I tried digital & I'm back!

<p>Well, I gave it a year. I bought a good used D300 and I have to say that the immediacy of digital has taken the excitement of photography away for me. And its just too geekish navigating my way around all the menu's etc. On with the glasses to check the result, then off with them again to shoot. What a pain. I'm lucky I kept all my Ais lenses and my FM2n, FE2 and F4s. The D300 is for sale to a good home.<br>

At the end of November I am off to Paris for two weeks and with me will be the FE2 and three primes. Thats all, apart from plenty of film. If anyone is there at the same time, I'd be glad of some company.<br>

Steve</p>

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>LOL Well Darkside is because I process my own film and well I have processed digital in the light. And a back-up is always great. Pot holes are not good on the road of life but after we hit one most of us learn that you try to avoid them after that but if you can't you try to just edge the damn thing.</p>

<p>I dropped off a couple of rolls of Kodak C41 I'd shot on one of my Minoltas at my favorite shop Saturday and picked up my CDs today (my favorite shop doesn't run the minilab on weekends but they made up for it last week when the manager was suitably impressed with my 500CM) and there's a certain anticipation/reward that you just can't get from the LCD on the DSLR.</p>

<p>I can see that you are a Nikon guy. My personal 2 cents. You have the Nikon glass, you want the best 35mm camera you can find on the street and you are skeptical about digital... Buy a Nikon F6!</p>

<p>I bought one 2 years ago and I do not regret doing so at all. In fact the only thing I regret is not buying one sooner. In two years never a single fault, always reliable and incredibly accurate exposures. Ergonomically, I have never felt a camera as intuitive in any other body. In pretty much every other camera body I have used there has always been a couple of 'I wish I could do... (fill in blanks)' thoughts in my mind. Two years after owning an F6 and I'm still trying to think of something that it could improve on... I know a few other folk personally who also bought one in the last couple years and we are all blown away.</p>

<p>These are all very subjective opinions! So don't flame me :-)</p>

<p>Cheers<br>

Rick</p>

<p>I have been shooting some digital for a few years since I bought a new D200 but I drifted back to a N80 after a while as I always liked to shoot slides. I just picked up a FM2n in mint condition and I am having fun with that camera. I had to replace the eyepiece with a diopter adjustment which made focusing possible. I do not own an AIS lens currently but my AFD lenses work all right. I do plan on some AIS lenses however when I see a good value to purchase. However I never left film and I am not going to sell my D200 either. </p>

<p>Why settle for just one?<br>

I shoot considerably more film than most people, certainly nowadays, but I shoot digital too. Each has its strengths AND weaknesses.<br>

For scientific recording work in the past, we had to shoot Polaroid 4x5, just to make sure that the 4x5 negatives didn't get get screwed up in the processing, and to make sure exposure was all OK, etc. We wouldn't see the proofs back from the home office for a week or more.</p>

<p>It's rather like color versus B&W. There's no dark side here, just a wonderful kind of immorality (if one takes a religious view of digital versus film - Little-Endians and Big-Endians stuff (Gulliver))</p>

<p>That's a little fey for me, Larry.</p>

<p>I think I'd as soon die in a comfortable bed, with no pain, and surrounded by loved ones, if it's all the same to you. Maybe a nice, 19th-century type post-mortem pose afterwards.</p>

<p>Then again, maybe there's something to be said for scattering your foes before you and hearing the lamentations of their survivors?<br>

Anyway, after I'm dead, I'm pretty sure I won't care much about the digital versus film controversy. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just want to finish my last days in a war zone with a film camera. I hope the winning shot can be developed by whoever finds it. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Im with Larry on this one. I think Robert Capa had the right idea :P</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did the same thing in 2003. I bought a Nikon D100, got bored with the amount of computer time involved then went back to film. I now have about thirty film cameras so I don't need the D100 for backup!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This sounds like me in a few years. Case in point: The day after I bought after my D3100 I got a F801s with the MF21 back...</p>

