identical iconic product 30 years on.

I suppose I should also add the Leica tabletop tripod to the list. Here is another iconic product that can still be bought, unchanged from 30+ years ago. I would not wish to be without either of these tripods.

What? You think it is heresy to use a Leica on a tripod? Then why did Leica produce the tabletop tripod, purchase the Tiltall company and sell some beautifully engineered ball heads?

Ask yourself, just what is that threaded hole on the baseplate for?

Tony <big grin>

I'm sitting here with a pair of Cons (in that very colour), a Leica M3 and a Telecaster next to me, but I think in this part of the world Doc Marten's, Pentax ME Supers and Strats are far more likely to be household names. How bout the Tiger Moth, Aston DB5, Anglepoise lamp?

My photographic list:

Leica II,

Leica M,

Rolleiflex TLR,

Hasselblad 500 C,

Hasselblad 500 EL,

Olympus OM-1,

Nikon F,

Minox

non-photography items not mentioned yet:

Petromax lanterns

BTW, as an answer to Dan's post: Landrovers ARE fit for daily use as my 22 year old example with 347.000 km on the clock (first engine and gearbox) demonstrates.

Ulrik

Hmm, well there is the Minolta (can't remember which one) that was the first to have practical, internally driven autofocus. I think the OM series and the XA are pretty iconic. Possibly the Nikon F5/F6 as the zenith of 35mm technological development.

As for other icons of design well that is a long list, Roger! Lets see, the 'Mae West' Coke bottle has been about for about seventy years or so and is an excellent example of clean design for the mass market.

The 737 airliners that most people fly on at some point in their lives can trace their lineage back to the design of the Me262. It might not be the most stunning thing to see but it has played a massive role in opening up the world, and like the Series III or MP is relatively simple. I could go on all day I suppose.

I learned to drive in a Series III on an airfield when I was thirteen. Ah the memories. By the time I was fourteen I could throw the thing about like I was in a rally. One thing I am still proud of is getting it going sideways on wet grass and the doors flying open as it slid across the bumps! Oh and the almighty bang when you pull the handbrake at 40 - well how was I to know it acted on the diff?!

All the best,

Jamie H

"I'm not sure that a converse chuck taylor qualifies because I haven't the faintest idea what it

is..."

Yes you do, you're just not familiar with the name. They're the god-awful, flat rubber soled,

canvas upper tennis shoes anybody over the age of 40 grew up wearing. They're an icon best

left to the past, or to those too young to realize that bad footwear can screw up your feet. :-(

My vote for "iconic" goes to the Zippo lighter. I sometimes carry one, and I don't even smoke.