I want to upgrade my equipment

athansios_retzonis

Hi from Greece !

I am an amateur and I want to upgrade my equipment so I need your advice.

The lenses I own are :

Canon 24-105 mm F4 L IS, Canon 70-200mm F4 L (non IS) .

I intend to change the 24-105mm with Canon 28-70mm F2.8 L ( I found one used).

I dont have the money to go for Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS so I am looking for a

prime lens for portraits. I know than the Canon 135mm F2 L is a very good lens

and I can aford the money.

I want your opinion .

I also have the Canon 5D.

Me, too.

Seriously, what you have now is excellent gear, so it's not so much "upgrade", as it is "what's next to let me take photos that I can't do so easily with what I now have?". The 135/2 will be a new capability, no question about it. I have both the 24-105L and 24-70L, so I can't recommend selling one to get the other, unless you really want handheld portability over all of the larger-aperture benefits (or vice-versa).

I would not sell the 24 to 105F4L to buy a used 28 to 70F2.8L.

I would sell the 24 to 105F4L to buy a used 24 to 70F2.8L in excellent condition, that, to me would be an `upgrade`, as you term it.

I would not like to loose 4mm at the wide.

The 135F2 is the ant`s pants: I want one too, for my 5D.

I have tested a 135F2L.

Take 20 frames (sorry, actuations) and you are just gone, it is like fine wine: hooked forever, and IMO 135 is just a perfect FL for portraits (which is a personal opinion as opposed to the factual information about being hooked).

The 85 F1.8 mates well with the 135F2L for portraiture, I have that lens too.

WW

>>> I need a fast portrait lens for indoor . I think that there is a big difference between F4 and F2.8 so thats why i want to upgrade <<<

I am a little confused: the above quote refers to buying the used 28 to 70F2.8L, I assume.

If this is correct then IMO, the f2.8L whilst faster than F4 is still NOT fast enough to accommodate all `portrait lens indoor` shots (assuming no flash or reflectors are to be used).

Certainly, F2.8 will be fast enough for many indoor captures, but not all.

Considering indoors has walls (i.e. a smaller space to work than outdoors):

Lenses for indoor, available light portraiture on a 5D would be: 100mmF2; 85mmF1.8/F1.2L; 50mmF1.4F1.2L; and 35F1.4L.

All these have better speed and, depending upon space you have, will provide a range of wide to tight portraiture.

The 135F2L could be used indoors also, if you have the space.

My previous post regarding the more general `upgrade` question still applies.

WW

If I was looking for a prime to use for portraits, it would either be the EF 135mm f/2L USM or the EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM. Since you have the 5D, I'd probably go for the 200mm. However, I have an affinity for the compression telephoto offers, for portraits.

I am a little confused: the above quote refers to buying the used 28 to 70F2.8L, I assume.

>>If this is correct then IMO, the f2.8L whilst faster than F4 is still NOT fast enough to accommodate all `portrait lens indoor` shots (assuming no flash or reflectors are to be used).

Certainly, F2.8 will be fast enough for many indoor captures, but not all. <<

I want the 28-70mm as an all around lens . I dont mind to get the 24-70mm but i cant find a used one. I think that the 4mm is not a big disadvadange for me . It is one or two steps backwards.

I think that the 28-70mm is not an ideal lens for headshots because I dont want to be too close to my model so I need a fast medium telephoto . If I had the money I would go for the 70-200mm f2.8 IS but..

Sorry for my bad English

I agree with many others here. Keep the 24 - 105 IS. and just get some primes for the times

you need the really wide aperture. I think the 28 - 70 is an older lens that has been

upgraded to the 24 - 70.

The 85 1. 8 is a great choice for you and a lot less money.

>>> .. Sorry for my bad English <<<

No problem: I understand better now.

I still stand by what I first wrote:

I would not sell the 24 to 105F4LIS to buy a used 28 to 70F2.8L. It is not only the 4mm, it is the age and the technology of the 28 to 70 compared with the 24 to 105 and the fact that is second hand.

If it were me, I would wait and save for a new zoom lens, if you do really want f2.8, which I totally understand.

I think the 135F2L is a magnificent portrait lens on a 5D

Good luck with the choice.

I did it today. I gave the 24-105mm and took the 28-70mm f2.8L.

Today I understood how a real "L" lens is!

I think that the AF is faster and the contrast and colours are better.

I also understood today that Canon has two levels of "L" lenses.

The F4L lenses are for serious amateurs but the F2.8 L lenses are the top gear.

I want a used 135mm F2L and I will be OK!