<p>Picked up the F the other day, started a roll of Ektar in it. I am still trying to convince myself that I need an F3 and a F4s besides. All this to compliment my D80....Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Nikons D40, D300, D700. If I want a real photography feel and enjoyment. I load a Tri-x or Velvia to the oldest of my Nikon, a Nikon F ( no meter) and get out to shoot. The feel of the metal body, a 35 or 50/1.2 or a 135 on it and the second body hanging on my shoulder the Nikkormat, wonderful. The real trill is my beautiful Nikon FA with the motor drive on it. I don't using my F3 lately. Yes, the EM the packet back up camera. 45 years photography, and I never needed a back-up camera for real. Traveling with two cameras, one with a wide angle and the second with a medium tele or tele zoom. Shorting the slides on a light table was more fan then staring on to the monitor. Holding in my hand an FM, FE has more special feeling, them a plastic D300 D700 or any of the new expensive and high tech cameras. Glass on, glass of to see, also bothering me too. Well. You young guys, those, whom panic if no AF, Aperture priority and so on. You right, carrying a computer to take a picture is more HD. To morrow I going to pick up a pair of glass, they called HD glass. To day, everything is getting HD even the chicken soup. Well. To day is nice and sunny, and I going to pick-up my Olympus OM-2 and get some slides out in the beautiful and colorful autumn forest and shoot a roll or two. So long guys. . . . . I wonder, what going to happen with the D300, 700 after 45 years? All of my Nikons, back to the famous "F" working perfectly.. . . Have a nice day.</p>

I'm afraid you will encounter most of your problems if you use film as well, with the exception of being able to view the

shot you just took. I too suffer from those issues, putting on my glasses to see what I just shot then taking them off again

to shoot again but I still think digital has it's place. I love to shoot film, especially MF but very few of my clients refuse to

wait a day much less a week to see their images. The day someone makes a camera that can shoot film and digital at the

same time with the same resolution more or less I'll be in heaven! Until then I will have to bring my Nikon D2X along with

me when I shoot my Mamiya RZ or Hassblad 500cm just as a backup or if forget to bring my meter.

<p>This subject has got me thinking... Even though we are moving towards Nikon-Land I tried a quick experiment.</p>

<p>I used KEH to check out the used prices for a Nikon F6 Film camera price vs a Nikon D2x which I believe was the flagship dSLR released by Nikon in the same year (2004).</p>

<p>There is only 1 used F6 available on KEH in EX+ condition selling for USD 1600. Yep, only 1 owner who wants to part with the last flagship Nikon film body! On the flipside there are 5 D2x (as well as many D2h and D2Xs bodies) for sale. For comparable condition bodies (EX+) the average price is USD 960.</p>

<p>OK, this isn't really a comprehensive analysis of the subject but it at least hints to me that the best in class film bodies will easily outlast in probably both value and function their digital counterparts...</p>

<p>Cheers, Rick</p>

<p>i needed 3 years to accept digital..... now i can say that i detest the excess of sharpness, the absence of the grain, but the way how digital read the shadows is fantastic, compared with analogic. and the exposition is very creative, with the 300, using the spot metod, you have an exposimeter inside the camera that you can use without to move. anyway, is only an instrument. eye is not analogic and not digital.</p>

<p>Hi Eddy. You are right, but, with the technical advance, the photography looses it's value. A good b/w in the past (not mentioning Ansel or others) was X dollar. Today a digital creation of a same value in artistry are half a X value and it's getting even worst. "The customer don't wanted to wait days for the picture". And they pay less and lees to you. Not like a painting, when you has no choice and still, a painting as an art form are mach more valued art item, as a photograph to day. A photograph is getting more of a machine work, then a paintings or other similar art works. I'm not against the digital photography, just it is not the same anymore, you not enjoying the brash works, the ink flow, etc., you pushing buttons, most of the time or all of the time, and your creation has loosing value faster then a speeding bullet, because almost everybody can do it. Yes, your talent is still there, but peoples whom need for real art work are less and less. We approaching the situation, when people don't even printing they images, just showing them on the computer monitor. Ohh, yes, they invented all ready digital frames. And then, there come the digital, virtual girlfriend?</p>