I think I got a bad back (Bronica SQ-A)

joe_hodge

So I recently picked up my first MF outfit from Ebay, and after destroying a few rolls of film, I'm pretty sure I ended up with a bad back. Essentially, the film is not advancing properly while shooting.

What I'm seeing:

• after loading, the counter advances properly to "1"
  • when shooting, the crank turns easily once and stops
  • crank unlocks & turns after releasing the shutter...
  • ...but the frame counter does not move most of the time. If I crank & shoot enough, it will occasionally advance to "2" or "3"
  • developing the film shown many exposures on each of the first two frames, and clear film after that

I have confirmed that the ME lever is in the correct position, and that the retractable gear moves in & out as expected. What really confuses me is that when I turn the crank ON THE BODY, the film advance crank ON THE BACK turns each and every time, but popping the back clearly shows that the film is not advancing. With the back off the camera, advancing the film with the crank ON THE BACK advances the film as expected, as does moving the gear on the back as if it were coupled to the body gear.

I'm guessing that the film advance crank on the back is not directly coupled to the take up spool, which is why I can see the crank on the back turn without the film actually advancing.

I've tries/tested this with two spools of film and probably another 10+ times with just the backing paper, and the behavior is at least consistent. I've also read the manual several times and watched more YouTube videos that I care to remember to be sure that I'm not loading the film incorrectly.

So my question: could this be something I am doing wrong? I don't have another back to test with, but I'd like to eliminate as much user error as possible before paying for servicing, and I'm not confident enough to open it up myself.

......So my question: could this be something I am doing wrong?....

Dont titanic, most of us need some time to get used to a camera like this so I dont think its broken.

I dont know if its a good idea to try out just with the paper, the thickness without film is different, and maybe something slips; and btw, is the back set to 120 and not 220?

And what I understand, the crank on the back is just thought to load the back and set it to 1, so just do so, cock the shutter with crank on the body and after that you attach the back.

And check if the multi- exposure lever is really clicked in the right position.

Have fun^^

Sorry Joe. I have no idea how that happened. Could I have passed out at the keyboard? lol

At least it wasn’t some obscure code I’m not hip enough to follow :) Or a stroke while you were typing - that wouldn’t be good either.

Joe, where are you located? There is a great Bronica/Rollie guy here on Long Island who I am sure can fix this back. He is very reasonably priced and is factory trained. His name is Jimmy Koh.

I’m in DC, and the camera is at Pro Photo in Foggy Bottom. I work right down the street, and I’m expecting to hear from them next week.

• Like 1

He used to be THE East Coast Bronica guru, but last I heard Koh stopped accepting repair business a couple years back: he just has the retail store now. Did he have a change of heart recently?

You may very well be right. He has his ebay store and I know he does walk in repairs and has a ton of cameras (Nikon, Rollie, Leica, Bronica, etc.). But I don't know first hand if he is still accepting repairs on a mail in basis. I will check with him when I stop by to see him. He has always been a gentleman and very helpful. When I had torn down and rebuilt my Contarex, I asked him if he could test the shutter speeds. He walked me over to his tester and went through all the speeds expressing some surprise that I had done the job myself. Since then I have purchased a shutter tester and haven't had to impose on him again but i believe he is still running a full service shop.