I need some help with my "new" 100-yr-old camera

Leslie Reid

I just found my Great Grandfather’s “No.3-A Folding Pocket Kodak Model C” (1909) at the bottom of an old cardboard box. I can get the back off with no problem, but I can’t figure out how to open the front—there’s a pull-down latch on the inset front panel, and the panel is hinged at the base, but opening the latch and gently tugging on it produces no play at all in that front cover, and I don’t want to put any force on it until I understand how it’s supposed to open. There’s no evidence of any other kind of latch mechanism on the outside of the camera. I’ve downloaded a manual for the camera (…amazing to find one on-line…), but that explains nothing about how to open the front, so it seems like it was thought to be blindingly obvious. In that case, it may just be that 100 years of storage wasn't kind to whatever the mechanism was. Does anyone here have experience with one of these, or suggestions of what to do?

The front, with latch partly raised:

D04-_MG_1027.jpg.8afb2fc2fb37254f3387875fc5bf864a.jpg

The back, opened (the fabric bellows appears to be in startlingly good shape):

D04-_MG_1030.jpg.59ea46d7ee4f1835c7432afd25ed2c06.jpg

If you look at the No. 3 (no 'A') FPK at 'Early Photography' (No. 3 FPK - Antique and Vintage Cameras) all three pictured examples seem to have a dimple in the leather on the right side, in line with the top of the folding bed (the photographer's right, if the camera is held with the handle at the top). If your camera also has that dimple, I bet you press that to unfold the camera.
  • Like 1

a dimple in the leather on the right side

That was a really good suggestion, Dustin, and the button there does indeed pull out, but that's actually the mechanism that allows the film canister to be loaded onto the spindle inside the back. Cool website, though--thanks for the link.

And here it is:

D04-_MG_1032.thumb.jpg.59df96c8df70a53d4863d215fcecca93.jpg

And I did eventually find a place in the manual that illustrated how to find what they call the "concealed button" to open the front.

The manual itself is a good read. On using a flash for indoor work: "By the introduction of Eastman's Flash Sheets, picture taking at night has been wonderfully simplified. A package of flash sheets, a piece of cardboard, a pin and a match complete the list of essential extras. With flash sheets, no lamp is necessary, there is a minimum of smoke and they are far safer than any of the self-burning flash powders, besides giving a softer light that is less trying to the eyes."

• Like 2

Nice f/8 Rapid Rectillinear lens on that camera. Bellows looks perfect. Pretty early model since it doesn't have "Autographic" back.

122 size film hasn't been made since about 1973. You can buy it "old stock" on eBay, going price is at least $30 a roll for Verichrome Pan 122 from 1970 or later. Of course then you also need to find a 122 size Nikor reel -- that takes a while.

• Like 1

122 size film hasn't been made since about 1973. You can buy it "old stock" on eBay, going price is at least $30 a roll for Verichrome Pan 122 from 1970 or later. Of course then you also need to find a 122 size Nikor reel -- that takes a while.

Thanks, John! I'd been afraid I wouldn't be able to put film through it. I was thinking I might be able to set it up to use sheet film, but it's been so long since I've done any darkroom work that I'd be starting from scratch--maybe an adventure for the future sometime.

I once got some results out of one of these big old folders by wedging a 35mm film cassette in the feed end using a lump of blue tack. I made film rails with strips of balsa wood painted black, and covered the red window so that film advance was by guesstimation, based on noting the number of turns of the knob using a scrap film. You can get some interesting 35mm panoramic shots like this.
  • Like 1

I once got some results out of one of these big old folders by wedging a 35mm film cassette in the feed end using a lump of blue tack. I made film rails with strips of balsa wood painted black, and covered the red window so that film advance was by guesstimation, based on noting the number of turns of the knob using a scrap film. You can get some interesting 35mm panoramic shots like this.

That is a seriously cool idea, John--thanks!