I walked past this and had to see it

donald_ingram1

As I was walking past the Cinema in Rotorua, this poster caught my attention: I just had too see the film.

I think it's been covered on the forum before, but I thought I would just share the poster.

It was actually very good both for the story and for Leica use.

The photojournalist seems to be based on Deborah Copaken Kogan who wrote Shutterbabe.

The M6 with 35 Summicron is generally realistically used: RF tab focusing and thankfully none of that silly

SLR viewfinder and motor drive that directors seem to insist on.

There is a sequence which is shown just a bit to quickly - not with fake motor drive, but I think a second

between shots must have been lost in editing.

When Jennifer Connelly takes a photo of Leonardo DiCaprio at about 0.5m it caused me to instinctively

lean right back in my seat to try to get the RF to focus.<div>00K5f9-35162384.thumb.jpg.e1ef1a3fafe89c8700e2aebbb471df6e.jpg</div>

"The photojournalist seems to be based on Deborah Copaken Kogan who wrote

Shutterbabe."

If that is true what a terrible choice for a character to be modeled on. Spoiled rich girl does

too many drugs and parties a lot while at Harvard, goes to Paris to be a photojournalist,

finds out that men who pride themselves on their machismo are sexist pigs , ends up in

Afghanistan completely unprepared, gets good pictures, gets a small degree of fame from

those, does more drugs and drink, sleeps around a lot, finds out once again that maco

men are sexist pigs, rides fame's coat tails, does more drugs, finds out that Romania was

a horror, that macho men in war zones are sexist pigs, impunes Jim Nachtway, does more

drugs, whines that macismo makes men sexist pigs (but can't stay away from them), ends

up in Russia as the revolutiion starts, does more drugs, decides being stoned all the time,

hanging around with sexist pigs, and sleeping around is a bad idea , becomes a yuppy in

NYC, and writes a self agrandizing book romanticizing her experiences and fails to sell it

to Hollywood.

It's a perfect book for a long plane ride or rainy days at the beach.

Ellis,

Take out all the sex and the drugs and ?Shutterbabe? is actually an accurate representation of a late 80?s freelance/agency photographer - especially the chapter ?Julia?? pp 105-147.

I don?t know about Jim, but Kogan?s portrayal of ?the twins? is real - they sold out to Corbis, and in my opinion deserve no respect.

Regards,

Jose Suarez, Spain

Has this Sunday topic gotten the better of you, Ellis? You sound like a Christian

fundamentalist! Yet, you seem to have read the book completely, so you must have a

genuine interest in morally dubious characters (D.C.K.). Clashing, isn't it?

Besides, it's James Nachtwey with an e. I asign all the other typos to your broken keyboard.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, if you prefer reviews of books by people who haven't read them I can supply as many as you want. For a price.

As for DCK, she was an intensity-junkie. It's not all that uncommon in the rest of the population, and PJs who specialize in armed conflict almost by definition are such. Anyway, I don't see that one has to want a character as a room-mate, friend, lover, or spouse to find them interesting. Bottom line, the book is interesting to a point, her "What it all means" conclusions aren't.

yes I need to use spell check more regularly. I am working on it.

"Yet, you seem to have read the book completely, so you must have a genuine interest in

morally dubious characters (D.C.K.). Clashing, isn't it? "

While I was on vacation I was stuck in a beach house for two drainy days. The book was on

the shelf. it is written in a pretty breathless style --sdesigned to be sold to the movieseven

thearc of the story is designed like one of "high concept " scripts popular in Hollywood in

the 1990s -- physically attractive character starts near the peak of success, peaks, is

brought low by hubris,, and after struggling and learning humility, finds redemption. In

other words: Think "Jerry Maguire" but this time the hero is a woman with a camera! I na

war zone!

As for the Turnley's selling out: If someone offered you that much money you would too in

a heartbeat. And they still get to do what they want to do. I call that splendid good sense.

As DCK I think I remember seeing her early "works" 10 years ago in a photo mag.

A horribly voyeuristic b&w reportage in a crack&poverty-plagued black neighbourhood. Obviously this girl had NO respect whatsoever for the people she photographied (Gene Richards, are you receiving?). It was more like "a day at the human zoo" or "dude, show me the worst this place can offer". Plus she used and over-used a wide-angle lans (more dramatic?) with horrific results...

I remember the captions for the pix in she talked a lot about... herself, so I'd think Ellis's opinion is not ill-formed.

PS : on this side of the Atlantic Nachtwey is a star and DCK is unknown...