I need help with quantaray lense compatibility with Nikon dslr

crissy_sherman

<p>Hello, this is my first time posting a question here, I can usually find an answer by searching these forums. The only information I've been able to find on this subject seems to be a few years old and comparing cameras that are not sold new anymore, so I'm looking for some updated information. I currently have a Nikon N60 film camera with Quantaray 100-300mmD, Quantaray 28-80mmD lenses and a Quantaray 2X AF teleconverter. Because the price of film and processing is starting to really add up, I've been considering upgrading to a digital camera. I would love to find something that is compatible with the lenses I already have at minimal cost (as I do not have a lot of funds at my disposal). I've been doing a little research, but it's hard to find information on these 3rd party lenses. I would also like to find out if Nikon currently makes a camera with a built in af motor (I know I'll need this to use auto focus with these lenses). <br>

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions, with this question and all my questions in the past.<br>

Crissy</p>

<p>Those lenses should mount on all Nikon digital SLRs and you can take pictures with them. However, if they have no auto focus motor built into the lenses, they will not auto focus with most of the affordable DSLRs. You are probably better off starting over with a Nikon 18-105mm AF-S lens or even the 18-55mm AF-S, depending on your budget.</p>

<p>The D70 was a good starter DSLR back in 2004. With the way technology is advancing, I hesitate to recommend any camera that is older than 4, 5 years. In particular, the D70 has a poorly designed viewfinder. If you want to get one, make sure you look through that and are happy with it. The D70S and D50 have a similar viewfinder.</p>

<p>Additionally, specific to the D70, there is the so called blinking green light of death (BGLOD) defect, but the D70S does not share that as a common issue.</p>

<p>Thanks Shun, do you feel the same about the D80? It looks to have almost twice the megapixels of the D70 and a larger viewfinder. After searching around, I don't think I can afford much more than the D80 at this time. With that said, I don't want to waste my money on something that is just not worth it. </p>

<p>I always liked my D80, and would probably still be using it if it weren't for my girlfriend wanting it. I made a deal with her and bought a D300. I wouldn't want to go back to the D80 now, but I was really happy with it when I used it. My girlfriend doesn't use it anymore (she's happy with her iPhone and her Holga), but she just tells me that was not because she did not like it. She just can't be bothered to carry it around with her.</p>

<p>If you had enough money to buy a D90 I would definitely recommend that over the D80, but I don't think the D80 will disappoint you. How much are D80's going for by the way? Maybe I should start thinking about selling mine...</p>

<p>Quantaray were like Vivitar, they only sold other manufacturers' lenses rebadged. Many Quantaray lenses were actually made by Sigma, and if you do a Google image search for the equivalent Sigma lens you can probably match them and then find their specifications from old Sigma catalogues.</p>

<p>BTW, if you want full compatibility with those lenses, including keeping the same angle-of-view on digital, then your only option is to buy a full-frame DSLR like the D700.</p>